Throttle cable piled up

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you a heads up on something. I was in Silent pass riding on Sunday near Parsons, B.C. We were riding some awesome new heavy deep snow. Was close to the end of the day, got stuck. Rolled the sled to get it out, and was just gonna start riding again. When I noticed the throttle hadn't returned on its own. There was some snow jammed around it. So, I started diggin it out with my finger, and flippin the throttle to return. No dice. It just got worse and the cable wouldn't return. We checked it out and couldn't find a kink or a melted spot. We than tryed to figure out if there was a way we could rig it up to drive it out. We reconnected the cable to make it like a pull type throttle on a rope. And you had to pull it repeatedly to get the rpm's up to move. If pulled and held it would cut out. It was a long 25 miles outta the bush and off the hill. Just got back today and haven't put the new cable in yet. Gonna tear the old cable apart and see whats goin on in it prolly on the weekend here. So, might not be a bad idea to disconnect the cable off the throttle body. And just check it to ensure it's not sliding rough, or tightly. Could prevent you guys from having to deal with what I had too.:beer:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you a heads up on something. I was in Silent pass riding on Sunday near Parsons, B.C. We were riding some awesome new heavy deep snow. Was close to the end of the day, got stuck. Rolled the sled to get it out, and was just gonna start riding again. When I noticed the throttle hadn't returned on its own. There was some snow jammed around it. So, I started diggin it out with my finger, and flippin the throttle to return. No dice. It just got worse and the cable wouldn't return. We checked it out and couldn't find a kink or a melted spot. We than tryed to figure out if there was a way we could rig it up to drive it out. We reconnected the cable to make it like a pull type throttle on a rope. And you had to pull it repeatedly to get the rpm's up to move. If pulled and held it would cut out. It was a long 25 miles outta the bush and off the hill. Just got back today and haven't put the new cable in yet. Gonna tear the old cable apart and see whats goin on in it prolly on the weekend here. So, might not be a bad idea to disconnect the cable off the throttle body. And just check it to ensure it's not sliding rough, or tightly. Could prevent you guys from having to deal with what I had too.:beer:

snow/water get in there and freeze up causing it not to move?Thaw it out and see if it still does it.

Keeperswilly

Reaction score
snow/wate.r get in there and freeze up causing it not to move?Thaw it out and see if it still does it.

First thing I thought, but sled was hot as heck from riding the hell out of it in the deep snow. Was a warm day. Took it right off the sled and it was grinding, like metal on metal. The same since it's been in the shop. I'm thinking it's frayed inside. But not gonna have time until the weekend to get it apart and see whats up inside it.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of ours did the same thing last year.....

We heated it and sure enough it freed up and ot us home, but remained stiff....replaced it and then cut open the old one, sure enough had rust in side.

Lesson learned lubricate the cable to keep water and moisture out.

Also there is a switch on the thottle level that prevents the sled from reving if it's not working, found that the hard way when we ran mys sons chest into the thottle and broke it....taped it up and it wouldnt rev past 3000 ....took a some of the tape off so the switch worked and rode it down the mountain.

Top Bottom