Thinking of moving to BC

uker7

Reaction score
O

Of all the places that you have for options, I would choose Castelgar lots of good riding,fishing, and lakes nearby. What do you do for work??
Right now I work for a powerline contractor but I was thinking of applying with fortis bc. We'll see I also just heard a rumor that bc hydro might be going on strike.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right now I work for a powerline contractor but I was thinking of applying with fortis bc. We'll see I also just heard a rumor that bc hydro might be going on strike.

Check with Arrow Installations in Cranbrook. They're almost always hiring.

uker7

Reaction score
Check with Arrow Installations in Cranbrook. They're almost always hiring.
Thanks for the tip but I'm kind'of looking to get away from being at a contractor. The reason I'm looking for a change is because I've been spending more time on the road then at home. Chances are I would be in the same situation with Arrow.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip but I'm kind'of looking to get away from being at a contractor. The reason I'm looking for a change is because I've been spending more time on the road then at home. Chances are I would be in the same situation with Arrow.

There's a dam project going on in Trail. My little sister just finished her first year electrical apprenticeship there. Probably a decent shot at employment there.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a dam project going on in Trail. My little sister just finished her first year electrical apprenticeship there. Probably a decent shot at employment there.

Teck metals in trail is spending many millions on expansion right away. Lots of work coming up.

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
half of the guys at fortis bc in castlegar are retiring really soon, my old man is operations manager there....think they are even taking on new apprentices

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be hiring a number of guys just to run the new furnace and there will be several hundred retires in the next 7 years so lots of opportunities coming up. And they've been in operation for over 100 years so probably not going anywhere between now and when I retire. :D

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Grand Forks and now live halfway between Nelson and Castlegar in Pass Creek Valley. Grand Forks is a fantastic little community, super tight knit and the people are extremely neighborly. It is definitely a great summer town, with two rivers and white sand beaches, and multiple little fishing lakes, but not much riding there. The population is around 4,000 in town, so amenities are limited, but the cost of living is fairly cheap. Any riding is still an hours drive, and the really epic stuff is almost 2.

Castlegar, Nelson, and Trail form a triangle, with Salmo in the centre. It's roughly 45 km to any three major centres from Salmo. Real Estate prices vary greatly between the three cities, as well as property taxes, and rental rates. Nelson is by far the most expensive, followed by Castlegar, then Trail, then Salmo. Every community offers a very different dynamic, and cultural diversity. You can visit the chamber pages to check out the history of each one.

I absolutely love the Pass Creek Valley. I have at least a dozen awesome riding places to chose from within a 20 minute drive of home, and the Slocan river is 10 minutes away in the summer.

Good luck with your move! BC is the best place on earth, and the Kootenays is the heart of it!!!!

Very well said powder pilot , to add to this I have a house for sale in the same area, property guys 197465.
great out door lifestyle here and centrally located to everything. Three riding clubs within 20 min, a skidoo dealer 5 mi. Some of the best areas by far. Sledding/atv
No I'm not moving away just looking at one down the road.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So did you end up getting on with Fortis? If you have any questions about the area feel free to shoot me a pm any time. Not sure if your looking to buy in the area or not.....if you are I know a really good realtor. ;)

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the mill in golden is hiring and ramping up ...

alota positive signs, alota over priced houses too ...

acm1t

Reaction score
Welcome to Creston uker7. The Kootenays are happy to have you!!

Hansen13

Reaction score
If you're thinking of moving to BC. Considering your options above. I'd look into somewhere in the southeast region. I'm from Cranbrook, but there are soooooo many riding areas within a half hour to a couple hours from where I am you'd never be bored of the same spot. Teck is a great employer if you're into the 4x4 shifts. So the Elk Valley is also a great spot. Cranbrook isn't super big, but also has everything you need. The sled shops, lordco and two Timmies haha.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If you're thinking of moving to BC. Considering your options above. I'd look into somewhere in the southeast region. I'm from Cranbrook, but there are soooooo many riding areas within a half hour to a couple hours from where I am you'd never be bored of the same spot. Teck is a great employer if you're into the 4x4 shifts. So the Elk Valley is also a great spot. Cranbrook isn't super big, but also has everything you need. The sled shops, lordco and two Timmies haha.
yeah if teck would hire people who apply... 5 years operating and not even an interview. But i hear they hire people who don't have a lick of experience.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah if teck would hire people who apply... 5 years operating and not even an interview. But i hear they hire people who don't have a lick of experience.
Yeah from what I've heard of their operations it tends to be a who you know sort of deal.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

get the new guys when they are green, train them the way you want theory.

Top Bottom