Technologist vs Engineer

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am in my second year of University, and taking Electrical Engineering. Electrical was definitely not my first choice, i much rather would have taken civil, mechanical or petroleum. I'm really starting to consider the idea of ditching the degree, and going for the Petroleum Engineering Technologist program at nait, for a few reasons. First off, so far i have learned nothing relative to real life and it's been almost a year and a half. Second, it seems like with the degree program you learn so much about nothing, where as with the technologist program you learn more applicable things and are not as interested in the real far fetched ideas and theories. Thirdly, even if i do get a degree, it will be in electrical engineering, and i will most likely be just going back to grande prairie and doing oilfield related work. I do not have a desire to live in the city and work in an office, at least not for quite a while.

anyways if anyone has any advice or has taken one program or the other, let me know. open to suggestions. until then, ill be studying circuit diagrams, Boolean algebra, telescoping series, multiplexers and the solubility of material. :rolleyes:

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am in my second year of University, and taking Electrical Engineering. Electrical was definitely not my first choice, i much rather would have taken civil, mechanical or petroleum. I'm really starting to consider the idea of ditching the degree, and going for the Petroleum Engineering Technologist program at nait, for a few reasons. First off, so far i have learned nothing relative to real life and it's been almost a year and a half. Second, it seems like with the degree program you learn so much about nothing, where as with the technologist program you learn more applicable things and are not as interested in the real far fetched ideas and theories. Thirdly, even if i do get a degree, it will be in electrical engineering, and i will most likely be just going back to grande prairie and doing oilfield related work. I do not have a desire to live in the city and work in an office, at least not for quite a while.

anyways if anyone has any advice or has taken one program or the other, let me know. open to suggestions. until then, ill be studying circuit diagrams, Boolean algebra, telescoping series, multiplexers and the solubility of material. :rolleyes:

Dude i would do the same if i were you... Ive been told that engineering degrees is not as hands on... Its more learning on how to make the world a better place and learning new learning techniques and how to be a boss and ch!t like tht... Go pet chem...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i have friends making good coin as petro chemical techs. but being an engineer means you are the boss eventually and make 3x as much coin in the future.

just my opinion.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i know i know. the thing is when im done school i want to know how to do something. not get to my job and have another 2 years of simple learning. I would hate to throw away this opertunity of getting a degree, yet i would also be not to impressed knowing i could have done the same job with half the amount of hassel with school.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a bonus to the Eng degree, you get to then spend 4 years working before you can call yourself an Eng. Also great is the lack of overtime pay.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try the Co-op program if it is still available. Kind of the best of both worlds. You get hands on experience and make some money.
Employers get to check you out and will likely offer you employment at the program end. I mentored several people in this program
and it worked great.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not change now and throw away the 2 years you have invested, stick it out and get the degree. If you're not happy then go back to Nait, you may get a bunch of credits from your degree.

Maxwell is right, you may not make as much right out of school but after 10 years you will be waaay ahead.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You gotta look at the big picture! In general, with the Engineering degree you will make more money, have more time off, and have a great possibility for advancement. But the secret is to be a good engineer! Who goes golfing in the early afternoon? The engineer or the technician? Don't worry about the overtime, most of them get well paid for overtime.

Saying that, there are a lot of chitty engineers that all they do is drafting and some supervision. They don't make a lot of money and don't have a lot of holidays. They are not the boss!

Technicians on the other hand have to really work their way to the top and the best solution to the money and holidays is to go to the private sector and start your own business when you finish school and have some years of experience. It will be a struggle for the beginning years but if the business is good you will be rewarded.

Good luck with your choice.

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man finish ur degree and and go into electrical technician and get double ticketed like my grandfather and go out there making 80$/hr programing pads...

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far guys, really appreciate it. Guess I'll stick er out for a little while yet.

