To bring gf on sledding trip or not to???

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just have a question for all of ya? Would any of you bring your girlfriend on a sledding trip to the mountains if you had an extra sled but she has never sledded in the mountains before? Would it be too much of a hassle because the mountain snow is different? Or you wouldn't mind because her company would be great no matter how many times she would get stuck lol...

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables in this question. I am a lady snowmobiler so my input is from a female perspective .
Do you sled now?
Have you taken an AST 1 course
Do you have a beacon, probe , shovel and know how to use it?
It isn't just about the stucks because we all get stuck ( if your not stuck your not playing) but you need to know how to ride. You can't just jump on a sled the very first time and be a mountain rider.
I defiantly need more info before making an opinion.

Reaction score
I've sledded all my life but just in good Ole Saskatchewan so nothing like the mountains. No I haven't taken that course, although, I could always take it. As for the beacon, probe, etc no I don't have any of that but it wouldn't be hard to get and I have been told about how to use all those things. I've never sledded in the mountains but I have seen videos and pictures and heard about it and it sounds and looks fun but I keep getting back the same response that it would be to stressful... I hate hearing that because You don't know about anything unless you try it first.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of us have taken our other half's up, when u get super tired and shut down is not a place in the backcountry for that

Cause if u ride your sled up, you have to ride it out

And don't say it won't happen, cause it will, just have to push past and see what and we're too next

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My main riding partner was my wife. Main thing is be patient (which is hard and I wasn't always) and if she has a comparable sled. I see to often where the gf has a short track or an old sled and the boyfriend has the new fancy sled. She should have the better sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've sledded all my life but just in good Ole Saskatchewan so nothing like the mountains. No I haven't taken that course, although, I could always take it. As for the beacon, probe, etc no I don't have any of that but it wouldn't be hard to get and I have been told about how to use all those things. I've never sledded in the mountains but I have seen videos and pictures and heard about it and it sounds and looks fun but I keep getting back the same response that it would be to stressful... I hate hearing that because You don't know about anything unless you try it first.

Just a quick side note.... if you feel that you would like try the mountains you have to have avalanche training. Its not really an option in my opinion you only get one chance. There has been a large amount of avalanche activity as of recent and you have to know how to make the proper choices when choosing your routes. At the very least hire an experienced guide and take his/her advice.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally i would love it if my wife wanted to go riding. I have been riding for a long time with a variety of people and am of the opinion that a great day in the hills can be made as much by the people you share it with as the terrain you ride in. That being said i know that her back wouldn't handle wrestling a sled around all day so i have all but given up on bringing her sledding and bought a SXS so she can at least join in the summer.

I would most definitely want anyone i ride in the mountains with to have their AST1 as well as all of the proper gear as well.

Sledding is a great sport for the entire family, not just guy trips.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have been riding for years and are comfortable with your sled, that is the main thing. Now "mountains" covers a lot of different types of terrain from groomed trails and easy to "how the heck did I get here" and that applies to all of us. Always a good idea to start with a known "easier" area and work your way up from there.

As far getting tired, Tex is right in that you may need to pace yourself a bit. As a getting past middle age guy, I know a little about that and I am sure you will be fine. Sno-Bungie is also my best friend as it makes getting unstuck is pretty easy. Pace yourself.

I was in the bowls just past Babette Lake in the Kakwa this weekend and there were about 3 or 4 ladies who were ripping up the place. Their skill set was far superior to mine so clearly a big part of this is learned technique not strength and anyone with ability and the will to learn will do fine.

Big thing is to ride with an experienced group or guide who know the area and have some avalanche avoidance skills and that applies regardless of gender.

As to the sled, we are getting to the time of year when it is easier to go anywhere as the snow is setting up assuming the second sled is in good mechanical condition. I say go and your boyfriend is lucky that you are interested in this.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would and I have, but only when I know it is either her and I or the other riders in my group are going to bring theirs, then everyone is on the same page and we know it will be a slower day or at least a day with more stops and a place to warm up ( my wife gets cold easily). The group is only as fast as the slowest rider, this goes for atving as well, but in that instance my wife rips.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My suggestion, "GO FOR IT AND DOIT". Hire a professional guide, make sure he is CERTIFIED. He will take care of you and make sure your safe, he will also give you a basic lesson on using the beacon and why you would wear it. He would most like keep you and ride in very safe areas yet you would get a very good introduction to mountain riding. There are many different levels and style of mountain riding and just because your riding a mountain snowmobile west of the Alberta border it doesn't mean your in avalanche danger or even in the steep mountains, there are alot of tree covered hills with open meadows also that many do consider as mountains. Above tree line travel is best for advance riders but possible for new mountain riders with a very good guide.
The guide will be the key to your experience as an introduction.
As for the avy gear and use of the gear, a reputable guiding service will supply you with all you need including basic usage and there is no need to buy the gear until you are ready to do so, this is also true with AST1.

Once your hooked on this style of riding then AST course and proper gear is a very good idea.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just have a question for all of ya? Would any of you bring your girlfriend on a sledding trip to the mountains if you had an extra sled but she has never sledded in the mountains before? Would it be too much of a hassle because the mountain snow is different? Or you wouldn't mind because her company would be great no matter how many times she would get stuck lol...

