The other Dodge 6.7 thread...

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a Smarty s67 on thier dodge? Was thinking of buying one off a guy, how do you tell if the tunes are in the programmer? I've heard of guys buying a programmer and the tunning is still in the other guys truck still. Do these work this way?

Is the smarty any good for towing, mileage etc?

Last edited:

funrider

Reaction score
I had a guy let me try his first then I bought mine.
I'm not sure how to tell
they all work good but the biggest gain you will get is from doing the deletes
the power is from mild to wild
are you worried about warranty?
you cant keep it on when you are going to go to the dealer
hope this helps
buy the way I like mine
lifted dually,deletes and 17mpg

Bill

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a guy let me try his first then I bought mine.
I'm not sure how to tell
they all work good but the biggest gain you will get is from doing the deletes
the power is from mild to wild
are you worried about warranty?
you cant keep it on when you are going to go to the dealer
hope this helps
buy the way I like mine
lifted dually,deletes and 17mpg

Bill

I was going to buy a H&S but at $1500 with the tranny tune, it was going to have to wait for awhile. but I stumbeled onto a smarty s67 for $450, so I figured it was good enough deal that I could do my deletes which is what I'm after soooner rather than later. Then down the road I could always sell it and buy the H&S if I wanted to. But My biggest worry is drive to Edmonton and buy a hand held plastic box!

I'm not to worried about warranty. I'm not modding out to 600hp. My goal is get the delete's in and get a little mileage while I'm at it is cool!

Thanks

monster sledder

Reaction score
I paid 520 for a new smarty jr. Some guys are leaving the program in and selling the programmer and its about 150 to reprogram it i heard

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have a buddy using it, and loves it, but never tried anything else so he has nothing to compare to.

I am running the Edge Juice/Attitude and love it, been to the dealer with it, and no issues. Only disadvantage is the soft codes...with the deletes it still throws a soft code, and the Juice will eliminate it, but you have to wait a few seconds when you turn your key, and sometimes those few seconds feel like forever. The Smarty will ELIMINATE the codes and they dont reappear, which would be real nice. The dealer cannot tell you have a Juice on the 6.7 (IF YOU REMOVE IT) but they can see the traces of the Smarty on the 6.7 where the Smarty was undetectable on the 5.9...

Look at em both, good and bad to both.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy using it, and loves it, but never tried anything else so he has nothing to compare to.

I am running the Edge Juice/Attitude and love it, been to the dealer with it, and no issues. Only disadvantage is the soft codes...with the deletes it still throws a soft code, and the Juice will eliminate it, but you have to wait a few seconds when you turn your key, and sometimes those few seconds feel like forever. The Smarty will ELIMINATE the codes and they dont reappear, which would be real nice. The dealer cannot tell you have a Juice on the 6.7 (IF YOU REMOVE IT) but they can see the traces of the Smarty on the 6.7 where the Smarty was undetectable on the 5.9...

Look at em both, good and bad to both.

Tough to go to the dealer without the programmer, if ya have done all the deletes wouldnt it? I geuss if ya toasted a tranny or something it would be worth it to swap back to stock!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tough to go to the dealer without the programmer, if ya have done all the deletes wouldnt it? I geuss if ya toasted a tranny or something it would be worth it to swap back to stock!

I had a ppe for 40.000 km and then did the egr and dpf delete now i run the smarty. My ppe made more top end power but was slow from the lights. The smarty rips from a stop but a little less when passing. If you chip a dodge 6.7 be prepared to do the head. Blew minewith 2 sleds on the deck and driving hard in tow mode for 4 hrs. $3100. for stud kit and maching on the head also a boost and egt gauge from nadp. Not to bad for a fix

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Dealer approved all the deletes, so they were fully aware it would show up with soft codes. We own a pipeline company and you cannot run a truck up and down a pipeline fast enough to regenerate...after 2 DPF's on warranty they were more than willing to let us cut it off...less than 30 days from purchase lol

I had a ppe for 40.000 km and then did the egr and dpf delete now i run the smarty. My ppe made more top end power but was slow from the lights. The smarty rips from a stop but a little less when passing. If you chip a dodge 6.7 be prepared to do the head. Blew minewith 2 sleds on the deck and driving hard in tow mode for 4 hrs. $3100. for stud kit and maching on the head also a boost and egt gauge from nadp. Not to bad for a fix

I would blame your PPE perhaps because I have over 100k on mine and its hooked to a load daily with the Juice. Zero tranny or engine issues to date. 2 sleds on a deck would be close to the weight of my tools and slip tank BEFORE I hook up a trailer...You should not have blown a head, in fact its the first one I have heard of on the 6.7

