The King of Kakwa

indy500

Reaction score
Have you heard of The King of Kakwa's attempt to reach the peaks of the Renshaw. I for one commend him for his efforts. He is an amazing rider, you may have read about him in snow riders west about his legendary ATV racing career, he some time goes by the name Ryan D.
Has any one else attempted this? If so any tips for this trip? Can he make it in one day?

indy500

Reaction score
ryansled.jpg ryanjump.jpg ryans.jpg

Last edited:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear of a few people that have done it what i hear there a old logging road that you can follow fuel is a big issue

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People have done Walker Creek Road and I have done most of that trip but fuel was an issue.........cross country from Renshaw to Kakwa? Ya tried that also.
Yes there is a trail and no you will not have enough fuel without pulling a skidder and you will not climb the waterfall at the south end of the Morkil road with more than you azz on a sled and at that point you still have 40Km to the Renshaw cabin and are about 100KM out from the Kakwa cabin. The King?? needs to do a bit more research and he better call S&R before he leaves with his spot cause he will be pressing the button and needing their assisstance. Good luck your gonna need it. There are other threads on the site, hell just google map what you are contemplating and if you make it I'll buy you a beer, ah hell I'll buy you a case. This milage is as the raven flies not as the sled travels by the way.

Last edited:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of The King of Kakwa's attempt to reach the peaks of the Renshaw. I for one commend him for his efforts. He is an amazing rider, you may have read about him in snow riders west about his legendary ATV racing career, he some time goes by the name Ryan D.
Has any one else attempted this? If so any tips for this trip? Can he make it in one day?

"legendary ATV racing career"???? Ryan D??????

indy500

Reaction score
Yeah you never heard of him, look up riders west, had a few page article...pro champion of the Alberta Triple Crown ATV Racing Series

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its been done many times in the early 90s. its a long ride and fuel is the big problem.late spring is the time to attempt this as fuel lasts the longest.the closer you get to the renshaw is where it gets really tough.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its been done many times in the early 90s. its a long ride and fuel is the big problem.late spring is the time to attempt this as fuel lasts the longest.the closer you get to the renshaw is where it gets really tough.

Did they go cross county and past the million dollar mile not to far from Forgetmenot and into Renshaw via the Morkil River Forestry road or just go down the Walker Creek Forestry road?
If they made it cross country I am impressed and sit corrected because the waterfall climb at the end of Renshaw (about 10Km past Spirit Lake) is a gooder.

Dustine

Reaction score
I just was at Mcbride Renshaw was hard as a rock could make it to the lake with a 121 no good snow but could climb as high as your balls would let you. The only thing side hilling on ice and hard snow was a little interesting. Never checked out the water fall.Still had great time thanks to Scarecrow B&B great place good food and nice people.

indy500

Reaction score
So sounds like some people did this trip in the 90's on some old phazers and indy 500s, sounds like it could be done.... just bring loads of fuel and a tent

finndoo

Reaction score
The access between the walker cr fsr and the morkhill fsr that I think they used back in the day has been closed since 09 due to caribou habitat closures. On the morkhill side there is a trapper that is not friendly and we have had issues with as recently as last spring. One time He actually tried to ram us off the road with his skandic 40 Klms away from the truck. I wouldn't bother trying to go over the mount forgetmenot area, it is just quicker and easier to go around, the bridges are in place on the main road and it is easy riding. The old logging road that brings you up to the backside of the renshaw is full of deactivation ditches and numerous creeks with no bridges as well as stretches of willows that are extremely thick. Depending on snow conditions and previous temperatures that part might be easy or really difficult and time consuming. We have looked a bit at finding a way around the waterfall but can not confirm anything as of yet.

Top Bottom