Thinking of going without cable

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will admit I am kind of a TV guy. I am contemplating getting rid of my cable though and just going internet based with my apple TV component.

Maybe with the bundle though I would actually save money keeping it as compared to the internet services.

I could totally cut out some of the shows I watch and I am not a big sports watching guy.

Has anyone cut the cable plug?

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your not alone
thjnking something has to change on this entertainment
Shaw cable + channels+ home phone = $250.00/ month
2- cell phones at $75.00ea = $150.00 / month

so $400.00 a month that's just too much to spend

i can justify $400.00 on sled fuel but not TV/cell phones.

Will follow this thread to see what others have done

Thanks

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the cost wouldn't bother me as much if they weren't screwing us over. They "bundle" their channels together so that we have to get 3 or 4 of them just to watch 3 or 4 channels that have a couple of shows we watch on them. I am hoping Apple or Google or someone changes how everything is done but they did it with music already and the TV people will hold on for dear life now.

I think I can sign up for Shaw for 60 bucks a month for 6 months then I am off the new subscriber deal. Then I dump the cable and decrease the internet bandwith. I can download shows from itunes and use Shomi after that.

I am just thinking they will charge so much just for the internet that adding cable the smallest package of it with be minimal. Everyone I know says go netflix but I don't know what they have on netflix.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did just that for about 5 years... i slept better and played more... now with kids its back to cable... but if i could i would cut it again

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A guy at work has Apple TV and Netflix.

Seems to like it

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been tossing around the same idea. Get off the couch thing. Did it for 7 years awhile back.

SwampRatt

Reaction score
We turned it off for 3 years and it was great. Spring/summer/fall there's endless activities I found, winter can be a little slow, but ya know, it forces you to pay a little more attention to the wife, and that can really benefit the love life when the tubes not on in bed at night!! :) But we hooked it up again, that's over

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have cable or satellite tv or internet tv of any kind. Spending $20 or so a month on rental movie or going to the show with the family the rest is spent outdoors with the family or playing games. Reduce the screen time and increase the family time, everyone wins trust me on that. Years ago we done away with Facebook and all other social media and we don't look back.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually with the money we saved off not having tv we bought the kids a new outlaw 110 for Christmas. They have been pulling each other around on the tube for days now. Would rather spend it on has and good times then apps and extra credit for games.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the android t.v setup for a hundred bucks i get everything i want to watch.

paired with your choice of wireless controller its also a mini p.c.

android.jpg

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No land line for ~10 years, and no cable for ~5. I do run Netflix and iTunes for shows, reddit streams most sports I am interested in watching.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
with the new CRTC ruling Cable *should* become slightly more competitively priced. Everything we watch at home has been recorded, and we fast forward thru the commercials, if not recorded its on Netflix...... I too was thinking of going this route, maybe after we move out of the trailerpark.$25 basic cable package must be in place by March 1 - Business - CBC News

SRXtreme

Reaction score
I went with Netflix, I also use a US DNS# to get the US Netflix. There is different content between the two. Some better from Canada but more to choose from on the US site. Also if you have a smart TV some shows can be streamed as well. A&E can be login using my shaw internet account and I can stream all there shows.It doesn't work on Discovery though :( ..............SRXtreme

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had cable for 5 years. Use Netflix, download when I need to, and stream from the channels' websites with my Shaw account. Beats the hell out of paying $50-$150 a month for 400 channels with only 3 you actually watch. Can't just come home and flop onto the couch for the evening so you're much more productive in the evenings.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went 6 months this summer with no satellite, never missed it at all. Have one of those "Chinese black box", instabox or something like that and watched sports as needed on it. Makes Netflix look like junk...

I can't believe how many people still pay so much for TV.... $0/month is sure nice

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got rid of our land line phone about 3 years ago and never missed it! Been thinking about dumping our Shaw Satellite as well but have to look at my options as I enjoy Discovery, DYI and Canucks games. Would also like to hear what everyone has done.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To add an age group in here.. I was in my mid-late 20s when I dumped the cable/satellite. Never missed it.. Still to this day only have internet and Netflix for random shows. Saves a **** ton of money.

Use ChromeCast to watch Youtube and Netflix on my TV, and that is enough seat-time in front of the boob-tube as it is. ($45/month all in)

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To add an age group in here.. I was in my mid-late 20s when I dumped the cable/satellite. Never missed it.. Still to this day only have internet and Netflix for random shows. Saves a **** ton of money.

Use ChromeCast to watch Youtube and Netflix on my TV, and that is enough seat-time in front of the boob-tube as it is. ($45/month all in)
I second the chromecast, excellent and easy to use piece of hardware.

Edit: and cheap only $45 I have one upstairs, downstairs, and in the garage.

Last edited:

SRXtreme

Reaction score
I went with Netflix, I also use a US DNS# to get the US Netflix. There is different content between the two. Some better from Canada but more to choose from on the US site. Also if you have a smart TV some shows can be streamed as well. A&E can be login using my shaw internet account and I can stream all there shows.It doesn't work on Discovery though :( ..............SRXtreme

Netflix is blocking all DNS, VPN. No more USA Netflix for us........................SRXtreme

Top Bottom