time to let her go...

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU'LL NEED A 2500 IF YOU WANT TO TAKE YOUR SLED TO BC AND NOT GET BUSTED IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING A DECK... bUY A SUBARU WRX WAGON AND GET A 2 PLACE SLED TRAILER, WHEN YOUR NOT HAULING, YOU'LL HAVE ALOT OF FUN IN A STREET LEGAL RALLY CAR, i HAD 3 DFFERENT sUBIES, A 2004 WRX WAGON, A 2004 STI AND NOW A 2005 FORESTER FXT WITH A STI TURBO, INJECTORS AND FUEL PUMP, I DRIVE MINE EVERY DAY AND MY TRUCK STAYS IN THE DRIVEWAY UNLESS IN NEED IT...onCE YOU DRIVE A BOOSTED AWD CAR YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK. THEY ARE THE ULITMATE SLEEPERS

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy just picked up a really nice 96 ext cab Z71 with 206,000km 15,000km on a rebuilt motor, 20" rims and dual exhaust for just under 6g. I had a 98 Z71 and it was an awesome truck and it was not a gas guzzeler. I could get 500km to a tank (85-90L) driving some what nice.

This was my first 4x4, i loved it.

Attachments

• 98 Z71.jpg
    98 Z71.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Z71 4x4.jpg
    Z71 4x4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Z71 4x4 2.jpg
    Z71 4x4 2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 91

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YOU'LL NEED A 2500 IF YOU WANT TO TAKE YOUR SLED TO BC AND NOT GET BUSTED IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING A DECK... bUY A SUBARU WRX WAGON AND GET A 2 PLACE SLED TRAILER, WHEN YOUR NOT HAULING, YOU'LL HAVE ALOT OF FUN IN A STREET LEGAL RALLY CAR, i HAD 3 DFFERENT sUBIES, A 2004 WRX WAGON, A 2004 STI AND NOW A 2005 FORESTER FXT WITH A STI TURBO, INJECTORS AND FUEL PUMP, I DRIVE MINE EVERY DAY AND MY TRUCK STAYS IN THE DRIVEWAY UNLESS IN NEED IT...onCE YOU DRIVE A BOOSTED AWD CAR YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK. THEY ARE THE ULITMATE SLEEPERS

Yeah but I don't think he'll find one for under 5g unless it's at a wreckers..

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are advising him to haul a trailer with sleds on it with a Subaru WRX Wagon?

Yep, I did it for two years, from calgary to golden, 2 xp's and a small 2 place........at least 2 x a month, with a good set of snow tires they are incredible in the snow and ice, and they are not lowered ricer rockets, they actually have long travell suspension. I had no issues, and those cars are a blast to drive.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That really sucks you are selling the KTM - but life does go on and having wheels when you are 16 is a big deal for sure.

I don't know about Steeltown though, I think he is drinkin too much blue coolaid at the SouthStore! Last thing ya need when you are 16 is a pocket rocket Subaru ripping through the mountains! :rolleyes:

I have seen some pre-99 chev/gmc's in Calgary for under $5000. Don't be affraid of a higher milage one. The 350's in those trucks are bomb proof motors and the biggest thing is you can get parts for them anywhere for way less than most other vehicles.

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 - Calgary Cars For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

if I was 16 again this would be my beast! clanging 6.5 diesel too!

1996 Chevrolet C/K Pickup 1500 z71 diesel Pickup Truck - Calgary Cars For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

Oh and I didn't mention a 2500 or bigger because obviously you are saving for a truck to get around, doubt you have the extra $1500 for a used deck that you would be worrying about.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya man save for a truck, you cant get too picky though! if it hauls your bike and sled and gets you from point A to point B consistently its a good vehicle. (IMO) but it is nice to have a fancy vehicle lol. :beer::beer:

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im thinking about doing the RAP program in highschool and try to get a job at mots or riverside. that way i wouldnt have to sell anything.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gotta agree with you two. tha rapprogram is an excellent way to get your foot in the door. employers like it cause the guys are a bit cheaper than an apprentice and generally wanna learn a bit more. hired three guys out of that program before all three turned out great.n good luck. i would look more to going at least automotive or hd though as the money is way better. not much to be made as a sled or bike mech.imo.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the Rap we have one here. When he started he was a high school kid, he is now married and well on his way to being a heavy duty. You already seem to have your head on straight and that is half the battle.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gotta agree with you two. tha rapprogram is an excellent way to get your foot in the door. employers like it cause the guys are a bit cheaper than an apprentice and generally wanna learn a bit more. hired three guys out of that program before all three turned out great.n good luck. i would look more to going at least automotive or hd though as the money is way better. not much to be made as a sled or bike mech.imo.

Andre Magnet makes an awesome point. At alberta cycle i noticed that the 2nd and even 3rd years wernt making the big bucks youd expect. HD is the way to go. but no matter what ya go for you need wheels. an employer wont take two looks at ur resume if ya cant get there on eur own.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Andre Magnet makes an awesome point. At alberta cycle i noticed that the 2nd and even 3rd years wernt making the big bucks youd expect. HD is the way to go. but no matter what ya go for you need wheels. an employer wont take two looks at ur resume if ya cant get there on eur own.

I will look into that

Top Bottom