Telus Optik T.V.?

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been looking at Telus Optik T.V. and high speed net for the new place. Price seems pretty good, 5HD boxes, 1HD PVR, 200 or so channels and "High Speed" (15mb/s) internet for $59/month for 6 months, $99/month thereafter. Any experience or opinions? The only drawback is the contract (3 yrs) but all the hardware and install is free.

79TXL

Reaction score
I have the HD PVR and 1 regular box. High speed, land line and unlimited long distance on mine for $200/month. Only thing I don't have is the movie channels. Have had it since November 2009 and it has been graet so far.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My latest promotion was $15/month for the TV and $15/month for the High Speed. Yes, the 3 year contract wasn't great and the penalty was expensive.

I'm staying with Shaw and will phone them and ask them what they will doo for me to keep as a customer......

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
opt out of the stupid contract, thats what i did, i just pay full price, but i have extra leverage when ch!t goes wrong... fix this or i'm cancelling right fawking now
that gets their attention

but i havent had much luck with this system, its been broken every time i get home from a turnaround and its really pissing me off, though my buddy has never had any problems

Last edited by a moderator:

79TXL

Reaction score
I didn't sign a contract either, costs a little more but I can tell them to come and pick it up if they piss me off.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't sign a contract either, costs a little more but I can tell them to come and pick it up if they piss me off.

ditto.... the extra cost far outweighs the price of the contract
and the freedom is great

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grind them on the price. Also if you sign a contract tell them you want something, a laptop, x-box (can be used as a reciever), or something like that. They will work with you, we got a sweet deal but took some of bitching and whining. But Optic is new here and they are trying to get/keep customers. As for the service, it has been awesome, installer was a dick, but otherwise good. PVR anywere is a nice feature. The internet is fast, and good wireless speed. Overall happy with it, kinda rough first month or two but good now.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grind them on the price. Also if you sign a contract tell them you want something, a laptop, x-box (can be used as a reciever), or something like that. They will work with you, we got a sweet deal but took some of bitching and whining. But Optic is new here and they are trying to get/keep customers. As for the service, it has been awesome, installer was a dick, but otherwise good. PVR anywere is a nice feature. The internet is fast, and good wireless speed. Overall happy with it, kinda rough first month or two but good now.

wireless speeds all depend on your hardware.. thats about it
get a wireless N router, its that fastest to date

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with telus. Only reason i switched was because of no contract. even with the big discounts i would not have switched if they wanted a contract.

for me the difference between telus and shaw is night and day. i was with shaw for 3 years prior to November 2010. telus offered me 100 more channels same high speed Internet and lower quality phone and 2 pvr boxes for 60 a mouth cheaper then shaw even after the first year promo it will be 25 a month cheaper(with shaw all i had was basic digital cable no pvr) when i called shaw to see what they would do to keep me they said they could give me 2 pvr boxes for an extra 25 per month and take away features on my phone to make it cheaper(basically go f-yourself) even after 3 years they did nothing at all to try to keep me.

every time i call telus the first words out of the telus Representative's mouth(after i tell them the problem) "lets see what we can do to correct the situation, oh and by the way I'm going to credit your account $32.50 for the inconvenience" this has happened 3 times in the last 5-6 months:)

I'm very satisfied with switching to telus.

just remember when you do switch watch your bill closely for the first few months they WILL screw it up. at least they did with mine and the sister in laws

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with telus. Only reason i switched was because of no contract. even with the big discounts i would not have switched if they wanted a contract.

for me the difference between telus and shaw is night and day. i was with shaw for 3 years prior to November 2010. telus offered me 100 more channels same high speed Internet and lower quality phone and 2 pvr boxes for 60 a mouth cheaper then shaw even after the first year promo it will be 25 a month cheaper(with shaw all i had was basic digital cable no pvr) when i called shaw to see what they would do to keep me they said they could give me 2 pvr boxes for an extra 25 per month and take away features on my phone to make it cheaper(basically go f-yourself) even after 3 years they did nothing at all to try to keep me.

every time i call telus the first words out of the telus Representative's mouth(after i tell them the problem) "lets see what we can do to correct the situation, oh and by the way I'm going to credit your account $32.50 for the inconvenience" this has happened 3 times in the last 5-6 months:)

I'm very satisfied with switching to telus.

just remember when you do switch watch your bill closely for the first few months they WILL screw it up. at least they did with mine and the sister in laws
WTF.. i NEVER get that... and i always have problem... my PVR box hasnt worked for over a month
and i pay over 160 for tv+webzzzz how the hell did you get such a good deal....
next time i am calling (in 2 weeks when i get home) i am FLIPPING OUT demanding a manager and so on and so forth

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was on bells old packages, don't get me wrong bell is great. But the old packages are ending in april. So i am switching to telus. Now you can get either optiks or satelite which is bell. I will let you know april 15th how optiks tv is. I have heard good and bad.

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had Telus Optik / Internet Ifor a few of months now. Overall happy with it :d. As stated get a Wireless N router , web access speed is improved from internet. One gripe about the TV which may or may not effect some people is the number of users. We have one PVR and two additional boxes, with one being an XBox.( FYI you require a min. 250 Gg Internal hard drive to enable Optik TV to work on an XBox). Only two HD signals, and one digital signal can be used at one time. For example if two people are watcing different shows in HD, the third person can only watch non HD programming :mad:. If you are recording a HD program, only one other HD signal can be accessed. Depends on the size of your family, or number of roomates, if this becomes a factor I guess. One cool thing is accessing programming from your Smartphone after you download the app. You can check the guide, and program the PVR remotely. This can come in handy, and it works :). As commented by Mallard, check your bill. It can get confusing as they charge you for this, credit you back for that. It becomes a mess to figure out. My two pennies.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with optik tv, it is less money. The hd channels are clear the regular channels are not as clear as bell. Shaw sucks in my opinion i had them for years.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
WTF.. i NEVER get that... and i always have problem... my PVR box hasnt worked for over a month
and i pay over 160 for tv+webzzzz how the hell did you get such a good deal....
next time i am calling (in 2 weeks when i get home) i am FLIPPING OUT demanding a manager and so on and so forth

want to get bad service? Flip out and demand a manager, seriously worst way to get better service in the world.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have TELUS internet/phone, Bell satellite, my service is suppose to change to Optik 15mb the end of this month.

So we'll see how it goes.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently Telus has taken to bribing town officials. For every person in town that gets a Telus TV contract (not sure the length, someone said 3 year) Telus will donate $100.00 to the town for park improvements. The mayor was in the paper saying what a great package it was.

Top Bottom