The spread of misinformation on Social media

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fact-check.jpg

I received an email from a friend a couple of weeks ago, he had sent it to dozens of people and he was just trying to be helpful. The problem was...the information contained within the email was not true.

Someone had forwarded information about a massive driving violation fine re-structure in BC and he was trying to warn his friends to be careful while driving in BC because some of the fines were huge. I had a hard time believing this information as couple of things did not ring as true. First was the amount of the fines...seemed crazy high. Second was the dollar amounts...in BC the driving violation fines have always been some weird unusual dollar amounts like, $178, $385, $98 etc, etc, ect. These new fines were all nicely ending in zero, $500, $1,500, $2,000.

So I went online to the ICBC website, I searched the internet using every phrase I could think of and I could not come up with anything that supported the info my friend had spread. I emailed him and asked who/what the source was and told him the info seemed to be inaccurate, but maybe I didn't find the relevant information...all he would say was it was a good friend who passed it on to him.

So where did this information originate and why has it continued to spread unchecked and unverified? Maybe it's someone who lives in BC and doesn't think the current fine structure is high enough to deter drivers from violating the rules of the road, so they made up there own fine structure and hoped it would spread like wildfire on social media?

Since I received that misinformed email I have had one other person repeating the misinformation about the new $2,000 fine...and so it carries on.

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
View attachment 216904

I received an email from a friend a couple of weeks ago, he had sent it to dozens of people and he was just trying to be helpful. The problem was...the information contained within the email was not true.

Someone had forwarded information about a massive driving violation fine re-structure in BC and he was trying to warn his friends to be careful while driving in BC because some of the fines were huge. I had a hard time believing this information as couple of things did not ring as true. First was the amount of the fines...seemed crazy high. Second was the dollar amounts...in BC the driving violation fines have always been some weird unusual dollar amounts like, $178, $385, $98 etc, etc, ect. These new fines were all nicely ending in zero, $500, $1,500, $2,000.

So I went online to the ICBC website, I searched the internet using every phrase I could think of and I could not come up with anything that supported the info my friend had spread. I emailed him and asked who/what the source was and told him the info seemed to be inaccurate, but maybe I didn't find the relevant information...all he would say was it was a good friend who passed it on to him.

So where did this information originate and why has it continued to spread unchecked and unverified? Maybe it's someone who lives in BC and doesn't think the current fine structure is high enough to deter drivers from violating the rules of the road, so they made up there own fine structure and hoped it would spread like wildfire on social media?

Since I received that misinformed email I have had one other person repeating the misinformation about the new $2,000 fine...and so it carries on.

So your telling me just because I see it in the internet doesn’t make it true...lol
Seen that misinformation happen a few times, makes me chuckle

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got some time to kill today...I have a colonoscopy scheduled and can't wander to far from home lol. Thought I should work on my post count by starting a new thread.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Misinformation can be spread in person or books or anything......the best way humans have ever shared information is the Internet.....pisses the powers to be off for sure.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Misinformation can be spread in person or books or anything......the best way humans have ever shared information is the Internet.....pisses the powers to be off for sure.

The best thing about the internet is everyone now has a voice on a world wide stage...the worst thing about the internet is everyone now has a voice on a world wide stage.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

One of the comments to the video said NASA should come out with a statement on April 1st apologizing for faking that the earth is a globe and admitting it was flat. I laughed my ass off at that...it would be hilarious.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me. You better stay real close the the bathroom as most colonoscopy has the person getting cleaned out on the night before the test
I've got some time to kill today...I have a colonoscopy scheduled and can't wander to far from home lol. Thought I should work on my post count by starting a new thread.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me. You better stay real close the the bathroom as most colonoscopy has the person getting cleaned out on the night before the test

I hope for your sake you don’t have to drink the pineapple flavoured 4l jug of disgustingness

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope for your sake you don’t have to drink the pineapple flavoured 4l jug of disgustingness

Nope...started on the dulcolax, soon moving on to Purg-Odan...some kind of generic oral purgative. Not looking forward to that.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the comments to the video said NASA should come out with a statement on April 1st apologizing for faking that the earth is a globe and admitting it was flat. I laughed my ass off at that...it would be hilarious.
Oh for sure. I have a map on my wall at home, I just checked and it’s flat. They just make those globe thing so it fits on your desk better. It’s true, seen it on utube.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope...started on the dulcolax, soon moving on to Purg-Odan...some kind of generic oral purgative. Not looking forward to that.

Every 5 years for early detection.
Nothing but a good time.
I do a cancer MRI scan every 5 years also so I get to drink a couple liters of other good glow in your organs stuff also.
Then the cAmery that goes down your throat tI'll it says high to the colonoscopy camera.
All part of my 5 year checkups.
Don't read Internet junk on any of this or you will be grossly swayed on truth.
Get your info from your doctor.
Nobody else really matters unless you looking for Wikipedia definitions.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing about the internet is everyone now has a voice on a world wide stage...the worst thing about the internet is everyone now has a voice on a world wide stage.

What's the agenda of the person that spreads the mis-information? Are they a nut-job that wants some attention? Are they a corporation secretly trying to push a product? A politician that's looking for some votes? Con-men looking to scam someone? Or anarchists trying to stir up **** (on local or national levels)?

Checking your sources is more important than ever, we can't assume anyone has our best interests in mind.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Every 5 years for early detection.
Nothing but a good time.
I do a cancer MRI scan every 5 years also so I get to drink a couple liters of other good glow in your organs stuff also.
Then the cAmery that goes down your throat tI'll it says high to the colonoscopy camera.
All part of my 5 year checkups.
Don't read Internet junk on any of this or you will be grossly swayed on truth.
Get your info from your doctor.
Nobody else really matters unless you looking for Wikipedia definitions.
Sounds like a treat. I don't do doctors.

Top Bottom