Absolutely. I have even taken my better half once. Turns out it's not her thing. I've taken newbies to the mountains several time. The only thing that one needs to remember when taking a first timer is to let them set the pace. Don't take them to terrain that will make them feel uncomfortable. As for the AST 1 course it would be nice if you had it but I don't think forking out the cash to take a course that you may never use is a little offside. Go with some one that has their AST 1 and have them show you how to use the equipment. If you traveling with some that really cares about you, you shouldn't have to use it because as a first timer you likely will not be exposed to the avalanche hazards that most riders may experience.
Your boyfriend would have to remember to be patient with you, as will the others in your group. If you go with a bunch of hot shots that only want to push as far as they can go then best you stay home or find a new boyfriend. If he does decide to take you, don't do anything that "you" don't feel comfortable doing just because you want to impress him. Don't expect to climb the highest mountain, cut the best ****ty, or pull the most rad jumps on your first time out. Start small and work your way up and you should do just fine.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My suggestion, "GO FOR IT AND DOIT". Hire a professional guide, make sure he is CERTIFIED. He will take care of you and make sure your safe, he will also give you a basic lesson on using the beacon and why you would wear it. He would most like keep you and ride in very safe areas yet you would get a very good introduction to mountain riding. There are many different levels and style of mountain riding and just because your riding a mountain snowmobile west of the Alberta border it doesn't mean your in avalanche danger or even in the steep mountains, there are alot of tree covered hills with open meadows also that many do consider as mountains. Above tree line travel is best for advance riders but possible for new mountain riders with a very good guide.
The guide will be the key to your experience as an introduction.
As for the avy gear and use of the gear, a reputable guiding service will supply you with all you need including basic usage and there is no need to buy the gear until you are ready to do so, this is also true with AST1.

Once your hooked on this style of riding then AST course and proper gear is a very good idea.
This is the best advice so far, as to the naysayers about how she will slow up the group or get stuck to much, they must not remember their first days in the mountains.
As stated earlier the real number 1 factor is quality of sled she is riding. Anyone on an inferior machine will have trouble keeping up.
Go for it , Enjoy it, Learn from it.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my wife for the first time this year. She really enjoyed it and it really opened her eyes in understanding what and how we rode.

MY feeling this is you will only be as successful as you or your boyfriend have the patience to be. If he's going with a whole group of friends who are experienced, they unfortuntaely may or may not have the patience for a beginner. You're going to get stuck at some point. The real saving grace IMO, if there was a good time to go, it seems as though spring conditions are early this year and a person can go almost anywhere without much trouble. This is probably prime opportunity for you.

As was mentioned, understanding how avalanche gear works, etc is crucial.

Whatever you choose remember the point of riding is to enjoy and have fun.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you have to 'beg' your boyfriend to take you with him to the mountains, your wasting your time with him.

The snow isn't different, there's just more of it. Just as there are dangers on the prairies, there are dangers in mountains. Be aware, take your time, and you'll be just fine.

Buy or rent a beacon, and take a minute or two on how to work it. A probe, and shovel are also a must.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The answer to your question is yes, I would, and have. It's a great experience. That said, not all groups want to take a newbie, this is something that would have to be addressed before the trip with all parties involved, and the terrain should be fairly mild the 1st time out to help boost confidence. Patience will be required, both from your significant other, and yourself, as you WILL get stuck - that's part of learning. Hiring a guide is a good idea, and some training on avy equipment is a must BEFORE you go. Whether or not you need AST training for your 1st ride largely depends on how experienced your group is, and whether they want to push into "iffy" terrain - a responsible group will not push you out of your comfort zone, nor will they lead you into high-risk areas. I've been mountain riding almost 25 years, and my best trips are with my wife. She puts on her "big girl" pants when we go, and the 1st ride of the season in bottomless powder gets stuck frequently, helps dig out her sled without complaining, and takes an express interest in keeping her machine maintained, too. (BTW, she rides a newer ProRMK that is set up for her). So my advice is this: Don't play the "princess" role, have a positive attitude, and be willing to learn. Ensure your significant other is willing to be patient, understanding, and to run at a slower pace (if going with a group, make sure they are all in agreement to guide and look out for the "newbie".) We were all new riders once, and there is NO reason that both sexes cannot enjoy this sport.
Ensure the machine is set up for your weight / height, and is capable of getting around the back country. a "crossover" sled isn't a mountain sled, no matter how much the manufacturers claim it is. Trail suspension calibrations simply don't work well in deep powder snow... might be better off to rent.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you asking him to go, or is he asking you to go?

Evryone was a newbie once. Small girls on older sleds wont have fun. His buddies most likely wont want a girl in the group.

You already ride and being a sasky, cold isnt an issue. Whooped trails are brutal out here some days, but im gussing you know about those too.

Can you tip your sled on 1 ski and hold it? That is the key to mtn riding. Next learn to go down hill, tip it on its side and go back up ... bam, your now a mtn rider ...

Load up your sled and get out here !!!

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I enjoy riding with the wife. But I set aside days to ride just with her. I might ride two or three days with the boys and take her on last day. It's pretty physically demanding and one or two days is lots of time for her. Ride within your limits is the main thing. I like to push her a little but only what I know she can do. She has the gear and knows how to use it but as for having the AST before you go I wouldn't worry as long as your significant other doesn't put u in those situations. (Now I've just pissed of the safety peeps)I bring my kids up to the cabins and play around. But I also live close to really good sledding areas with good safe play areas. If I had to travel long distance for a trip with wife it has to be about her and her abilities. If the guys in the group have a problem with it then you don't want to go. When we ride we ride to the lowest guys ability and we keep an eye on and help out newbs. Nothing worse than getting discouraged first ride out. Just my 2 cents

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you are going if you could spend one day in Sicamous and get a day with Rene St Onge a Eagle Valley Lodge he would have you ridding circles arround those boys. LOL

Top Bottom