Tire Options

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting some different tires for my sportsman and just wondering what would be a good choice. Lookin for something more aggresive than stock but thats good on rock/gravel trails snow and moderate mud. I know many of you like outlaws but they seem a little too aggresive for alot of trail riding. So I'm looking at mudzillas as they seem to be aggresive but probably not designed for the the mud like the laws. I hear the Mudlites are a light duty/cheap tire........ how are the zillas? any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks

500 King

Reaction score
Over the years, I've had all kinds of tires. Some of the ones you've mentioned. My favorites are still Bighorns. However, a mud tire they are NOT. My next set of tires will be Interco Radial Reptiles. I guy that rides with us has them, and they are awesome. Excellent ride, handling, and all around trail tire... that will handle some mud.

Here's a pic...

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put "Super Grip Super Lites", which is a mudlite copy on my quad. They have 1 1/4" lugs and I like them. Pretty good for trail riding and when you need a little traction, you got it !!!I plow snow with my quad and these tires really work well for traction.Rode lots on shale and rock trails and have no complaints with these tires !! I would buy these tires again !!
When I was looking for tires I REALLY wanted "Bighorns" but got a great deal on my Superlites. EVERYONE that has Bighorns loves them (Researched on the internet and guys I've rode with). A GREAT trail tire !!
Good Luck, buying tires isn't as easy as you would think. SO MANY CHOICES !!!

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also ride the 800 HO. sportsman 4x4 and am looking at putting on the Maxxis Zillas. 28 s. From the reading i have done this looks like the best choice. Let us know what you buy.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 28" Zillas on my Outlander 800. Awesome tire for all conditions, but they do have an aggressive lug which can bust a lot of stuff. I ride with a few guys that have Bighorns that go basically everywhere I did. That's what I'll be running on my wife's Ranger this year.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running big horns and they seem good.

I will be putting them on the rzr in spring.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bighorn's are heavy, and are better for rocky, gravel terrain.

Zilla's don't break stuff, lift's and riding style does.

I'll keep my Zilla's until some better comes along, great in deep snow, mud and trails,..

But we all have choices, you just have to make one for yourself.

Looking at getting some different tires for my sportsman and just wondering what would be a good choice. Lookin for something more aggresive than stock but thats good on rock/gravel trails snow and moderate mud. I know many of you like outlaws but they seem a little too aggresive for alot of trail riding. So I'm looking at mudzillas as they seem to be aggresive but probably not designed for the the mud like the laws. I hear the Mudlites are a light duty/cheap tire........ how are the zillas? any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks

Mudzilla's are the big brother of the Zilla's strictly put out for mud, I do not recommend them.

If you want an all round tire

Mudbugs
Zilla's
Kenda Bearclaws
Big horns

Not listed in any specific order.

Last edited:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bighorn's are heavy, and are better for rocky, gravel terrain.

Zilla's don't break stuff, lift's and riding style does..

I do all 3 of these things. Ha.

Zillas are a great choice, i love mine. however on ice and snow the rubber becomes very hard and doesnt get the best traction on ice...i air mine down to 4 lbs in the winter, and drive nicer lol.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 850XP, I run Zillas for spring, summer, fall. Awesome all-around tire. However, for winter I run 589's with close to 500 hardened ice racing screws installed. With this setup, I can whip through icy corners like it's dry dirt. Makes winter riding so much more fun.

honda680manitoba

Reaction score
i have 26" zilla's on my quad and love them. they are good for everything. itp tires have a problem with popping of the bead and wouldnt suggest itp tires. thats just my 2cents

honda680manitoba

Reaction score
4lbs is max psi i run for my zilla's and they chew threw alot more mud and snow then. one thing is dont drive over ur front lawn with them cause it tears it up pretty good

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the new PitBull ATV tires, they look damn fine, I am going to try a set this spring.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for a little comparitive shopping, here's the weight of a few popular Maxxis tires:

Mud Bug:
26x10x12 24.4lb
26x12x12 28.6lb

Zilla:
26x9x12 20.2lb
26x11x12 23.8lb

BigHorn:
26x9x12 22.9lb
26x12x12 30lb

rozzy

Reaction score
I've had 27 mud bugs. Liked them and they wore great. 28 mud lites Ok but were prone to punctures and wore bad. 30 in zilla's love them and after 1 summer and a couple winter rides the wear great. They climb out of holes really well and have good side bite. Jason

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Arewethereyet said...I put them in my order of preference Zillas on top and Bugs a close second. I've had two sets of Zillas, 4 or 5 sets of Bugs (Zillas weren't invented yet) 2 sets of Claws, and 1 set of BH....plus I've had Outlaws and Mudzillas.

Zilla's
Mudbugs
Kenda Bearclaws
Big horns

Last edited:

blumtn

Reaction score
Zeebs

All of the guys I ride with run Bighorns and I run Zillas. We do most of our riding in the snow because that is when we have the most time to ride. The bighorns are very good in the snow, the only time my zillas work better than the bighorns is in the spring on hardpack otherwise they are equal. The zillas have more traction but are a little rougher ride under 5mph. I would recommend the bighorns first then the zillas next. There are many other brands out there and I have only ran mudlights to compare to and you could not pay me to run mudlights again. JMO.

Blu

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasnt a big fan of the mud lights regular or xtr. I have swamplites on my 850 and my friend has zillas on his brute and we are pretty well even when it comes to traction. i like the swamplites for a all around tire but my next tires will be somthing pretty agressive, outlaws or silverbacks maybe.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mud lites are ok, I got the 28" zillas on mine and love them....even on the trail

Top Bottom