Ticking noise in 600 grizzly

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My '98 grizzly 600 has quite a loud ticking noise in it..... Rebuilt the top-end and did timing chain, guides etc..... Adusted valves to specs, but the noise is there and hasn't gotten any better or any worse, and i've put about 500kms since rebuild. Almost sounds like in lower engine/ clutch side?? Any ideas???

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My '98 grizzly 600 has quite a loud ticking noise in it..... Rebuilt the top-end and did timing chain, guides etc..... Adusted valves to specs, but the noise is there and hasn't gotten any better or any worse, and i've put about 500kms since rebuild. Almost sounds like in lower engine/ clutch side?? Any ideas???

noisey weights/rollers in the clutches?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
don't think so, tg........ I thought i heard others on here talking about a 1 way bearing, that will make ticking noises, in behind the clutch????

that is very possible, I'm not sure if that Grizz has an internal "wet" clutch or not, but that would make sense.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Frequency of the tick? Crank speed, valve train speed, transmission speed or random/unregular?

You should be able to isolate the problem to with a couple of inches with a steathescope or the long screwdriver to the ear trick. Without it being narrowed down a bit more it could be anything from a loose motor mount to a beer can in the belt case.

Sprague clutch on the internal clutch is emersed in oil; not likely to hear much noise from that one. If you still have engine braking and the ticking is unchanged in pitch or frequency when torque is applied to the primary this cluch is not the source your problem.

Spargue clutch behind the flywheel is for the electric start, so that one shouldn't make any noise unless the starter is engaged. If this clutch acts up the engine wont turn over or makes rattling sounds when the starter is engaged

Being that this machine is quite old and has enough miles to justify a top end rebuild I will throw this out there:
Did you change the timing chain and chain guides when you did the top end? If not, remove the tensioner and press on the guide with a screwdriver to see if the noise goes away. If the noise goes away make sure the tensioner is operating correctly before changing the chain and guides.
Other random thoughts: Exhaust leak at the head, piston slap, a wrist pin or clip trying to escape, decompression pin stuck, decompression mechanism faulty, loose valve seat, frayed drive belt, etc

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

maybe loose nut behind handlebars, :d

Top Bottom