Tire Sizes??

dirtbikersledder

Reaction score
Hey out there I have a rear tire size of 140/80 18 what sizes of tires can i run on this rim and what makes do you guys recommend?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey out there I have a rear tire size of 140/80 18 what sizes of tires can i run on this rim and what makes do you guys recommend?
the first number is the tread width, 140mm is fairly wide. it depends on your model of bike, and how much meat will fit in the swingarm. wide tread will shine in loose conditions such as mud and sand, as well as climbing hills. narrower tire will work well in loam or loose dirt for cornering ability, 110 or 120 is a good all around size.

the second number is the sidewall height, in aspect to the tire's tread width. basically the higher the number the taller the tire. a taller sidewall will allow for some flex, providing relief from sharp hits from rocks or fallen trees while trail riding. a shallow sidewall is desirable for moto-x for the lack of flex, good for "railing" around corners especially in ruts.

the third number is the rim diameter size, in your case an 18 inch rim.

the kind of riding you do and on what surface determines tire size/style/compound, as well as power output and wallet thickness. Kenda Trackmasters are a decent tire and reasonably priced, Dunlop and Michelins are high quality and will set you back a couple hundy.

Top Bottom