Taiga reservation waiting room

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is that problem solved? Guys have to go out of their way to pack a generator because a buddy purposely chose to ride a electric sled?
Why cant he tow his own generator than. Kinda defeated the purpose of a electric sled isnt it?
I think the tech is way to early to be reliable, especially in the winter.

Im all for ebikes and such, I think they would be alot of fun, especially when camping.
just to show how good the 850 is .. my post was meant as a joke. Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's all good

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride them in a national park?
I'm in.

No chance in hell, the parks people would rather humans were kept completely out of the park. Hell they forced the ski areas to sign new leases that basically force them to give Parks Canada all of their facilities when they expire, no prize for guessing that they intend to close them down at that time.

And the greens will just find a different reason that sleds shouldn’t be there. Disturbing the jackrabbits or something.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The track clips rubbing on the sliders could be a bit too noisy for some.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe they could make some super quite skid where track rides on bogey wheels instead of the sliders

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No chance in hell, the parks people would rather humans were kept completely out of the park. Hell they forced the ski areas to sign new leases that basically force them to give Parks Canada all of their facilities when they expire, no prize for guessing that they intend to close them down at that time.

And the greens will just find a different reason that sleds shouldn’t be there. Disturbing the jackrabbits or something.

They'll probably b!tch that the sound a glorified cordless drill disturbs the mating ritual of the jackrabbit, meanwhile they're getting dropped off on the mountain via helicopter just down the valley from the skihill...

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Most seem to be pretty bullet proof.

They can be, Its a mechanical part with bearings in it. Rebearing’ed and replaced my fair share of electric motors.
Loose/broken rotor bars are another issue, ground faults

Nothing lasts forever.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can be, Its a mechanical part with bearings in it. Rebearing’ed and replaced my fair share of electric motors.
Loose/broken rotor bars are another issue, ground faults

Nothing lasts forever.

Nothing lasts forever, but id bet your average electric motor last many more hours then your average 2 stroke sled engine.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Nothing lasts forever, but id bet your average electric motor last many more hours then your average 2 stroke sled engine.

A thousand times better. Plant I worked at we had motor frames from the 60's still in service. They had been rewound and what not but an electric motor is way cheaper and more reliable to operate than an engine. And that's comparing it to industrial engines. A 8000rpm 2 stroke performance engine wouldn't even hold a candle to an industrial engine let a lone an electric motor.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A thousand times better. Plant I worked at we had motor frames from the 60's still in service. They had been rewound and what not but an electric motor is way cheaper and more reliable to operate than an engine. And that's comparing it to industrial engines. A 8000rpm 2 stroke performance engine wouldn't even hold a candle to an industrial engine let a lone an electric motor.

I also worked on engines that were first put online in the 60’s.
I had a brand new 600hp electric motor fail within two weeks, I have the old bearings in my office. Second one lasted another two weeks, just because of a poorly designed VFD drive.

My point was it does not matter what it is, it all has the potential to last a long time, or it can fail right away.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These motors probably sit in a building that is climate controlled. Now lets see them in the back country bouncing down a whooped up trail and climbing a 30 degree hill in 3ft of pow? Then down the road on a deck or open trailer in salt and slush. Bet they don't test for that.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but but but..... maxwell says we need covers. I don’t suppose you are going to tell me that one would go against his demands of covering their machine while in transport, are you?

These motors probably sit in a building that is climate controlled. Now lets see them in the back country bouncing down a whooped up trail and climbing a 30 degree hill in 3ft of pow? Then down the road on a deck or open trailer in salt and slush. Bet they don't test for that.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also worked on engines that were first put online in the 60’s.
I had a brand new 600hp electric motor fail within two weeks, I have the old bearings in my office. Second one lasted another two weeks, just because of a poorly designed VFD drive.

My point was it does not matter what it is, it all has the potential to last a long time, or it can fail right away.

Infant failure on the bathtub curve. The thing with processing facilities is a VFD/motor/pump setup are designed for a broad spectrum and usually need to be fine tuned to run in the conditions for each application. We installed a brand new lean burn 3512 and it was running like a top until the first power bump and the electrics shut off and the discharge head dropped and she tried to pull way to much load and surged and took out a turbo. Everything does have issues, but electric motors are by far the cheapest and have the best mean out there.

You can change a lot of motor bearings for the price of one head swing.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You would be amazed at what conditions motors run in. 40 below cold starts on brine pumps for underground salt caverns and anything else you can imagine.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but but but..... maxwell says we need covers. I don’t suppose you are going to tell me that one would go against his demands of covering their machine while in transport, are you?
My stuff stays in an enclosed trailer so not really concerned with that debate.

longtrack 156

Reaction score
As an industrial electrician I can say without any reservations that a new electric motor should run under any temperature conditions for 10 years 16 hours a day 5 days a week.
I have seen completely buried in sawdust motors run in 40 deg c ambient temp no problem. Also most motors run at a higher load than you would ever put a gas engine to. Think about an industrial blower running at 80% load 16 hours a day and lasting for many years with no maintenance. Just try running your 2 stroke 150 hp engine at 120 hp for 16 hours, I really don't think it could run more than a couple of days, I would not be surprised if it couldn't make a day.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Never said you need a cover. Dont really care what you do with your sled. Just think your some kind of special if you dont cover your 20k Investment LOL

Top Bottom