Thanks for the hand

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I'm really suprised at some individuals that made the effort to drive down the alley where I live, right up to the car that I was to drive today hit the hi-beams and sit there for a minute then just back up and drive away. The snow was a mess in my back alley, and the car was big time stuck. I backed out of my driveway at 3:30 am and the truck came down the alley with 2 people at about 6:20 am. Anyway I was suprised. I ended up scraping down to the asphalt, and rocking the car. With my shovel and scraper and pushing with my left foot I was able to get this moved and back into my driveway. Ended up taking the truck. The Toyota corola hybrid really sucks with traction control. Tire only spins for a second then stops. It will spin at max 10km hr. That really sucks when you are stuck. Guess I can't catch the plane now, gotta drive. What goes around comes around!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of traction control, sometimes you need wheel speed to get moving. Almost got me killed in my z24 trying to get up to speed turning onto the hwy back when I lived in Lamont.

Wifes benz is the only traction control I've ever driven which in my opinion does what it's supposed to do, rather than cutting power to the wheels it just transfers power back and forth between them... her car is amazing in the snow and ice for a rear wheel drive.

I love my Subaru....I figure they have a customer for life....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there no way to over-ride the traction control? wife has stabilitrak and traction control on her envoy, but they can both be turned off. I call it "woman proof"

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
is there no way to over-ride the traction control? wife has stabilitrak and traction control on her envoy, but they can both be turned off. I call it "woman proof"

the z24 didn't have override.... the wifes car does and I was playing with it but even with it turned off it's not really off, just less sensitive. turned on it won't fishtail at all, but even with it turned off it only allows so much spin I can get her to fishtail a 1/4 turn but no more than that before the TC kicks back in....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of traction control, sometimes you need wheel speed to get moving. Almost got me killed in my z24 trying to get up to speed turning onto the hwy back when I lived in Lamont.

Wifes benz is the only traction control I've ever driven which in my opinion does what it's supposed to do, rather than cutting power to the wheels it just transfers power back and forth between them... her car is amazing in the snow and ice for a rear wheel drive.

I love my Subaru....I figure they have a customer for life....
mercedes TC works the same as everyone else's, brakes are applied to spinning wheels tranferring torque to those with traction

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the z24 didn't have override.... the wifes car does and I was playing with it but even with it turned off it's not really off, just less sensitive. turned on it won't fishtail at all, but even with it turned off it only allows so much spin I can get her to fishtail a 1/4 turn but no more than that before the TC kicks back in....
on the envoy it shuts right off, but leaves a warning message displayed on the computer....but you can do brake stands and donuts with it off

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
mercedes TC works the same as everyone else's, brakes are applied to spinning wheels tranferring torque to those with traction

feels different, quicker response maybe, I dunno.... but I can get her car up to speed on snow/ice covered roads a lot quicker than any other T/C equiped car I've driven....

I wish it would turn off completely, but it's good for her....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
feels different, quicker response maybe, I dunno.... but I can get her car up to speed on snow/ice covered roads a lot quicker than any other T/C equiped car I've driven....

I wish it would turn off completely, but it's good for her....
there is probably a lot more research and development on the benz system, as well as a crazy huge processor that controls it that would be cost prohibitive to the other brands. you get what you pay for....:beer:

and I agree, they are the best thing to come along for women drivers, no disrespect intended.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate traction control and all the computer BS. Give me 4 wheels that lock up like the old real 4wd vehicles use to be, the ones you could barely turn a corner with. Those are the best system. Or just a front and rear locker.....Instead of the "4wd" on these new vehicles that is really "2wd" because only 1 tire spins front and 1 rear works like crap :mad:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I hate traction control and all the computer BS. Give me 4 wheels that lock up like the old real 4wd vehicles use to be, the ones you could barely turn a corner with. Those are the best system. Or just a front and rear locker.....Instead of the "4wd" on these new vehicles that is really "2wd" because only 1 tire spins front and 1 rear works like crap :mad:

Watch watching a show last night and they comment that Mistubishi is one of the only SUV manufactures that have the ability to go into 4X4 as compared to All Wheel Drive.

I really liked mine and it went though a ton of snow.

images

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
my Subaru AWD system is awesome... it is 80/20 split rear/front under normal driving conditions but in adverse conditions can transfer power to 20/80 rear/front.... and with all 4 wheels on equal traction it spins all 4 with 50/50 front/back and 50/50 left right... I can plow thru fresh snow up to the hood and even in the rutted out side streets scraping my undercariage allong it grabs full traction (the hakkapellitas help too)..... not sure how long the tranny would last with a difflock cornering at 80 km/h on pavement....

My old scotsdale had a posi-rear and front locking dana hubs....
My 89 3500 locks all wheels as well.... nice for pushing bales around in 2 ft of snow... not so nice when you forget to pull it out of 4wd before hitting the blacktop....

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
So I'm sorry Ron - I was driving down the back alley - saw you stuck and thought, if you would have shoveled your drive way then you wouldn't be stuck, put the truck in reverse...hit the high beams a couple of times to say Hi an left you...lol...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
So I'm sorry Ron - I was driving down the back alley - saw you stuck and thought, if you would have shoveled your drive way then you wouldn't be stuck, put the truck in reverse...hit the high beams a couple of times to say Hi an left you...lol...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:beer::d

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This corolla has the traction control but you cant turn it off. When you hit the gas the speedo goes up to between 10 and 15 then it lets off. As it senses that the tires are slipping. So you have to let off and hit it again. This system on this car really was stupid as it only ran the tire for about 2 seconds.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Leave it in the driveway and jump on the sled!
Problem solved and be at work early!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I'm guessing the corolla had better tires than your truck.....swap the car tires for the truck tires problem #2 solved :p

Top Bottom