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer approved all the deletes, so they were fully aware it would show up with soft codes. We own a pipeline company and you cannot run a truck up and down a pipeline fast enough to regenerate...after 2 DPF's on warranty they were more than willing to let us cut it off...less than 30 days from purchase lol

I would blame your PPE perhaps because I have over 100k on mine and its hooked to a load daily with the Juice. Zero tranny or engine issues to date. 2 sleds on a deck would be close to the weight of my tools and slip tank BEFORE I hook up a trailer...You should not have blown a head, in fact its the first one I have heard of on the 6.7

Actually they are starting to be very common in the 6.7 even with out a chip nadp has done stud kits in many 6.7 dodges now not bad like the 6 liter ford but the dodge 6.7 is weak also

smokindiesel

Reaction score
If your worryed about the tunner being vin locked, just plug it into your truck and see if it will tune your truck, If its vin locked it will let you know pretty quick, if it is a ME version your will not be able to run it untill you pull the DPF. If is not the ME version you can run it, then just upgrade it to the ME for free on madds website when you do the delete. H and S has some really hot tunes, but they have a lot of issuses locking up engine computers. H and S has always been able to fix this over the internet, but only durring there bussnes hours so it can be really inconvenent.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Actually they are starting to be very common in the 6.7 even with out a chip nadp has done stud kits in many 6.7 dodges now not bad like the 6 liter ford but the dodge 6.7 is weak also

Ok, I will try and say this without being rude, but just because NADP 'says' something does not make it so...(or true)

Barry and his crew have blown more crap up than any other diesel outfit on earth! They 'may' have done a bunch of stud kits, but NOT because stock 6.7 engines are blowing heads...now you are just spreading news that just isnt happening...

The Dodge 6.7 isnt weak...your choice of shop may leave a little bit to be desired though. Do your own research, join some forums, talk to some real mechanics before you announce that the engine is weak LOL

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will try and say this without being rude, but just because NADP 'says' something does not make it so...(or true)

Barry and his crew have blown more crap up than any other diesel outfit on earth! They 'may' have done a bunch of stud kits, but NOT because stock 6.7 engines are blowing heads...now you are just spreading news that just isnt happening...

The Dodge 6.7 isnt weak...your choice of shop may leave a little bit to be desired though. Do your own research, join some forums, talk to some real mechanics before you announce that the engine is weak LOL

I dont wanna be mean either, or rude!! this post isnt about nadp and for your info they had nothing to do with 6.7 dodge problems. My truck was never in there shop before. Dodge wouldnt warrenty the head gasket cause they had foot prints of my chip. Dodge wanted $ 4200 to fix just the head and put there junk gasket back in. nadp did a stud kit, boost and egt gauges, egr delete and machined the head for $3200 all in. This psot was to let others know that the 6.7 can and does have a weak head gasket. Your the first person to say different. Since i blew mine i have run into numerous people with them and upon talking found others with the same problem. All i wanted was for others to be aware of my situation and to be be surprised if it happens to them

dooski

Reaction score
Blew mine twice on my 6.7 2008 and they do have a problem and the first time i blew the head gasket i put in arp studs and still blew another gasket

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew mine twice on my 6.7 2008 and they do have a problem and the first time i blew the head gasket i put in arp studs and still blew another gasket

Was your engine stock when it blew the head gaskets? How is it working now with the ARP studs installed? Sounds like I should invest in a set. Which ones did you install...the 425s or the 625s?

Good luck with your truck!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Smarty is the only programmer that doesn't leave an ECM footprint, even stated on their website.

Guys blowing gaskets are running too much boost for long periods, period. Smarty also has a built in BF that I believe maxes out around 44psi, but don't quote me on it.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Agree about the head gaskets...too much boost, too much fuel, not enough air, the list goes on and on. You cant just throw a big programmer on your truck, go out and drive the nutz off it, and then complain that the 6.7 is weak and blows heads, thats ridiculous.

Give us some more info...What programmer, on what level, and what other additions or deletions were done to the truck. Tell us the whole story, and I bet I and others here can tell you where you ran into the trouble.

Forget that it is a Dodge, or a 6.7, you will do this to any diesel if you dont mod them right.

Fill us in, there has to be more to the story...there is no way in the world that a 6.7 with 2 sleds on will blow a head gasket.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree about the head gaskets...too much boost, too much fuel, not enough air, the list goes on and on. You cant just throw a big programmer on your truck, go out and drive the nutz off it, and then complain that the 6.7 is weak and blows heads, thats ridiculous.

