Top pick for a used quad

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, contemplating getting my first quad for my son and I to ride. We are both experienced with dirt bikes and trikes. Not wanting to lay out for a new one so looking at used. It would be trail ridden and used in hunting camp in the fall. Would like it to have enough power to get the job done but don't need it to be a rocket sled. Hoping to keep the budget around the $5000.00 mark.

Any advantages with one brand or model once they get a few miles on them? Assuming at least minimum maintenance has been performed on a regular basis, how many miles would be considered a high mile bike?

Thanks.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, contemplating getting my first quad for my son and I to ride. We are both experienced with dirt bikes and trikes. Not wanting to lay out for a new one so looking at used. It would be trail ridden and used in hunting camp in the fall. Would like it to have enough power to get the job done but don't need it to be a rocket sled. Hoping to keep the budget around the $5000.00 mark.

Any advantages with one brand or model once they get a few miles on them? Assuming at least minimum maintenance has been performed on a regular basis, how many miles would be considered a high mile bike?

Thanks.

if you have dirtbikes for fun and want a hunting quad to last and be quite... I love the Honda Foreman... can't go wrong... if you find one 2009 and older they don't have rad... you can push williows all day getting your moose out without a worry... i personally ended up with a grizzly 700... front locking axle i like for skeg... but hunting wise you can get around most anything... on that note if you look at the grizzly in the same field is the suzuki king quad... both good machines... but for hunting nothing beats a Honda imhop especially if you go with the FM or manual model

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
almost forgot... yamaha kodiak 450... same class as the honda 500 but has locking front diff very good machine... has proven very reliable... should be able to find nice ones in your price range...

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all got good and bad points. Choose one with a good dealer close buy so getting parts won't be a hassle. If you want fun don't get a Forman, pretty sure a 80 year old man would get bored of the lack of power. For used I would look a the 700 grizzly closely good mix of power and work and in my experiences it's just as reliable as any quad. Brute force 650i is another good fun quad. I had on and the only issues I had with it was my own dumb ass fault. 850 xp would be another good one but might be a bit higher price then what your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do the Polaris 500 H.O.'s stand up in comparison? I know they are smaller in the cc department but happened to run across a 2010 Sportsman 500 H.O. with 700 miles on it for $4000.00, bone stock.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 500 Polaris motor is one of the best motors out there as far as reliability. A good set of tires and they will any where!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 500 Polaris motor is one of the best motors out there as far as reliability. A good set of tires and they will any where!

This ! You can't go wrong with the 500 Sportsman. Great ride, decent power and will do anything you ask of it. I owned one for seven years and it never left me stranded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any quad in the 400 - 500 cc range will be good for you. Once you go 650 and bigger, you will have over heating problems at lower speeds.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How do the Polaris 500 H.O.'s stand up in comparison? I know they are smaller in the cc department but happened to run across a 2010 Sportsman 500 H.O. with 700 miles on it for $4000.00, bone stock.

The Polaris Sportsman 500 HO is a great little quad. I have travelled all the roads/trails around here (upper Elk Valley) and it has got me everywhere. Even up to 8000' with no loss of power nor heating issues. Enough power and they are very durable. With a set of chains for the winter and a blade they push snow quite well also. I think that is a pretty good deal but I haven't looked at used prices so I am no help with that aspect.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand this logic.....?
For the price range he is looking at, he would be looking at 08 and older. 08 Cat 800's had a bad overheating problem. 06 & 07 Yam and Can 700 & 800 had the same issues and I'm sure there is more out there.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
700 king quad or a yam grizzly would be my choice, Stay away from kawasaki, polaris n can am in my opinion, they are usually owned by performance seeking crowd and have the crap driven out of them. Vinson 500 is a bullet proof atv also.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year polaris 500 are we talking?

I have a 95 400 xplorer and there's lots of room for power/reliability there...but then again it is a 2 stroke

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a 95 400 xplorer and there's lots of room for power/reliability there...but then again it is a 2 stroke

I been there and would say that is one to stay away from

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

avoid these like herpes !!!!

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got king quad and its been very good so far, bought my wife a kodiak 450 and she went everywhere we did this weekend. yes the foreman is a great reliable quad but with that solid rear axle makes for a LONG day of riding!

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ended up buying the Sportsman 500. The fellow I bought it from owned it from new and runs a sled / quad repair business. He replaced it with a new 570.

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom