the untold problem 2008 09 polaris 800 eng failures

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was relieved to hear that the updated engine had some good dyno runs on Monday. Not only a significant increase in power, but overall the engine just ran better. It’s all very encouraging. The reports haven’t been posted on DynoTech yet, but the should be soon.:beer:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what one of the guys at the dyno session had to say:

“I was the other guy there all day yesterday. A few answers...

Yes the pizza was good.
Once we installed the updates the sled made about 10Hp more than the un-updated motor.
The motor just plain ran a lot better once the updates were installed
Fuel controller was still a good boost on HP
Modified cylinder head was still a good boost on HP
Some pipes made some good HP
I'll be running my updated sled, modified cylinder head, and PCIII and will be pulling at least 160HP.
Intake air temps never got below 50 degrees and I think the motor will like 15 degree temps a lot more than 50 degree temps...but that is just my opinion.

We tested the Power Commander V and it really was sweet. You basically hook it up, set your desired a/f ratios, run the sled, it adjusts fuel and trims fuel to your desired ratios. It only took about 3 dyno pulls for the PC V to trim the fuel to being just about perfect. That looks to be a great tool if you decide to start with it, add pipes, cans, porting, etc. You'll basically be able to automatically re-tune your fuel without having to go to the dyno.

All in all, it looks like Polaris really got it right with this update. Time will tell but it looks really promising so far.
Wayne”

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dynotech will be doing a second test session with the Polaris 800 to take advantage of cooler air temperatures. The new testing may happen as early as Monday (depending on weather). The last testing was done at 30+ F with intake temps above 50 F. They are going to redo all the tests from stock to several pipe and head configurations. They expect to see improvements over the last session. With the cooler weather they plan to finalize their PC3 maps.:beer:

yoggibear

Reaction score
ty mike please keep me posted my dealer in st.paul said he would try and have them all the eng done by the end of oct he has not even done one yet lol anyway he said they may not change the eng blocks on mine if they are not scored because they changed them when they repaired my eng i hope they r scored i want to c them myself ty mike marcel

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got an 08 800 Dragon and its on engine #5! The first one went at 1450kms and is only at 1900 now, so hundred kms out of a motor is not that bad. lol! But got the updates done so should run now!
PS, Got a 08 800 Dragon for sale

Last edited:

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
using polaris ves gold

There are a few opinions out there that the VES Gold doesn't lubricate the engine sufficiently. I've even been to a dealer and had their mechanic tell me that he doesn't use the VES, he uses the blue oil.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few opinions out there that the VES Gold doesn't lubricate the engine sufficiently. I've even been to a dealer and had their mechanic tell me that he doesn't use the VES, he uses the blue oil.

Everytime I pulled out my exhaust valves to check pistons last year,found them covered in black goo.The valve was hard to remove from head.Will be changing from ves gold to blue oil.

Jenkie

Reaction score
I ran the ves gold all last year from when the sled was new - It is expensive but if this is what Polaris is recommending...why change? I will run this unitl the warranty is off...after that I'm not sure

I hear a lot of hype about the Amsoil...any commments?

Will the oil pump be out of spec due to the viscosity differences between the thick Gold and the thin Amsoil?

jtilley

Reaction score
Well My 2008 800RMK dragon is on its 6th motor!!! Now Polaris says they wont warrenty it any more. To me they have not fixed the problem and are not backing there product. Does anyone know what the fix is or do i say here kitty kitty!!

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems some guys are having luck using the gizmo. Our techs also agree that the pistons and such always look better using blue oil.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems some guys are having luck using the gizmo.

Do you know what temp the 800's should be running at? Mine runs 122-126 in loose snow.When the Gizmo is installed they are saying there's now run at 150ish.What temp does the ECM start to protect the engine,like more fuel less timing?:confused:

Brad62

Reaction score
Mine runs 120 to 130 in loose snow and haard pack with the scratchers down. I put pcv on it last year and haven't looked back, also i think the trick to keeping these things alive is good gas. Ive been running 50/50 100 av gas and regular with no ethanol. This combo of the pcv and the gas has given me about 700 to 800 miles on it so far and it runs strong.

Ride on!!!!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a full SLP kit, air, pipe etc. with reeds some gearing and minor clutch work. The sled has been bullet proof right out of the box. Im not exactly easy on it. Few bent A-arms, melted the sliders down all my fault. No motor issues out side of what Polaris reconized and fixed hassel free.

Sled has been a dream and a great running machine.
Ride hard

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems some guys are having luck using the gizmo.

Do you know what temp the 800's should be running at? Mine runs 122-126 in loose snow.When the Gizmo is installed they are saying there's now run at 150ish.What temp does the ECM start to protect the engine,like more fuel less timing?:confused:

some people say they like it at 120 and some say 150. I don't really know what the better temp would be.

Top Bottom