Give us some more info...What programmer, on what level, and what other additions or deletions were done to the truck. Tell us the whole story, and I bet I and others here can tell you where you ran into the trouble.

Forget that it is a Dodge, or a 6.7, you will do this to any diesel if you dont mod them right.

Fill us in, there has to be more to the story...there is no way in the world that a 6.7 with 2 sleds on will blow a head gasket.

I was running a smarty box on stage 3 (tow) I had a dpf delete and a afe intake. No other mods on the truck. I left revi and there was a ton of rigs on the road. On the long straights i was passing as many as i could and holding my foot into it. I remember thinking this is the first time i drove it hard. cummins engines can take it. So i pull up for fuel at nordegg and when i get out i see coolant all over the driverside of my truck. I new right then it was spiting out of the overflow cause boost was getting past the head gasket. The new 6.7 head is corougated kinda like cardboard. Theres also not alot of meat around the cylinders to deal with the heat. I am sure if i had egr delete i would have been ok. egt Gauges might have helped. Now i have the egr gone and pulling 14000 lbs on the tow mode i cant get over 1100 degrees. My guess is the egr must have made a difference on cylinder temps. Im telling you the head gasket and the head design isnt designed as well as the 5.9 The head is also machine flat now to hold the gasket down and arp studs should be the fix,. oh and my sleds are turbo nitros and not light weight xp or m 8 This truck was never driven hard and the first time i did thats what happened to me

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was running a smarty box on stage 3 (tow) I had a dpf delete and a afe intake. No other mods on the truck. I left revi and there was a ton of rigs on the road. On the long straights i was passing as many as i could and holding my foot into it. I remember thinking this is the first time i drove it hard. cummins engines can take it. So i pull up for fuel at nordegg and when i get out i see coolant all over the driverside of my truck. I new right then it was spiting out of the overflow cause boost was getting past the head gasket. The new 6.7 head is corougated kinda like cardboard. Theres also not alot of meat around the cylinders to deal with the heat. I am sure if i had egr delete i would have been ok. egt Gauges might have helped. Now i have the egr gone and pulling 14000 lbs on the tow mode i cant get over 1100 degrees. My guess is the egr must have made a difference on cylinder temps. Im telling you the head gasket and the head design isnt designed as well as the 5.9 The head is also machine flat now to hold the gasket down and arp studs should be the fix,. oh and my sleds are turbo nitros and not light weight xp or m 8 This truck was never driven hard and the first time i did thats what happened to me

That sucks breaking down out of town. I read that some of the earlier Smarty tunes for the 6.7 used a bit too much timing advance...which contributed to a few head gasket failures. Maybe you were running an earlier tune? The latest tunes are running more conservative timing settings. They have also released some hotter tunes (TNT) for the 6.7 that need a few major supporting mods to work properly.

I deleted the emission systems (DPF, NOX, CAT, EGR) on my truck shortly after purchaing it back in 2007. The truck has been performing excellent since the deletes and I have not had any trouble with the engine. Fuel economy is up almost double of what is was. To be fair I was on one of the earliest flashes and subsequent reflashing probably helped feul economy also.

I have found some weak links in the stock parts and also some aftermarket parts that I used for my modifications. When I tested my intercooler system for boost leaks I found that many of the stock clamps were letting boosted air past them. I only have to replace 2 more and no more worries. The stock boost tube is very restrictive so I made my own out of 3.5 inch pipe. I took it off recently to experiment with some other mods and you can sure tell it needs more air now. As soon as I can it will be back on my truck.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Man, horrible luck, and truthfully shouldnt have happened in my mind. I doubt it was an EGT issue, I daily run in the 1100-1200 range with a loaded trailer, but honestly with all the oilfield trucks here pulling stupid weights we are not seeing head gasket issues (now the Fords are a whole different story LOL).

I have played with the EGR both on and off and while the truck runs better (and cooler) with the EGR bypassed, low throttle, the engine gets real rough for no apparent reason. Just ran 8000kms through the US with it off, and no issues, get home and driving around town, and rough as heck.

I still maintain that you should have never blown the gasket, and timing on the box would likely be the culprit even though 3 is a pretty tame setting. The SMarty on the 5.9 was the greatest but it sure isnt as good on the 6.7. I will stick with the EDGE for now. AND my next truck will be a 6 speed manual again...no more autos for me!

Top Bottom