Tire Balancing Woes

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the winter tires for the wifes car on mag wheels this winter. Costco did the install. Been back twice for balancing and it is still not right. Are they just rushing the job?

I had a similar issue many years back with another vehicle but can't remember who or how they rectified it. Seem to remember having to find a place with special equipment. That was so long ago I would assume most reputable shops have the latest and greatest in balancing tech.

Any comments/suggestions. Want this annoying issue fixed!

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be stick on weights falling off? Throw the balance bags inside. Never had an issue with those. Not sure if costco has the bags, you might have to go to actual tire shop. PM Summitric. he can fix ya up.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
do you maybe need to have them "Load Balanced" ZRrrrr?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with an aftermarket wheel that had the holes drilled off center slightly. It balanced great using the hub centric hole but when I pin balanced it it became evident what the issue was.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info gents. Sounds like Kal Tire on Yellowhead does the pin or load balancing.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's either laziness or inexperience. Any wheel will balance to be acceptable on the road

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the winter tires for the wifes car on mag wheels this winter. Costco did the install. Been back twice for balancing and it is still not right. Are they just rushing the job?

I had a similar issue many years back with another vehicle but can't remember who or how they rectified it. Seem to remember having to find a place with special equipment. That was so long ago I would assume most reputable shops have the latest and greatest in balancing tech.

Any comments/suggestions. Want this annoying issue fixed!

AFAIK the only special equipment a place could have for mounting tires is a road force machine. It runs the tire against a big drum with like 1000lbs to simulate the tire rolling on a flat surface and senses hard spots / high spots in the tire, and then compensates with balance weights.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Dad is having issues with my Moms car. Same thing get the balancing done and it doesn't last. They said they can not use the clamp on weights because it is a mag wheel and the stick on weights wont stick to the wheel????? This is what he is being told and he has found weights on the garage floor...... I believe this is a Kal Tire that is doing the work. They are standing behind there work but its been a pain in the a$$ for him to keep taking it back.

One thing you should look for right away when getting new tires is check how many weights they needed to use to balance the tire. If an excessive amount tell them to put another tire on as you don't want that one......

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a problem a few months back with new tires not staying in balance. I had to get them rebalanced a few times...discovered that they were spinning on the rim

I marked the tires and the rim and had 2 that moved almost 180 degrees within a couple hundred kms. They decided that the installer used too much goop and the bead wasn't sealing to the rim.....remove the tire, wipe off the excess goop and re-install.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently had the same problem with Costco rebalancing wheels on my wife' van. Made the problem worse after the first rebalance, had to return again to get it fixed. This was the northwest Costco in Calgary. Not sure what went wrong other than inexperience doing the job.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing I have seen people taught is spin it and find where machine wants weight

They add the weight and don't spin them up to check, take them off and install

Doesn't take much to be off and balance is out that u can feel

Reactions: LBZ

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always re-check the balancing. It might get it right for up and down but after you may need more inside or outside. Small car tires shouldn't take much weight to balance out. If the previous tire on that rim was good with very little weight and the new one takes a pile like previously said tell them you want a new tire - it's obvious it has something wrong with it. If they try to tell you it's the rim have the rim spun without a tire and see what happens. If it's bent or dented it will be fairly obvious.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just get them road force balanced. They will clock your rim to the tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure in Edmonton try calling tire shops. Not all tire shops have that machine, it's expensive to purchase.

There is one in Edson and fixed my Balance problem after I had new tires installed. Had another shop balance my truck 3 times and witnessed the last, weights were installed correctly etc and it still vibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am willing to try it. Still have issues on my new truck. I need to rule out the wheels.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The big kal tire on yellow head and fastech do road force balancing..... Had my old f350 road force balanced, after I found a service bulletin saying some f350 are required to have road force balancing done.... Worked good, and got rid of the little vibration I couldn't get rid of even after repeat balancing on my own machines in our shop.... Only one we've ever had to send out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom