The TRUTH about ProClimb 800 being belt burners?

4dzrule

Reaction score
Ok guys looking for some help here. Its time to retire the M8 and I'm hearing/reading all these horror stories about some of the 2012/2013 800's eating belts. I'm looking at a 2013 800 162 with 200km on it and its suppose to go in for a clutch update he tells me. Just looking for the dirty on these sleds as I don't have any in my riding group other than 1100T's. I plan on keeping this sled stock, well until I'm convinced its better than my M8 anyway. Thanks!

thekrust

Reaction score
Some did eat belts - no doubt. Mine was one of them. I put a TEAM secondary on and geared it down I tooth on top, no more problems.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 12 and now a 13 neither one was a belt blower, but in fairness I only had about 500 miles on the 12 and now about the same on the 13. I will say the 13 is a much improved over the 12 for driveability, but it does take some adjustment from the old chassis.

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends 2012 ate belts from day 1. After updates it was ok but not really many miles to really know

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two guys in our ground had 12 and they both blew belts like crazy one day they blew 3 belts each .. We will say they are I the aggressive category

geordiep

Reaction score
There is a new secondary that supposedly reduces heat by 30%: 2013's will get it for free. 2012's - $150. A new alignment setting of 1.4~~

I had a 2012 belt burner too. Dealer warranty gave me brand new clutches and the new kevlar(084) belt helps. Only have 50 km so far but less heat. Things that help:
20t top gear for 20/49 (stock is 21/49) - drops temps 50 degrees
cat will be offering discount on: 19/50 gearing, 1-piece clutch guard, & vent kit at cost to 2012/2013 owners
get a full vent kit - Mountain Fit Hood's 10-piece kit - $140

Last edited:

4dzrule

Reaction score
Hmmm, 3 belts each in one day on 2 different sleds??? that's crazy. Maybe I should wait and see if the new gearing and clutches help...just looked at a 2013 163 this afternoon with 400km on it and his clutch guard is all bent up and rubbed on the primary, he blew a belt in the first 100km and the sled has never seen the mountains...

geordiep

Reaction score
Two guys in our ground had 12 and they both blew belts like crazy one day they blew 3 belts each .. We will say they are I the aggressive category
3 in one day? They are asking for it if they don't break the belts in - this goes for any brand.

Demon13

Reaction score
I have a 2013 with 1200miles and have blown two belts the first one was at 250 miles and the second at 1000 miles. (Belt gaurd mangled) I am looking into the new 2014 updates right now and I guess if you bought your 13 before march you have to pay for the clutch update. Not sure why this is but $150 is better than $500 for a clutch upgrade.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat has some some awesome stuff for 2014. One being new heat hardened clutches. Some older clutches worked just fine however some were unbalanced (sheaves were out of true) because of their curing process. This wobble caused a ton of heat as the belt vibrated and skidded on the sheave. Meaning some blew belts and others were just fine. Either way if you want the new clutches cat is making them available for everyone. If you have warranty you get one. If you are out then you get one cheap! Really cheap. Contact your local dealer for Pricing. As far as gearing goes. The new gearing is MUCH lower which decreases belt (drivetrain) temperatures even more and puts more torque to the ground. Win / Win! New clutching and gearing will go a LONG way. Hope this info helps!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew a belt around 500km put a 084 Kevlar on and now have 1100km on that belt which includes pulling a dead 09 XP for 15km on the Corbin poker rally. I'm still gonna buy the upgraded clutch.

4dzrule

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I want a good strong stock sled that works and I really want to stick with a cat...meanwhile everyone else is jumping on the XM wagon. Stojans in GP has 240 snow checked XMs (not a typo) and the front ends bend if you even look at a rock...so I would be just another sheep in the herd if I put on the yellow shorts. The polaris 800 feels more like a 700 and the belt drive has yet to impress anyone. I guess in the end if the Pro Climb belt issue can be resolved with these new clutches then I shouldn't be disappointed. The old M8 is a solid sled...maybe I should keep her in the corner just in case. What about this torque arm or TCM that is cracking and guys are claiming an alignment issue??? Is a stock sled issue as well or the heavy mod/boost guys having this issue?

Top Bottom