The wife helping back up trailers

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wife has some baggage from her dad getting mad when backing up on family trips when she was growing up so I had to work pretty hard just to get her to help. It was the same thing though, standing where I can't see or standing there and not giving any direction. We found it is easier if she drives and I back her in and if she gets uncomfortable with it we switch and she seems to do a good job guiding me now. She is pretty terrible at guiding me to the hitch though, bought a truck with a backup cam lol.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get my wife to back in the boat at the launches. She sees what is needed when I move the 5'er and we havent had an accident or major argument in a couple years.
Btw not to brag but Jess is probably one of the best boat backer uppers there is! Shes reversed the pants off other dudes at busy launches putting our boat in places most guys wouldn't dare. But thats a whole other thread....

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
When I'm backing up I don't let her give directions. Just simply tell me to stop if I'm going to hit anything. Anything else and **** just gets jumbled and confusing. That aside I am one of the lucky ones who has a gf who can back up a trailer better than 99% of guys can. Love watching her get impatient at the boat launch and squeeze our trailer between the 2 losers taking to long. They yell and bitch. She rolls up the window and keeps on backing In.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I get my wife to back in the boat at the launches. She sees what is needed when I move the 5'er and we havent had an accident or major argument in a couple years.
Btw not to brag but Jess is probably one of the best boat backer uppers there is! Shes reversed the pants off other dudes at busy launches putting our boat in places most guys wouldn't dare. But thats a whole other thread....

Who's Jess? And, what does your wife think of this "other woman" backing up your chit? ;)

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought a truck with a backup cam lol.

Easiest way I got to spend more on a truck ever (and enjoying all the other options in the package as well.) Told the wife if I get the back up camera I wont need to come and get you to help all the time. DONE! LOL
It bite me in the ass though..... Her new car has one as well. She got all the upgrades too........

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats good to have! I once watched a guy back his boat till the trailers wheels were at the waters edge, then hop in the boat while his wife took the truck. I still have no idea how but she managed to jackknife it in the 10-15ft left to go. I know there are women who are good with trailers, but some just dont care to learn. My girlfriend will pull a trailer happily but no f'in way she'll even try to back up lol

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the wife guide me one time only.... Back up camera after that JS.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Backing up is definitely a guy thing....
So many people can not back up with their hands on the top of the steering wheel.

If you dare to let your better half back up- try this little tip:

Have her put her hands on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel - if she needs a little left she moves the wheel a little left... etc.

Seems to work almost every time ... but some people just should not drive.....

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My wife is a farm girl that spent lots of time backing trucks trailers tractors, has nothing to do with gender everything to do with practice. I've seen a lot of dopes backing boats and rvs, blaming the wife because you don't know how to back up or forward for that matter is lame.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya funny you say that.. My wife is better at backing up boat trailer then majority of men.. I gave her choice when we bought first boat. You drive boat or truck.... She chose truck. I hit the boat buddy and she drives away. Takes 10 seconds. I always say if you want a day of comedy take a cooler of beer and lawn chair go to busy boat launch and laugh all day long.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont need the wife to help me fawk it up ... i bought a new truck (just a little longer than the old one) just before christmas and i was backing the up the trailer into the driveway can see the sides of trailer perfectly know im straight but im not quite as far back as i usually am ... so put it in 4x4 and a bit more gas sure as schitt i go back a bit ... get out of truck walk around towards the back of trailer wondering wtf how come i can see the inside garage light ..get a bit closer and realize i managed to push the recycle bin and garbage container into the garage door which in turn separated the garage door frame from the framing itself ... only managed to push it all back about 18 inches ... so wife is sitting upstairs in the bonus room she comes out im looking like a pissed off ghost and she sees what i did and bursts out laughing ... took me about 1/2 hour to get it all put back into place and another 45 mins to get the door hinges back to being straight ...

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh man. Some of these are awesome. Great thread.

My wife will not back up with any trailers attached. But she can put the ball under the hitch quicker then I can.
When she knows we're going. She hooks the truck up so when I get home it's jump in and go.

I find my Dad is the worst to have help guide you. Most people point. Want the ball to go left point left. Want it to go right. Point right. Simple. My Dad likes to spin his hands the direction he wants you to turn the steering wheel. It's confusing as hell. Just point.

Another point brought up in this thread. The comment that backing up is for guys. You haven't watched my buddy back up. He struggles in reverse without a trailer. At 32 he still can not back up a trailer. And I quit letting him try. We borrowed my dad's boat once. I wasn't going to let my buddy drive the boat. His job was to back up the truck. He couldn't do it. As soon as the trailer started in the water he would crank the wheel. Too stupid to hold it straight I guess. Ended up kicking him out and doing it my self.

Last edited:

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So many people can not back up with their hands on the top of the steering wheel.

Disagree! Somewhat of chauvinistic comment right there! If I had to rely on a guy every time I had to back up a trailer I would be out of a job.

My wife is a farm girl that spent lots of time backing trucks trailers tractors, has nothing to do with gender everything to do with practice. I've seen a lot of dopes backing boats and rvs, blaming the wife because you don't know how to back up or forward for that matter is lame.

Agreed! So many times I've been able to wheel around on a tight location or on the farm backing up trailers and equipment better than a lot of the "guys" that were able to fawk chit up.....and didn't have their wives there to blame it on lol :rolleyes:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it one of the hardest things to watch when someone is struggling to back up a trailer. the only help I ask of my wife is to stop me when the wheels are centered on top of the leveling blocks.

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another point brought up in this thread. The comment that backing up is for guys. You haven't watched my buddy back up. He struggles in reverse without a trailer. At 32 he still can not back up a trailer. And I quit letting him try. We borrowed my dad's boat once. I wasn't going to let my buddy drive the boat. His job was to back up the truck. He couldn't do it. As soon as the trailer started in the water he would crank the wheel. Too stupid to hold it straight I guess. Ended up kicking him out and doing it my self.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I have a buddy just like that.Can't back up without a trailer,let alone with one.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife is my navigator if I'm backing into a tight spot with the trailer, whether it be the 30' bumper pull RV or the 30' enclosed. I think communication is key - we've no problems maneuvering into tight spots. As a side note, my 47 yr old sister parks their 35' 5th wheel with no issues either. If my brother in law had to do it, it would take two days, and involve a bit of carnage. It boils down to experience, plain and simple.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was hoping somebody would say something like this. I grew up on the farm and operate it today but have spent some time in long haul. I don't remember seeing the truckers wife helping him back up to the dock. It just might be practice J/S.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife drives everything and anything. Hooks up 5th wheels. Boat trailers while I'm in the water with the boat. I am confident in her every move with a trailer on. She cooks, cleans, drives, backs up, wears a bikini and loves hitting the nitrous button. I can't ask for more.

Top Bottom