Tether question?

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the arctic cat tether replace the key? Where my key goes in on my sled has come apart and does not want to back together. So rather than get a new one was thinking of installing a tether. So can I take the key assembly out and just run a tether?

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Curtis I don't know the answer to your question for sure but the tether on my 10 M8 plugs in and the harness from the key piggy backs onto it. I have a spare ignition with the key from my old M7 that I no longer need. If your in the Edmonton area in the near future you are welcome to have it. I usually get home from work around 6 if your interested.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will let you know.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the arctic cat tether replace the key? Where my key goes in on my sled has come apart and does not want to back together. So rather than get a new one was thinking of installing a tether. So can I take the key assembly out and just run a tether?

Nope it doesn't replace the key, you still need one. The tether just goes inline behind the heat shield between the tank and the steering post.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope it doesn't replace the key, you still need one. The tether just goes inline behind the heat shield between the tank and the steering post.

Sure it can. Cat tethers and keys are both normally open and run in parallel. Just unplug and remove the keyswitch and connect the tether.

Iamcatman

Reaction score
I did mine super easy. the tether goes in line with the key. it is a normally open circuit. if you switch it off, it turns the sled off (basically shorts out) by cutting either wire the key will not work. I just cut my two key wires and put spade connectors on each end. when I'm using the tether, I connect the tether. if not, i just plug the key wires back in.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup just tapped my tether into the 2 wires off the back of the key tumbler works tip top

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure it can. Cat tethers and keys are both normally open and run in parallel. Just unplug and remove the keyswitch and connect the tether.

Sorry I thought they were ran in series on the same circuit, I didn't look when I installed mine, I just plugged it in. There you go niner!

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

exactly what he said. Its the same wires, doesnt matter if they end in a keyswitch or in a tether. .

Top Bottom