The bare neccessities

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this has been beat to death, but I am wondering if there should be a fourth item added to the list.

1. Beacon
2. Shovel
3. Probe

4. 2 way radio?

We had an incident while snowboarding in Golden this weekend. A class 2 came down. There were 6 of us at the bottom (to the side) and 3 up top. After the slide came down, we had no way to know if anyone had been taken down with it (Nobody saw anyone go down in the slide, and there was no debris). All of us on the bottom had radios, but got no response. We wasted several minutes of frustration trying to make sure noone had came down. We eventually got the all clear and got everyone out of there safe, noone was swept down.

In the end, radios could have saved everyone a lot of frustration.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
ya , I can't stress it enough how handy it is to have those little radios in your pocket. I bust all my buddie's balls each time they "forget" it at home or it's "out of batteries".

It IS an essential, I've personally been in countless situations where is has come in very handy and saved a lot of frustration and time.

Good call.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree,
My buddies always look at me funny when I hand them one before we ride

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have actually seen that on an official list somewhere on one of the avi sites. Always bring 4 things, beacon, probe, shovel, radio. Can't remember which site though.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Good post! Radios are key.

of how voice activated radios saved 2 of them from a serious avalanche accident.

"When the avalanche started, Bob and I were at the bottom of the hill but not quite out of the run out zone. Garry noticed and hollered over the radio. I was parallel with the bottom of the hill, Bob was going towards the hill so he was facing it straight on…"

Top Bottom