Taiga reservation waiting room

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only travel in the enclosed or on the 2 place with covers anyways.. just had to get me some of the maxwell ball bustin!

Never said you need a cover. Dont really care what you do with your sled. Just think your some kind of special if you dont cover your 20k Investment LOL

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As an industrial electrician I can say without any reservations that a new electric motor should run under any temperature conditions for 10 years 16 hours a day 5 days a week.
I have seen completely buried in sawdust motors run in 40 deg c ambient temp no problem. Also most motors run at a higher load than you would ever put a gas engine to. Think about an industrial blower running at 80% load 16 hours a day and lasting for many years with no maintenance. Just try running your 2 stroke 150 hp engine at 120 hp for 16 hours, I really don't think it could run more than a couple of days, I would not be surprised if it couldn't make a day.

No maintenance,can’t be a TEFC motor than.
A electric motors weak point is its bearings. Im not talking about oil flooded journal bearings.
The big difference is, a electric motor is constant torque. Thats where the longevity is from. It does not have the vibration of a reciprocating engine.
Taiga has alot of proving to do with the claims they are making. No claims on how long the battery will last at -10 in 4 feet of fresh.
Trail sled? Sign me up, I think it would be a riot around home.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much energy is a 28kWh pack?
33 kWh is 1 gallon of gasoline.
8.9 KWh is 1 litre of gasoline.
28kWh battery is equal to 3.146 litres of gasoline.

Arctic cat 800 holds 44.3L or 394 kWh.
Skidoo 850 holds 36L or 320 kWh.
Polaris 850 is 43.5L or 387 kWh.

So we can say the taiga has 8.7% of the energy as a skidoo mountain sled.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much energy is a 28kWh pack?
33 kWh is 1 gallon of gasoline.
8.9 KWh is 1 litre of gasoline.
28kWh battery is equal to 3.146 litres of gasoline.

Arctic cat 800 holds 44.3L or 394 kWh.
Skidoo 850 holds 36L or 320 kWh.
Polaris 850 is 43.5L or 387 kWh.

So we can say the taiga has 8.7% of the energy as a skidoo mountain sled.

Anyone know the efficiency of the modern two stroke engine vs the electric motors used in today's EV's?

I believe most gasoline engines are 20% thermally efficient.

Last edited:

longtrack 156

Reaction score
Have been an electrician for 40 years, have worked with chip & saw machines, (CNS), each machine has two side heads, 100 + horsepower ea, TEFC motors, 20 years in a mill with two CNS, 20 years with one CNS, have never changed a CNS side head motor, the motors are on about a 60 deg slope, hard on bearings, Total run time 16 hours per day, would be approx 3,840,000 hours without a failure, no oil bath, just normal greased bearings.

No maintenance,can’t be a TEFC motor than.
A electric motors weak point is its bearings. Im not talking about oil flooded journal bearings.
The big difference is, a electric motor is constant torque. Thats where the longevity is from. It does not have the vibration of a reciprocating engine.
Taiga has alot of proving to do with the claims they are making. No claims on how long the battery will last at -10 in 4 feet of fresh.
Trail sled? Sign me up, I think it would be a riot around home.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the efficiency of the modern two stroke engine vs the electric motors used in today's EV's?

Depends on the quality. Most high efficiency motors are 96, 98% efficient.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If someone can tell me how many km to a tank on each brand I’ll convert it to wh/km. If anyone knows what a full tank will get you on a 4 foot pow day on each brand?

For my cat it is about 4 mpg in deep powder.
1.65km/L
0.6L/km
5340 wh/km or 5.34 kWh per km
If the taiga was equal efficiency to the cat its range would be 5.24km on a full charge.

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Johny,

Is the sled the same one that Carter brought the crew up Boulder a few years ago.
That electric sled was pretty wild.
Strange not hearing the engine and exhaust.

Took off like a rped ape though out of the hole.
That was on hard packed though.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Johny,

Is the sled the same one that Carter brought the crew up Boulder a few years ago.
That electric sled was pretty wild.
Strange not hearing the engine and exhaust.

Took off like a rped ape though out of the hole.
That was on hard packed though.

Yeah that was an early prototype. I think it had the single shock on the front suspension.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the argument of the electric motor reliability vs. the two stroke engine reliability, I would say that most of the failures on a two stroke are NOT the crank bearings on the rotating assembly. That would be the same as the bearings on the rotating assembly of the electric motor, would it not?

And also, was there not a study done for caribou protection and what is driving them out of the certain areas, where it wasn't snowmobiles, but was heli-skiers? I remember reading that the skiers were too silent and spooking the living crap out of the unsuspecting caribou when the skiers pop out of the trees, right on top of them. And the "whumping" of the chopper that brought them up to the top, was also driving the caribou out. I also read that the caribou didn't care too much about the sledders. And we all know that the wolves don't climb to the same altitude that the caribou are at.

Guess what I'm asking is, are the tree huggers going to hate or love the electric sleds? I would say love it, with no emissions. Well, until I charge it with coal fire produced electricity.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the argument of the electric motor reliability vs. the two stroke engine reliability, I would say that most of the failures on a two stroke are NOT the crank bearings on the rotating assembly. That would be the same as the bearings on the rotating assembly of the electric motor, would it not?

And also, was there not a study done for caribou protection and what is driving them out of the certain areas, where it wasn't snowmobiles, but was heli-skiers? I remember reading that the skiers were too silent and spooking the living crap out of the unsuspecting caribou when the skiers pop out of the trees, right on top of them. And the "whumping" of the chopper that brought them up to the top, was also driving the caribou out. I also read that the caribou didn't care too much about the sledders. And we all know that the wolves don't climb to the same altitude that the caribou are at.

Guess what I'm asking is, are the tree huggers going to hate or love the electric sleds? I would say love it, with no emissions. Well, until I charge it with coal fire produced electricity.

I used to co-own the Property at the base of Caribou Basin. Our group saw the Caribou on 5 or 6 occasions over the years...they were never afraid of us and we always gave them lots of room if they were around. One time we saw them in the second basin...we stopped when we saw them...they stopped when they saw us, they looked at us for a minute or so and then started walking towards us. We moved well off of their direction of travel and they kept on trucking.

We didn’t faze them a bit.

Last edited:

gopherchoker

Reaction score
From what little I know about EV’s I doubt the motor is gonna be the issue. It’s probably gonna be the battery and the drivers. As long as you keep the motor cool and lubed it should take the abuse. How a battery is going to take the high discharge rates of mountain use we will see. My guess is if you can burn 40l of fuel in 70 km on a normal sled you will only get 25-35 km out of a charge on the electric one if it weighs what it claims. With how battery tec is now to complete with a 800 class sled for offtrail / breaking trail range it would have to weigh way more due to the needed battery power

Top Bottom