Time to Mod your T3

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Porting by linderman. Team secondary and p85 primary. 5 mph track speeds just on clutching swap alone. Buddie of mine did this and runs way past stock t3 174 and right with my big bore 174

can someone elaborate on the p-85 clutch? is this a thing are guys running these one the xms?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can someone elaborate on the p-85 clutch? is this a thing are guys running these one the xms?

P85 is a Super light clutch that runs way cooler. Tra clutch makes extrme belt heat. There is also a decent gain in track speeds with the p85. We used a laser temp gauge and beat on both 174s in deep pow. My sled has 30-40 high belt temps. Also the p85 doo can run a little taller gears without adding belt heat. His ported 800 sled has 10 less horse power and will run with my 860. P85 will be going on my sled for sure.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not riding a T3. But I have run a P85 primary on several doos over the years - from the old rotary valve 670's to the 800 HO in the Rev chassis, and actually have one on my M800 with a 925 big bore. They are substantially lighter and do run cooler, and IMHO, perform better then the TRA (which by the way, is a GREAT clutch for drag racing where backshift is unimportant) The TRA tends to "overrun" the secondary, hence the need for high spring rates in both clutches to encourage back shift, The lighter mass of the P85 makes the sled spool up quicker, and tuning and replacement parts are cheap. The downside? The sled will have more resistance when starting, similar to pulling the sled over without the clutch installed.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A tra race primary is good option as well but pricey if you don't know someone to help out with pricing.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not riding a T3. But I have run a P85 primary on several doos over the years - from the old rotary valve 670's to the 800 HO in the Rev chassis, and actually have one on my M800 with a 925 big bore. They are substantially lighter and do run cooler, and IMHO, perform better then the TRA (which by the way, is a GREAT clutch for drag racing where backshift is unimportant) The TRA tends to "overrun" the secondary, hence the need for high spring rates in both clutches to encourage back shift, The lighter mass of the P85 makes the sled spool up quicker, and tuning and replacement parts are cheap. The downside? The sled will have more resistance when starting, similar to pulling the sled over without the clutch installed.[/QUOT

The etec starts fine with the p85. It's reverse that's a small glitch. When rer is pushed the sled will occasionally stall instead of running backwards. The fix may be putting a ring gear on to add a little weight.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran the p85 back in the 670 days, swapped back and forth from tra but went back to tra on next sled..

since then I went to the tra race primary and now run them on all the sleds.. Their total loaded weight is less than tra at 10.8 lbs and run cooler than any other primary I have before.. They hold fine for turbo hp and easy to calibrate

discussed the new primary on the G4 with a skidoo guru that had one sent to him from skidoo the other day.. His first words were this new primary is still heavy compared to the older race and is almost too engineered..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What was the weight of the p85 again.. 12 to 13lbs comes to mind..

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to get the clutch machined to fit the doo taper.

Not sure on the TRA race clutches but I know Rec Supply in Saskatoon stocks the P85.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to get the clutch machined to fit the doo taper.
It's been awhile since I've looked into them CUSO, but if I'm not mistaken they had both Polaris and Ski-Doo tapered P-85.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've looked into them CUSO, but if I'm not mistaken they had both Polaris and Ski-Doo tapered P-85.

9714bb3bc2c144f3aef46e629f4d9c95.jpg

From the Rec Supply 2016 Catalog.

Jordan306

Reaction score
I want to do the brp race hood too, anyone got a part number? Where else can we trim weight?

I ampretty damn happy with my machine with just a cooker can on it.. Interested to see what this new G4 can do, but not running out to buy one right now.

486015100 this is the part #for the race hood

Top Bottom