Tether Wiring

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So, I bought a tether switch to install on my 1998 VMax 700 XTC-P. It's a normally open switch. So I wanted to wire it into the kill switch. So if the kill switch is normally open in run position, I could just wire the tether in parallel with it which would ground it out, same as the kill button. If the kill button is normally closed, I could wire the tether in series so that the tether would break the circuit. Anyway, what I need to know is what the 3 wires from the kill switch are. 2 makes sense to me, but 3?!? Or maybe I could do the same thing to the key switch. Anyone have a wiring diagram? The three wires from the kill switch are black/white, black/yellow, and brown. Wiring diagram would be super helpful! Thanks!

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. Here is how to do it. I figured it out today. The black with white tracer is one wire and the brown is the other. On the handle bar side of the plug under the bar pad, the brown wire turns to black. I spliced into the other side of the plug, so that if the kill button needed to be replaced, I wouldn't have to re-wire the tether. To figure out which ones, I used my ohm meter to see what wires ran the kill button switch. When those were figured, I just spliced into them, as the tether I have is a normally open switch, just like the kill button on the handlebars. So now when the kill button is depressed, the engine dies, also when the tether is pulled, the engine dies, and the key still works. Easy-peasy!
I thought that the TORS was tied into the kill button, but the kill button has two of its own wires, just tied into the same plug as the TORS wire. Hope this helps everyone.

Top Bottom