Burns

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far guys, really appreciate it. Guess I'll stick er out for a little while yet.
If you really want a different type of engineering transfer at the end of the year. Most 2nd yr courses are common across the board and worst cas scenario is you spend an extra semester at school with a light course load - could actually be fun. You can get as technical as you like with a engineering degree but the tech degree will have limitations depending on the company you work for. You've got two years in and you will like spend 1-2 more to get a tech degree - finish it out. I highly recommend switching if you're not happy in electrical. Nothing sucks more than getting up in the morning and saying I wish I would've...

martincc

Reaction score
As an engineer myself I'd recommend to stick it out. At the end of 4 years, throw away your books and loose the "I’m an engineer, I know all attitude" they teach you. You'll quickly see you know nothing, what you learned in school is useless and likely start at the bottom being pissed that an 18yr old roughneck is making 3x as much and having consultants tell you that iron ring is just a gauge ring for an a-hole! Degree is just a piece of paper but gives you a foot in the door and opens opportunities. I stated in the field for $34,000 out of school driving trucks, a few years later I work in Calgary as a comp. eng/sup, making very good money (mid 100's with bonus and options), with evenings/weekends at home with nearly 6 weeks of vacation. I work with techs, engineers and guys who haven’t completed high school all doing the same job. If you're good, the degree gets you a little more money and moves you much faster to the same role vs. others with out. If you're respectful, realistic and learn what you can from everyone along the way you can move fast and gain more responsibility. That’s been my experience in drilling/completions world anyhow.. degree is more money and opportunity to advance later on vs tech. That being said... if you're the sterotypical terriable know all engineer the degree is not going to get you anywhere... and I know a lot of techs and guys with no post secondary education at all that have done very well in this industry with street smarts.

Last edited:

zeeberg7

Reaction score
From a Technologist to a Engineer. Stay with your engineering. The prictical learning at NAIT was great, but alot of the classroom design stuff that we did was exactly like University engineering. you are better off to get your degree, the pratical side will come with experience later on.

FYI, Engineers make alot more than Technologists. Meaning bigger badder sleds and quads in your future than mine!!

good luck!

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hey let me know how it is, im looking into this exact trade

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this was not your 1st choice and you would have preferred something else, why the heck are you in the program?
I would think it's hard to get up in the morning if all you have to look forward to is being done work for the day.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am an engineering tech. The engineering at the firm I work at are mechanical/ structural. As a tech I fully design and 3d model the project, being from a lifting device for something to go down a mine shaft, to mezzanines in seed elevators, ROPS on underground vehicles, jib cranes, bridge cranes, basically everything. I also model the skeletons of the assemblies for the engineering software and the engineers review it and tell me to up member sizes, add gussets and such. I like the modeling and using sketches and photos to create whats on site or what will be on site and see it really happen....I can do my own engineering eventually if I want to other that will never become a professional engineer to sign my own drawings. The engineers make a bit more than techs other than once they get the professional engineering and once you get it you have allot of liability as well as your company paying for the insurance. So saying all that, I find my job allot more fun, I have less pressure and make almost as much........

Coldone

Reaction score
Well... you'd be looking at another couple of years at a tech school.. or a couple more years to get the P.Eng.. maths pretty simple make more money and be the techs boss.. Stick to the Engineering..

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am an engineering tech. The engineering at the firm I work at are mechanical/ structural. As a tech I fully design and 3d model the project, being from a lifting device for something to go down a mine shaft, to mezzanines in seed elevators, ROPS on underground vehicles, jib cranes, bridge cranes, basically everything. I also model the skeletons of the assemblies for the engineering software and the engineers review it and tell me to up member sizes, add gussets and such. I like the modeling and using sketches and photos to create whats on site or what will be on site and see it really happen....I can do my own engineering eventually if I want to other that will never become a professional engineer to sign my own drawings. The engineers make a bit more than techs other than once they get the professional engineering and once you get it you have allot of liability as well as your company paying for the insurance. So saying all that, I find my job allot more fun, I have less pressure and make almost as much........

sounds good, whats the company called?

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this was not your 1st choice and you would have preferred something else, why the heck are you in the program?
I would think it's hard to get up in the morning if all you have to look forward to is being done work for the day.

What type of engineering you get into greatly depends on how competitive your marks are. You submit a list of your top ten desired disciplines (mechanical, civil, electrical etc). The university only has so many spots for each discipline so they take the 100 people(or however many people they have room for) with the top marks that are requesting that discipline. needless to say, mechanical and civil are the most popular disciplines, therefore the average to get accepted into them is significantly higher than another type of engineering in less demand (ie electrical, computer etc).

anyways, thanks for the advice guys. only a month left in this term.. looking like im staying with this program. sounds like it gets a bit easier after this year ;)

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jobs a plenty for the engineer field.

Finish what ya started and then decide what direction you want to go after your done. Easy to step down with an education but hard to step up when you don't have it.

Oh and if you decide to be an engineer keep your sense of humour, don't think your better than everyone else because your educated, talk to people not down to people, be HANDS ON when your the leader cause that's what a leader does.......

Top Bottom