Tire Balancing Woes

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought i would throw out an update for those interested. Ended up having the tires/rims Road Force balanced at Kal on a new machine (nice). Big improvement for sure, but the car still had a bit of a bounce. Ended up pulling off one wheel at a time, putting on a summer and road testing. Discovered it is one wheel. I had asked each shop to inspect the rims carefully and each shop said no issues found. I now believe that the one rim has an issue despite there being no physical evidence of damage. May need to take it to wheel repair shop for proper inspection. Any recommendations?

chesapeake

Reaction score
I see some shops doing counter balancing where they will have weights at more than one location on one side of a rim. Years ago I was told to never counter balance when you are installing weights. Has anyone had any experience with this theory?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Thought i would throw out an update for those interested. Ended up having the tires/rims Road Force balanced at Kal on a new machine (nice). Big improvement for sure, but the car still had a bit of a bounce. Ended up pulling off one wheel at a time, putting on a summer and road testing. Discovered it is one wheel. I had asked each shop to inspect the rims carefully and each shop said no issues found. I now believe that the one rim has an issue despite there being no physical evidence of damage. May need to take it to wheel repair shop for proper inspection. Any recommendations?

Same as my mustang rims.... Put on hoist and spun them up one at a time and 2 wheels are the problems... 2crave no.2 and they don't make them anymore :(.... You could try the wheel repair shops., I think there's only 2 in the city. Good luck and keep us updated. I have my rims on special back order as the manufacturer takes back old stock, they may have some show up.... They will be manufacturing more in the future, but as of now no eta

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I see some shops doing counter balancing where they will have weights at more than one location on one side of a rim. Years ago I was told to never counter balance when you are installing weights. Has anyone had any experience with this theory?

Not really such a thing as counterbalancing? Just a poor balance job. Even road force balance I just 1 weight on each side of the wheel. We have many options of balancing on our machine for example, and one is hi speed balance/fine balance that 98% of vehicles don't need, but I like to use on my own. Sometimes it will request a couple different weight locations, and that is about the only time you should ever see more than one location for weights on one aide of a wheel..... Theoretically speaking, of course ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The weight in the second spot is because the machine wanted more weight after the first one was either not 100% in the right spot, and the guy was too lazy to move it and re spin it

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Final update just for interests sake.....

Spoke with two wheel repair shops. Took the rims into one of them. They did find a one rim to be a tiny bit out of round, but said it was less than even some new factory rims. Nothing that should be causing the problems we have been having. Ran the rims on a lathe, and balancing machine which both showed no issues They were completely perplexed. We went over the possibilities and I had checked them all. Shoulders shruggged and off I went.

Just one of those strange things, and I am done with chasing this tail.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check the tire as well as the rim? I seen in your earlier post you swapped summer tire and wheel one at a time and found the bad one, but you say you checked the rim, how about the tire?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get ride of the tires.... My Dad just spent 3 months chasing a similar problem. Road forced balanced yada yada yada.... Finally told the tire shop i'm not leaving until the friggen tires are balanced. He was at the tire shop for 6 hours!!!. Tire shop gave up and put new tires on. DONE! (He went back to where he bought the tires)...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tires checked out. Balanced fine on the summer rims. Shop that did road force said the tires were good as I asked them to be sure.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tires checked out. Balanced fine on the summer rims. Shop that did road force said the tires were good as I asked them to be sure.

Did they check the rim you are having issues with on the vehicle or off the vehicle?

Might be the relationship between the two, not bolting on true.

Have them dial indicate the rim you think you are having issues with on the vehicle.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would have been a good idea but the wheel shop said they didn't see enough variation to go that route.......and I was done chasing it.

I sure have learned a lot going through this. I like that part.

Did they check the rim you are having issues with on the vehicle or off the vehicle?

Might be the relationship between the two, not bolting on true.

Have them dial indicate the rim you think you are having issues with on the vehicle.

Top Bottom