top end gone

mikecbi

Reaction score
I have a 07 800R and the top end is gone. One cylinder wall is cracked and the other is scortched. Bottom end is fine but when i asked the mechanic what the cause was for the top end to go he said that it could be a gas problem or snow. None of this makes sense to me. Wonderring if anyone can give me some ideas to what it might b. I think that its my oil injection because i whent riding with a fella with a new sled and he burned way more oil than i did in 2 days

lane3030

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 800R and the top end is gone. One cylinder wall is cracked and the other is scortched. Bottom end is fine but when i asked the mechanic what the cause was for the top end to go he said that it could be a gas problem or snow. None of this makes sense to me. Wonderring if anyone can give me some ideas to what it might b. I think that its my oil injection because i whent riding with a fella with a new sled and he burned way more oil than i did in 2 days

if you didn't burn any oil, could be your lines had water, froze up and the oil didn't get through, if your running ethanol gas, well it doesn't matter how much oil it uses, you're gonna blow the top end.

mikecbi

Reaction score
ok well i got the top end done and they say that it can't b the oil injection because the bottom end was still in pretty good shape. He thinks that its snow or the carburator that got the motor so hot.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be bad reed boots [ runs lean ] , carb pluged up , belt dust in the cylinder, snow dust.... all will scorch a pistion too...

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok well i got the top end done and they say that it can't b the oil injection because the bottom end was still in pretty good shape. He thinks that its snow or the carburator that got the motor so hot.

watch for the snow in the intake, along with belt dust. Air intake sometimes doesn't seal 100% and will wipe it out. Make sure you run some extra oil in your tank for first three tanks or so to help with break in.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take the outer air box off the side panel and put in some prefilter on the holes in the bottom air box

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take the outer air box off the side panel and put in some prefilter on the holes in the bottom air box

I just did this to my REV a couple months ago using some Frogzkin. Thought i had a picture to post but can't find the darn thing. Grrr, hate that cause i know it's here somewhere.

Braaap.

Reaction score
get him to check your crank runout
it may look all good but crank can be way out
seen it lots

extrmsled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
warm up extra good because there is no thermostat in the head of a 07
Seen lots of 07 pistons gone due to cold running
with a engine rebuild he should have checked the carbs jetts for any problems

mikecbi

Reaction score
Thx for all the tips. I wish that i would of read all this before they put it back together. There going to check the carb out and hook it up to the computer for a diagnostis check so hopefully they will find out the reason that the top end had gone to ch!t.

mikecbi

Reaction score
Some luck i have. Now the bottom end is shot they tell me after they put the top end on. I got them to drop the pice allot after a visit with the manager but pretty much a brand new sled now but still dont know why this all happened. Hope they have an answer for me soon. Iam missing out on some good riding.

poorboy

Reaction score
i feel your pain just put new motor in my 07 how many kms and hours on yours mine had 2800kms 85 hrs

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Same issue with the PTO side on mine. Definitely ice or snow for mine. It was minus 29 on a sled rally and she was following me fairly closely. Lots of snow dust.
Reed boot was also wearing on the rubber gasket.
Put in a whole new engine with boisen reeds.

Mine had 4288km. That is great Km for this sled but it was not rode that hard from my daughter.

Definately remember to run oil in your fuel tank as previously posted for a few tanks and just take it easy for break in.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same issue with the PTO side on mine. Definitely ice or snow for mine. It was minus 29 on a sled rally and she was following me fairly closely. Lots of snow dust.
Reed boot was also wearing on the rubber gasket.
Put in a whole new engine with boisen reeds.

Mine had 4288km. That is great Km for this sled but it was not rode that hard from my daughter.

Definately remember to run oil in your fuel tank as previously posted for a few tanks and just take it easy for break in.

4200 km is great engine life. Wow. That's shitty that doo guys think thats acceptable. My brother has 3000 miles on a m8 with 12 lbs boost and still has a solid motor. I have 3500 km on my nitro combined at home and mountains already this year

Top Bottom