Torco Accelerator - Alberta

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
think it has ethanol in it, unless i'm mistakin, husky has the same

It doesn't say anything on the pump about it having ethanol in it. I know husky does say it has up to 10% ethanol right on the pump. I thought if it had ethanol they would have to state that on the pump. I could be wrong.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm also going by the husky fuel, i would assume the same as most of the fuel comes from the same trucks from the same refinery, i ran the husky 94 and had no problems, just no idea how fresh fuel was and alcohol absorbs water. also ran 91 premium with av gas, pain mixing gas and questions about which is which.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What turbo kit do you have on your piano dave?
MCX. I've been told I can run premium. I am going to run a little Torco (or AV gas) just for insurance.

FYI: as far as I know only Shell has no ethanol in premium. (I've read that Sunoco 91..Petrocan..also has no ethanol)All premium listed as 93 or 94 has ethanol. Ethanol has higher octane than gas and gives an easy boost in numbers, however ethanol has less energy per unit, so you get higher octane with less power/worse mileage.

Ethanol in gasoline - not good for Marine use, how to buy non-Ethanol gasoline

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
MCX. I've been told I can run premium. I am going to run a little Torco (or AV gas) just for insurance.

FYI: as far as I know only Shell has no ethanol in premium. (I've read that Sunoco 91..Petrocan..also has no ethanol)All premium listed as 93 or 94 has ethanol. Ethanol has higher octane than gas and gives an easy boost in numbers, however ethanol has less energy per unit, so you get higher octane with less power/worse mileage.

Ethanol in gasoline - not good for Marine use, how to buy non-Ethanol gasoline

With all due respect Dave, that is in Ontario. I'm sure Alberta premium (91 octane) doesn't have ethanol. No indiction on the pumps that it contains ethanol and the dude who runs the CardLock in Fernie says, "his premium does not contain ethanol"…...

My sled runs good enough with the Alberta Premium….

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although it's a low boost setup, at 7lbs down here at 1600' I've been running Husky 94 for the past 3 years without any problems. Use the Accelerator for a top up when I know I can only get 91 or lower.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all due respect Dave, that is in Ontario. I'm sure Alberta premium (91 octane) doesn't have ethanol. No indiction on the pumps that it contains ethanol and the dude who runs the CardLock in Fernie says, "his premium does not contain ethanol"…...

My sled runs good enough with the Alberta Premium….
There's only so many plants that make fuel...if the stuff at your local cardlock comes from Shell, should be no ethanol. If it comes from Mohawk/Husky, definately has ethanol. It is Canadian law that a fuel supplier must mix 5% ethanol..."pool average". Shell uses 10% in Bronze, 5% in Silver, and 0% in V-Power premium.

Quote from Petro-Can website:
The Federal Government has regulated that motor gasoline sold in Canada after Sept. 1, 2010 must contain an annual pool average of 5% ethanol. Different provincial mandates also exist, some with higher ethanol pool requirements. Because of these mandates, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have used the huskey ethanal fuel twice in the last 10 years on sleds and each time has turned out bad, one time on a brandnew sled, burned down at the farm and the second a few years back on the 880, egts were over 100f hotter across the board, not sure how the etec would handle the ethanal fuel, but i would try in find 91octane instead

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last year i thought i blew the motor up, threw a code wouldn't come off pulledthe sled from the far side of mtn. took to dealer and said it was detonation, had premium fuel but no idea how fresh, etc. gonna be like dave b use a little boost to just be sure. friggin motors are pricey.
icon7.png

Washy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get a price for the 32 oz bottles. Which way did you decide to go as far a pricing? 32 oz or 5 gallons?

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toluene Is A Common Octane Boosting Component​
Toluene (methyl benzene) gives about 1 octane number boost for each 5%
Toluene has octane rating of 114. So use this formula to figure what octane you get when u mix toluene with gasoline:

Litres of gasoline x Octane (eg.95 or 98) + (Litres of toluene x 114)
Total Litres of Gasoline & Toluene

exampleThe fuel tank capacity of an EVO 8MR is 55 litres. Based on a 30% toluene mixture, filling it with
16.5 litres of toluene and 38.5 litres of 98-octane gasoline will yield a fuel mix of:

(38.5 litres x 98) + (16.5 litres x 114)
55 litres
= 102.8 octane

Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a 12-16 ounces bottle will only raise octane by 0.2 - 0.3, i.e. from 98 to 98.3 octane.

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOSTER

To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses. Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

• 100 oz of toluene for octane boost
  • 25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
  • 3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
The above formula is an "octane booster with cleaning agent and lubricating agent”. Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

Interesting links:

http://www.gtatech.com/news_au_articl.html
http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene/

Precautions:Available Packing Size:

1. BESTCHEM Racing Fuel Additive is highly flammable; store it in a well-ventilated place.
  2. Avoid prolong contact on Skin.
  3. If contact, wash with water & soap.
  4. When handling, use rubber gloves.
18 Litres tin
20 Litres vapour tight drum with RIEKE® FLEXSPOUT®
4 Litres jerry can

Last edited:

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK...got an e-mail back from CT Perf....we can get a 5 gal pail of Torco Accelerator for 366 bucks....so that's $0.57 per oz....but if there is a shelf life once it's opened, maybe a 5 gal can is not the way to go.

I can get a six pac of 32 oz cans (192oz) for 190 bucks from Canadian Power Sports

Waiting for a e-mail back from CT about price for 32ox cans....

A case of 6 - 32oz cans from CT is $158 + Tax
The quote I got for the 5g pail was $325 + Tax

Top Bottom