the untold problem 2008 09 polaris 800 eng failures

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
nice thx alot for the info
i like what they do about changing silencer.....who keeps the suitcase in anyways lol
MBRP all the way, probaly have to put the stock one in to take it in to the dealer

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got really excited when I looked through my mail today and saw a letter form Polaris. It turned out to be a customer satisfaction questionnaire for a repair I had done last March. Silly me thinking it might be an early recall letter.:rolleyes:

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
I got really excited when I looked through my mail today and saw a letter form Polaris. It turned out to be a customer satisfaction questionnaire for a repair I had done last March. Silly me thinking it might be an early recall letter.:rolleyes:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang lol
i hope they get this out soon, cause all the dealers are going to be swamped doing these updates and probally take 2 months for a guys sled to get done:confused:

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hope they get this out soon, cause all the dealers are going to be swamped doing these updates and probally take 2 months for a guys sled to get done:confused:

5 month to send out a questionnaire?! I don’t remember what I had done, let alone was it a good or bad experience. I hope they are a bit more timely getting this recall letter out.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was at cycleworks south today, talked with craig about when I could bring in my dragon.He told me should be early sept for parts.He has started a list of owners and will be calling them.:cool:

yoggibear

Reaction score
my polaris dealer in st.paul said they now know what causes the prob and it is the heads and the eng usually failed in the mid range rpm so they will replace all the 2008 2009 800 eng from the eng blocks pistons heads injectors but not the bottom of eng and the crank mine was done this winter but not with this new set up so they will do mine again and also give an extra yr warranty wow ty marcel

snwrdr4life

Reaction score
Wasn't just the head, in fact that is prob. on e of the last places they should look for the solution. The biggest problem was the mapping on it. The mapping created a lean spot in the mid range where most people "cruise" at, creating excessive heat, single ring psiton design is not good for that exact situation, and kaboom.

The reason for all the things they added were to eliminate as many possibilities as they could. The double ring'd psitons will fit a lot better, the mapping will be more ricj in the middle and hopefully leaner on top, and the head and can will help with the heat dispense on the engine.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice thx alot for the info
i like what they do about changing silencer.....who keeps the suitcase in anyways lol
MBRP all the way, probaly have to put the stock one in to take it in to the dealer

i fackin love my suitcase hahah,

if i get a stinger its going to be a quiet one, probably slp......i had mbrp on my old sled, sounds amazing but fack you get home and you can still hear the ringing

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New parts are going to start to ship on September 14. Letters to customers will start going out this week.

Again, the recall will include new dual ring pistons, new head, and new programming. Only the short tracks and Switchbacks will get a new silencer. For the RMK/Dragon, the stock silencer or SLP silencer is recommended by Polaris for high altitude. For low altitude Polaris has a new silencer available (p/n 1262142-rmk). I don’t know if the low altitude RMK silencer will be included in the recall if you want it. My guess, probably not.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some more info posted on SW.

“Just got done reading the bulletin. All low altitude dragons/rmks/assaults will have to purchase a service silencer from Polaris at reduced cost (as of now no cost available). It wont be included with the kit. At high altitude only Polaris stock can or slp replacement can is ok to run. Any other can voids warranty. The ECU reflash will have an aggressive Det sensor. It retards timing, and adds fuel. If it cant stop the det, it goes to limp mode and will only run 6000 rpm until restarted. It will flash the service engine soon light when it senses det. Also when the kit is done, if customer doesn’t have proof that the fuel filter was changed at 1000 miles and again at 3000 miles, the dealer must install a new filter(at customers expense). Polaris also requires their new Polaris gold plus oil to be run to honor the warranty (during first tank of fuel must premix 1 qt of semi synthetic blue oil for break in).”

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
finally some good news i hope mines gets here quick i want this done and over with
cant wait to see if it will make a difference... probally not though

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sent an e-mail to SLP asking about their single pipe and the Polaris update.

My question to SLP
“I am an owner of a 2009 Polaris 800 RMK snowmobile. I have been reading the information being released about the impending Polaris recall / update for the 800 CFI engines. In particular I am concerned with the issue of different silencer for high altitude (current stock, and SLP) and a new silencer for low altitude. I had been considering a full SLP single pipe kit for my sled, but I do a majority of my riding at just under 3000 feet elevation. In light of the silencer announcement from Polaris, how suitable is the SLP single pipe for low elevation operation? Are there plans for a revised SLP single pipe for low altitude?”

Response from SLP
“These are good questions. We are not changing the pipe or silencer on the Polaris 800 as our pipe kit as well as our silencer to fit the stock pipe is already a high flow unit. The changes Polaris are making to the stock silencer for 0-3000 foot are directed at allowing more flow, so our setup is already supportive of that. We have tested it on the updated Polaris parts for 2010 and know that it works well. Polaris is selling our silencer in there catalog for the 2008-210 models.

Thanks,

Dustin Pancheri
Sales/Tech/Race sponsorship”

So if you are running with a SLP silencer or single pipe kit, and you run at low altitude, you should be OK with the update.

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
hmm this is good to know
anyone check out those BMP pipes for our sleds??they claim pretty high hp
so will polaris be doing these recalls based on when they sold the sleds last year? like who bought the first ones and has dibs to get the update first?

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm this is good to know
anyone check out those BMP pipes for our sleds??they claim pretty high hp
so will polaris be doing these recalls based on when they sold the sleds last year? like who bought the first ones and has dibs to get the update first?

It will depend on the dealer. Likely first come, first served. I just got back from CW. My 09 RMK is number ten on the list.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am #9 on the list at cycle works south.
Hey mike have you priced out your slp pipe kit? sure are pricey.

DUSTINSPELLMAN

Reaction score
check out that BMP pipe for our 09 800
it looks to be good and ive read a few good things
any one have any personal exp?

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am #9 on the list at cycle works south.
Hey mike have you priced out your slp pipe kit? sure are pricey.

Bugger! You got in just before me! I’ve been looking on the internet, but I haven’t done any local price comparing yet. Maybe that new rewards card at CW can help out. At a minimum I will have to spend $125 US on the Polaris hi flow RMK silencer. I’m thinking I should use that towards a pipe kit instead. Just doing my part to keep the economy going. lol.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are any of you guys got or going to have your stock pipe kicking around???I need a couple of 08/09 800 stock pipe....so i can do an exchange program with my Turbo installs.....
Thx
BD

Top Bottom