To bring gf on sledding trip or not to???

Reaction score
And haha ya I'm not as daring as I use to be when I was young. I find as I get older I have more fear haha. I'm the same as your wife with being afraid of hills but I find once I go up and down a couple times I warm up and then rip around. When I was younger nothing scared me, not hills nothing but things change lol.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My woman rides the mountains once or twice a year. She doesn't get off on it like me but she understands why I go every Thursday. I'm very lucky. It's easy to take new riders if you pick easy areas. Stay out of the trees while they learn. Don't rip ahead and leave them feeling like they are slowing down the group. But One thing I can say is some peoples thumbs are too far from they're brains. Not everyone can ride sleds. Only one way to find out.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My woman rides the mountains once or twice a year. She doesn't get off on it like me but she understands why I go every Thursday. I'm very lucky. It's easy to take new riders if you pick easy areas. Stay out of the trees while they learn. Don't rip ahead and leave them feeling like they are slowing down the group. But One thing I can say is some peoples thumbs are too far from they're brains. Not everyone can ride sleds. Only one way to find out.

Every Thursday? You go to the mountains from Edmonton every Thursday?!! I am jealous indeed!

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only wish I could find a good girl that wanted to come to the mountains. I'd be more than happy to have a slower ride, help someone learn how to ride (I'm no expert, but I can get around), and share my love of the sport.
We tend to spend a lot of time digging anyways!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my fiancé up for her first mountain trip this year. Since then she's come up with me 3 other times for a total of 4 trips this year. I couldn't pick a better way to spend a weekend then with her in the mountains, it's like a mini vacation for us! Watching her improve from trip to trip also puts a big smile on my face. I can honestly say she's now outriding all the newer guys I've taken up. It was pretty cool talking to her the other day and her remembering Mcbride, Vale, Revy, and Blue River and being able to give some input on where she wants to go next!

As as others have said a proper sled makes a big difference. You also need to make sure it's set up right so you can throw it around a bit. You will get stuck but that's part of the sport. Don't get frustrated and figure out what got you stuck in the first place then try it again. Slowly things will start to click and you'll become more comfortable and confident. I also would recommend buying your own avy gear. To learn we started by hiding the beacon around the house and finding it. We then moved to the back yard. We will also hide it in the trees to practice when we are up. I would highly recommend this exercise before you head into the backcountry.

As as far as the boyfriend and guys trips goes he's missing out. My fiancé and I make it so she comes out every 2nd time or so. This seems to work well for us.

We've got two more trips planned for the year and couldn't I be happier! I would say go for it, you won't regret it!!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with my Ex wife, ex Gf's,, current Gf's. I personally love women who ride and I know some that are pretty fawkin good(better than most dudes)

I also have a lot more patients with a pretty girl stuck or what not, than some guy. I say Braaaap it up!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, I never expected all these responses! Thank you everyone, I appreciate it! I was with my bf for 5 years and the first year he went on a couple sledding trips without me and I thought nothing of it because we were freshly dating and I thought to let him go have fun and not have to worry about me. Then he stopped going for a couple years because he was fixing his sleds and maybe I held him back because I was upset that he would never invite me to go.. Then lately he went on a couple trips not inviting me so I had to ask and he would respond that he is going with guys and they are not bringing there girlfriends or there was no room or I will get stuck all the time and everyone will be annoyed. So I was upset that I never got invited and that he got to go enjoy the mountains with the sleds and talked about how fun and exciting it was but yet I never new because I never got to go so I became very interested and wanted to go experience all the fun everyone talks about but I never got the chance, so I just wanted to ask the question on the thread to see maybe see his point on nor bringing me.

I don't know how old you are and not that it should matter but I do know that when I was younger I was a dick about sharing the guys weekend of riding with my wife. As Im older and it has been decided over the years that the wife doesn't share my passion for sledding she has accepted that its not common ground.

My suggestion to you is find a couple that would share the weekend with you. Make an extra trip out of it. Two guys and then better halves out for a weekend of fun with some sledding mixed in. Two hands to each story. I was afraid to take the wife to the mountains because of the fear I knew she would have, however I really wish she could see what I have the pleasure of seeing a few times a year. If she had forced my hand I would have had to show her or let her go. Best advice I have for you. I have been married now for 18 yrs and counting and some on the site would say I am young guy yet.

