Take a course

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends of Ryan.
But how many more have to die. I spent thousands to fix my sled up, New head, light weight stuff, longer track to make lighter and better. I ride 03 zx summit. Have down to 490 or 500 lbs. I wanted to buy some big horse power sled to climb higher to. But then a friend show me the trees and now thats 85% of our riding. Its much harder to drop down and then try to get back up through the trees than to just go straight p a hill. Must people can do it. The richer go higher. To play in the trees takes skill to handle and throw that light sled around.
This passed weekend we took ZacsTracs course and it open our eyes. We found out how to check snow strenght and what will let go. One other thing that we found ut is that we didn't know how to use or beacon as good as thought. There were people who could not find omeone if they had to.
I have an avy pack which cost 1000 This course only cost 400 and is more help to me than that pack. People spend your money on what going to save you not kill you. Power is the evil in all of us. I hope I did not offend but open up some eyes.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zac's Tracs is one of the best things you can spend a little money on! It cost about the same as my exhaust can and will help you make safe choices and not have to use that 1000 dollar air bag.

please listen to one thing
Unless you practice A LOT with your beacon, you will take MUCH LONGER THAN YOU THINK to find your friends in a pressure situation. Don't worry about looking like a dummy the first few times in practice, suck it up and whip it out for a quick search now and then.

You may have had your old Pieps or SOS beacon for years, but can you find one beacon in 2 minutes, and find two in under 5? Try holding your breath that long.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends of Ryan.
But how many more have to die. I spent thousands to fix my sled up, New head, light weight stuff, longer track to make lighter and better. I ride 03 zx summit. Have down to 490 or 500 lbs. I wanted to buy some big horse power sled to climb higher to. But then a friend show me the trees and now thats 85% of our riding. Its much harder to drop down and then try to get back up through the trees than to just go straight p a hill. Must people can do it. The richer go higher. To play in the trees takes skill to handle and throw that light sled around.
This passed weekend we took ZacsTracs course and it open our eyes. We found out how to check snow strenght and what will let go. One other thing that we found ut is that we didn't know how to use or beacon as good as thought. There were people who could not find omeone if they had to.
I have an avy pack which cost 1000 This course only cost 400 and is more help to me than that pack. People spend your money on what going to save you not kill you. Power is the evil in all of us. I hope I did not offend but open up some eyes.

Pete great post - My friends and I also took part in the Zacstracs AST 1 course this past week and in Clemina on Saturday and it was the best $$$$ i have ever spent. I lost my taste for highmarking a few years ago because I saw that it was too expensive.(I was lucky I didn't crash very bad but several of my buddies did) but now I see the "other" cost - the greater cost potential for loss of life. I enjoy the mountains, the challenges the comradary but after the course and the accident this weekend and a person from my hometown that died in the Chetwyn avalanche - I will play in the meadows and trees and play the safe and shallow slopes. The course definately has shown me that I had times of poor judgement in my decade of mountian riding. God bless Ryan and his family and friends and God bless Harold (Hal) and his family and friends.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Zar, you really put it into perspective. Thanks Lori and gang with Zacstrac's for really opening my eyes to the dangers of mountian sledding!. The lessons learned this past weekend will last a lifetime.

polcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took the course too this sunday and came away alot more confident that i could understand the conditions and terrain and know when and where to go and when to just stay home and ride.Well worth the money.Cheers to Lori and Randy for putting on a fun and informative course.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great reviews of the Zacstracs course. For anyone else interested the G.P. Zacstracs course is Feb 4th and 5th with field classses at Kakwa with your choice of 7th 8th or 9th. register online at ZacsTracs or get ahold of me at bryon.nkc@xplornet.com or call me at 780-933-1599

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I,m already registered with budlite.After this course the first thing I,m doing is teaching my 10 year son the stuff I learned so when he get older he has the knowledge.

Top Bottom