Too close to a grizzly (and her cub)

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and my 5 year old son and I were on a small 5K hike in Kananaskis County on Saturday. We started our hike from the Kananaskis Lodge and was just about 2/3 done our loop that takes back to the Lodge and 40 yards down on the path ( as we came around a bend) we saw a head of a bear around a bush. The bear stepped out and I thought it was a blonde black bear because there was no hump on it's back and it had a neck and shoulders of a black bear but it has golden colored and light brown fur on its head. It turned toward us and stood on its back legs and tried to catch our scent :eek::eek:. The bear stood +6' to the top or it's head. I told my son and wife to turn back slowly and DON'T RUN. We saw that the bushes behind the bear that there was another smaller brown animal (assume it was the cub). We backed off 15 yds and I told my wife and son to keep walking and I stayed behind a bit close to the bend in the path. I looked down the path to see if the bear(s) were headed to us or away from us. Then I saw "The Sow" :eek: Big hump on the shoulders , darker brown than the cub and thick main on her back - it was huge ! I never ever seen a bear that big ( I have only seen black bears.) It turns out we saw the cub and mistook it for a brown bear young adult. She crossed the path going south and we headed north. We must have met 10 other people hiking and walking on the same path and we told them what we saw. When we got back to the Lodge we called the park "Bear Line" and described what we saw. They said that her and and her grizzly cub are a known entity in that general area and she has been seen by several others this summer and this was probably bear #105 ( appearantly most grizzlies are tagged ). I still feel that we were very fortunate that this situation didn't go very bad. I know that this could happen when hiking but it was too close for my liking especially being close to a high populated area. I have been close to black bears in the past but this was spooky.

Last edited by a moderator:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and my 5 year old son and I were on a small 5K hike in Kananaskis County on Saturday. We started our hike form the Kananaskis Lodge and was just about 2/3 done our loop that takes back to the Lodge and 40 yds down on the path ( as we came around a bend) we saw a head of a bear around a bush. The bear stepped out and I thoght it was a blonde back bear because there was no hump on it's back and it had a neck and shoulders of a black bear but it has golden colored and light brown fur on its head. It turned toward us and stood on it back legs and tried to catch our scent :eek::eek:. The bear stood +6' to the top or it's head. I told my son and wife to turn back slowly and DON'T RUN. We saw that the bushes behind the bear that there was another smaller brown animal (assume it was the cub). We backed off 15 yds and I told my wife and son to keep walking and I stayed behind a bit close to the bend in the path. I looked down the path to see if the bear(s) were headed to us or away from us. Then I saw "The Sow" :eek: Big hump on the shoulders , darker brown than the cub and thick main on her back - it was huge ! I never ever seen a bear that big ( I have only seen black bears.) It turns out we saw the cub and mistook it for a brown bear young adult. She crossed the path going south and we headed north. We must have met 10 other people hiking and walking on the same path and we told them what we saw. When we got back to the Lodge we called the park "Bear Line" and described what we saw. They said that her and an her grizzly cub are a known entity in that general area and she has been seen by several others this summer and this was probally bear #105 ( appearantly most grizzlies are tagged ). I still feel that we were very fortunate that this situtation didn't go very bad. I know that this could happen when hiking but it was too close for my liking especially being close to a high populated area. I have been close to black bears in the past but this was spooky.

WOW very scary. Glad that you made it out of that encounter unscathed.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great story, thanks for sharing. Really glad to hear that all went well

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. That would be totally a scary experience. Thank god you knew what you were doing during a bear encounter.

Did you have any bear spray with you for this event? Just curious.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. That would be totally a scary experience. Thank god you knew what you were doing during a bear encounter.

Did you have any bear spray with you for this event? Just curious.

We have bear spray but we didn't take it on this trip ( I use it for fishing trips and more remote hikes) We thought it was unlikely that we would see anything on this trip since the trail was busy and alot of people with dogs ( too much racket for bears ). We kept talking through the entire hike and my son is always yappin so i felt we shouldn't really suprise anything. I was truly wrong on all my assumptions. We could hear music from the patio bar at Lodge for most of our hike - I guess bears likie music (classic rock) as well.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
We've been in that area hiking twice this year (Rawson off Upper K lake, Black Prince, Elbow Lake etc)...lots of activity but we've not seen any personally...I bought bear spray this year as the reports of encounters like yours are numerous and getting more frequent.

Backing up and returning the way you came seems to be the common answer for dealing with an encounter.

Glad all good.

Apex162

Reaction score
Zar we golfed at Kananaskis an heard the bear and her cub walked right through hole 14 and 6. They are in the area and are tracked well by fish and wildlife.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have bear spray but we didn't take it on this trip ( I use it for fishing trips and more remote hikes) We thought it was unlikely that we would see anything on this trip since the trail was busy and alot of people with dogs ( too much racket for bears ). We kept talking through the entire hike and my son is always yappin so i felt we shouldn't really suprise anything. I was truly wrong on all my assumptions. We could hear music from the patio bar at Lodge for most of our hike - I guess bears likie music (classic rock) as well.

I commend you for keeping cool and doing the right thing. Some good points about "assumptions" in your post above. All in all a postivie expereince for you, your family and the bears. Thanks for sharing. Great story.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I commend you for keeping cool and doing the right thing. Some good points about "assumptions" in your post above. All in all a postivie expereince for you, your family and the bears. Thanks for sharing. Great story.

One concern I had was when we met a female jogger on our way back a few minutes after we last seen the bear . She was wearing an Ipod and she had her head down. My wife ran a few steps after her to get her attention ( She was obvisouly lost in her thoughts and music). We told her what we had seen and she was not convinced that it was a big deal. My wife pleaded with her that she should not want to run between the sow and cub and that it was most likely a grizzly and that bears get pissed off if you are running towards them :nono:. She finally agreed and turned around and jogged back. As a joke to all of this - I thought that the bear could be listening to a nice Ipod had we not stopped her.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Did they look like this:eek:

Attachments

• DSC00422 (2).jpg
    DSC00422 (2).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 39

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they look like this:eek:

Yeah - the only difference I recall it that the one I saw had lighter coloered fur on the ears and chest . Yes light brown shoulders and darker face ( just like your picture ). Where did you see this one ?

Top Bottom