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with my Ex wife, ex Gf's,, current Gf's. I personally love women who ride and I know some that are pretty fawkin good(better than most dudes)

I also have a lot more patients with a pretty girl stuck or what not, than some guy. I say Braaaap it up!
I agree with what lilduke says if he says Braaap it UP!... then we Braaap it up!!! lilduke is qualified ta show countrygirlatheart and your friends if ya need it.. just saying

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought...load your sled, get some other gals that want to ride the mountains, find a guide on here, tell the boyfriend it's his turn to stay home, head west and have the time of your life!! You don't have to get into the steep and deep to have a blast in the mountains. There is lots of trail riding for the novice rider and in areas with very minimal risk. A good guide, certified or not, that knows the area and understands your skill level will not take you into places you or your sled can't handle. To ride in the mountains in any capacity, trails or powder, is truly a breathtaking experience for a first timer. If you have the opportunity, don't miss out on it...just do it!!

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought...load your sled, get some other gals that want to ride the mountains, find a guide on here, tell the boyfriend it's his turn to stay home, head west and have the time of your life!! You don't have to get into the steep and deep to have a blast in the mountains. There is lots of trail riding for the novice rider and in areas with very minimal risk. A good guide, certified or not, that knows the area and understands your skill level will not take you into places you or your sled can't handle. To ride in the mountains in any capacity, trails or powder, is truly a breathtaking experience for a first timer. If you have the opportunity, don't miss out on it...just do it!!
Be that girl... show independence... your man will see u in a totally different way.. i agree just dooo it ....Meow!!!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen this on Facebook this am, fits the o.p I think
138cb73830d57bdce8a23dfadf9a8694.jpg

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ladies ride in Revelstoke is coming up, I don't know the exact dates but that would be a good trip to go to. GSR in Golden BC rents everything and they can guide. The Betties tend to have women's rides, maybe one of those ladies can chime in. So many options for you to get your first mountain ride in. Just make sure to rent or have the minimum transceiver, probe and shovel and take a bit of time to practice with them. Hope you get to make it out to the mountains! Cheers!
~Krista~

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ladies ride in Revelstoke is coming up, I don't know the exact dates but that would be a good trip to go to. GSR in Golden BC rents everything and they can guide. The Betties tend to have women's rides, maybe one of those ladies can chime in. So many options for you to get your first mountain ride in. Just make sure to rent or have the minimum transceiver, probe and shovel and take a bit of time to practice with them. Hope you get to make it out to the mountains! Cheers!
~Krista~

Kathy has announced this morning that the Revy Ladies Ride will be cancelled this year due to the conditions and with all the recent fatalities.
Condolences to those who have have passed.
Please be educated and ride safe.

SRogers

Reaction score
I am a wife out there riding and learning more every trip and loving the experience as well teaching/learning from my 4 kids 9-14 years. Did the LaNina Sled Camp with my daughter (13) in January...fantastic course, my daughter shows it's not about size it's technique that matters and Nadine is fantastic to point out what you need, she said she has a beginner camp and if interested get on it and check her out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I would love for you to have is a positive first experience in the mountains where you feel supported, and not pressured. I have a bit of hesitation with those who are urging you to push your boyfriend into "letting you come".. a pissing match and putting you in a situation that is less than supportive could not only be unpleasant, but dangerous. If your boyfriend wants you to come and the other dudes are on the same page, that is a good thing. If there is some reluctance or resentment, it may not be wise to push to go, instead opt for a different weekend where you could go with your man, and with other people who are supportive of your learning curve.
I am lucky, although I often am the only girl in our riding group, our guys are good to me, and like when I am there riding. they'll invite me to go out for a ride even when husband can't come. If your boyfriend and his friends have saved up for a balls to the wall kind of ride and this is one of their only getaways to the mountains they may be possessive of that time and not want you to be there. Wrong or right, it is just how some people think.
If you need some help and support along the way, please reach out to other women mountain riders. We have a group called Sled Sisters on Facebook, which is a great place to meet some awesome shredding ladies. You can add me as a friend on facebook, please send me a message first to let me know it's coming lol.. lots of spammers out there sending fake friend requests wanting the world to have fake oakleys. If you truly love sledding, this could be the beginning of something awesome for you. Lets help you get the best possible start!

Trish Drinkle

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My wife rides with me, we usually are in a group with other couples/singles of all ages and abilities. We always manage to keep everyone safe and happy, my wife likes the flats/meadows/trails combined with the views and atmosphere. A lot of times while a bunch of us play she will just sit back on her sled and watch taking it all in.

Top Bottom