Tears in seat

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im posting for my brother who has a new 850 with about 400km. I noticed a small seat horseshoe rip dead center in the top fabric about the diameter of a pencil and 2 very small slits. Just wondering if anyone else if having issues with the seat fabric.

I know i saw a rental sled with 1400km with the same horseshoe tear about the size of a pencil dead center of the seat this weekend.

I borrowed his sled for the weekend and now im wondering if i owe him a new seat or if this is warranty. My 14 XM has 3300km and i have worn the same gear its entire life with no seat rips at all.

I know for a fact that doo is testing a new seat for 2018, perhaps this is why and the seat is to soft for the fabric to stretch causing rips.

let me know

thanks

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting warranty on that. I had some boots one time that did what sounds like the same thing to a boss seat on my old King Cat. Every couple rides there would be a new pea-sized hole. I couldn't figure out how they were doing it. I squeezed a bit of black silicone into the holes, enough that it would spread out about loonie size underneath, to seal it up. Worked good.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a vinyl seat repair kit from Napa or CT. I have seats from 09 that are in way better condition than 3 year old seats on XM. The material and thread they use now is terrible.

57Fairlane

Reaction score
Website
www.distinctiveupholstery.ca
Unfortunately Vinyl does not get flaws like what your describing, speaking from 12yrs of running a upholstery/canvas shop. U shape rip is usually from being snagged and pulled on, little slits are pretty self explanatory. There's nothing in the "frame work" of the 850 seat either that would cause that to blow out from underneath. Usually something on peoples boots causes stuff like this. Having seen my 850 seat off, wouldn't take more then 20 min to reskin one, if your brothers fussy just get a new skin from brp and get a decent shop to recover it.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like Goop black automotive for these repairs over silicone. I use it for hood/body panel repairs, as liquid electrical tape, repairs in snow pants, repairs in sled covers etc.

Good stuff.

Top Bottom