Throttle Stop

doostylz

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there for some ideas. Since I got a new doo last spring I plan on letting my son take over my old 2000 summit. He just doesnt have the experience I feel yet to have full control over it. Better to be safe than sorry. Any ideas or ways you have done it in the past putting a stopper on the throttle to limit to half or what ever I want to let it out to. Any suggestions just trying to see what works best, is easiest done, etc.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do would be to back off the throttle cable adjuster so it has a lot of freeplay. I think that would work.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there for some ideas. Since I got a new doo last spring I plan on letting my son take over my old 2000 summit. He just doesnt have the experience I feel yet to have full control over it. Better to be safe than sorry. Any ideas or ways you have done it in the past putting a stopper on the throttle to limit to half or what ever I want to let it out to. Any suggestions just trying to see what works best, is easiest done, etc.

Drill and tap a screw into the linkage at the carbs (like the idle screw only on the opposite side at full throttle). You might need to fab up a little plate to mount it to or something similar. Wouldn't take much more than a 1/8" plate bent correctly and then drill and tap a machine screw in. This way you can progressively back the screw out (letting the throttle open up more) as he gets used to it. If you are out riding and he comes to a hill that it can't climb in the current throttle position, you can just back the screw out a little. Don't tell him you did it, unplug the tach and he will never know. Hit it with some paint so that you can tell if "someone" turned the screw out without your approval....

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drill and tap a screw into the linkage at the carbs (like the idle screw only on the opposite side at full throttle). You might need to fab up a little plate to mount it to or something similar. Wouldn't take much more than a 1/8" plate bent correctly and then drill and tap a machine screw in. This way you can progressively back the screw out (letting the throttle open up more) as he gets used to it. If you are out riding and he comes to a hill that it can't climb in the current throttle position, you can just back the screw out a little. Don't tell him you did it, unplug the tach and he will never know. Hit it with some paint so that you can tell if "someone" turned the screw out without your approval....

I like it ... SOO GREASY !!!! will have to use that one :beer::beer:

apex69

Reaction score

when i was a kid my dad used a rool of black tape on the handle bar easy to change when he gets beter on the sled

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My pops should have did something like this as my little brother ran into the side of his new car 35 years ago(it was a 292 polaris)lol

Top Bottom