Thinking of moving to BC

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moyie may be nice but there is no Timmy's there,lol gotta go to Cranbrook for the amenities. Timmy's, Canadian Tire, Lordco Walmart Etc.
Great riding 30 minutes any direction. Lots of lakes for summer too.

Yup, all that stuff is 20 minutes away....but I can be in my boat fishing in 5 minutes, have my sled unloaded in 8 minutes or sometimes even ride from the house, & be at 6500 ft a half hour later! :D

PonyboyCurtis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
castlegar has my vote and i have lived here my whole life. it has everythig you need, and its central to nelson, trail, and gf.

uker7

Reaction score
Yup, all that stuff is 20 minutes away....but I can be in my boat fishing in 5 minutes, have my sled unloaded in 8 minutes or sometimes even ride from the house, & be at 6500 ft a half hour later! :D
That's awesome, to bad a guy can't have it all

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may have an opportunity to relocate to Campbell River on the island.... heading out there on monday for a face to face interview....I like the idea of a warmer climate yet close to mountains and having the boat in year round...
I was based out of Campbel River for work for 20 years. IMHO Courtney/ Black Creek area is way nicer than CR. There is some good sledding to be had on Mount Washington which is close by.Good luck Bogger

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've lived in the north Okanagon since 94. It's a great place to live. Easy to get to your outdoor activities and you have a few nice sized cities for the amenities .The down side to the Okanagon valley is the lack of good paying jobs and high real estate prices.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I moved from Alberta to the Kootenays about 12 years ago. Moved right to Creston. I loved it there super nice people. Change happens very very slowly in Creston. At one time I started a group, "positively Creston Valley" intent on changing the world..didn't so much do that but the group of about 50 people were very active in the community off shoot organizations sparked a new rec complex, water park, and yes... a Timmy Ho hoes.. But it is still very much a retiree town. Some say cliquey, I disagree. I felt lots of love and a sense of family there.

I now live 20 min from Nelson (where I work) in the most wonderful awesome welcoming eccentric place called Ymir.. It's not for everyone, but fully and completely for us. Full of Kids and dogs, this hippie topia is a wonderful anomaly in life. We're 10 min from Salmo, so in a pinch we can get groceries and fuel there, or visit the hardware store. Way cheaper to shop in Nelson so do most of my shopping there. Trail is only 20 min away too.. so best of all worlds. Castlegar is 20 min too.
I dig this part of the Kootenays. Good people.

Momma :)

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those moyie pictures were nice but unfortunately its not on the list. i'm kind-of limitied to that list because i would have to take call for work. Castlegar seems like it would be a good size and a not to bad location. i was looking at it on googlemaps and it looks like the river is blocked off by the damn one way and blocked off by the mill the other. it would be kinda cool to be able to hop in the boat and make it to some lakes. but i think i would rather have better mountain riding.

The dam has a nav lock so you can go from the Columbia river to the Arrow lake(s) which will take you to Revelstoke (or at least Gelena Bay, never been any further north). And south of the Hugh Keenleyside dam is open into the USA until the Grand Coulee dam.

AirNorth1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www3.telus.net
Busted my ass all my life and made good money then decided to move to a small BC town taking a low paying job in the tourism trade. At the end of the day it seems I have just as much money... which is near nothing all the same. The lifestyle is good you just need to budget accordingly. Life is no longer having the new truck all the toys and the thinking all that meant something. Best of luck

Last edited:

prairiepulling

Reaction score
moyiesledhead,
Where is the riding in Moyie ? We rented a couple of lots there last summer in Moyie called the bench where we have our 5th wheel parked on a long term deal and were thinking of heading that way on our next trip.
Thanks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GF and Castlegar are both close to Christina Lake. BC's hidden gem. Castlegar has a good Doo dealer if you ride that product. GF has a Lordco I know.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
moyiesledhead,
Where is the riding in Moyie ? We rented a couple of lots there last summer in Moyie called the bench where we have our 5th wheel parked on a long term deal and were thinking of heading that way on our next trip.
Thanks

Unload at the bottom of the road just before the transfer station at the end of the lake for a start. Go straight up the gas pipeline to the top of Moyie Mountain. From there you can see never ending cutblocks & roads, pretty much all of them accessible to sleds & quads.

Sooooo....where is your trailer exactly? I'm thinking it might be right beside my house! Let me know when you're gonna be here. I'd be happy to show you around.

Top Bottom