T3 174? Bigdeal !!!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I am not bashing or saying its not great that BRP brought out a stock sled like this. Its like it was the first sled that hit the snow with a 174 x 3 track.
The 174 has been on the snow for quite a bit in all brands.(extended case,7 tooth drivers and other mods)
Anyone out there ride one of these before they put $ down on one? (Most likely not)
For that matter ridden a sled with 174? It doesn't handle the same. Sorry. Jump from a 174 onto a 163 and check it out if you can.
The new T3 174 if it was so great why are we not seeing any out for test rides to convince possible buyers they are what they are saying. note: (do it now and it would suck as conditions are not needed for it)
Buyers have to take somebody else's word for it that they are the best thing since sliced bread. These folks that are telling everyone would say that if they didn't work.
Heck I have seen a guy that speaks all the time (rides a martins sled wrap xm lol )post in years past that a 3 inch wasn't the way to go. The xm with 163 x 2.5 was all that was needed. But now that BRP has one it will be the ****.
A few years ago looked at extended case verse 7 tooth (on XP) and some dam good riders had a different thought to extended case. Changed the handling for the negative and stick to 7 tooth. They had built and ridden both so new the difference and not trying to sell you extended case.
I have had 174's (3 inch and 2.5) for going on 5 seasons and have seen the differences (good and bad) and have a pretty good idea what they work like but fail to see the big deal.
Again not bashing . Good for BRP? Just fail to see the big deal.
Cheers :beer::beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay I am not bashing or saying its not great that BRP brought out a stock sled like this. Its like it was the first sled that hit the snow with a 174 x 3 track.
The 174 has been on the snow for quite a bit in all brands.(extended case,7 tooth drivers and other mods)
Anyone out there ride one of these before they put $ down on one? (Most likely not)
For that matter ridden a sled with 174? It doesn't handle the same. Sorry. Jump from a 174 onto a 163 and check it out if you can.
The new T3 174 if it was so great why are we not seeing any out for test rides to convince possible buyers they are what they are saying. note: (do it now and it would suck as conditions are not needed for it)
Buyers have to take somebody else's word for it that they are the best thing since sliced bread. These folks that are telling everyone would say that if they didn't work.
Heck I have seen a guy that speaks all the time (rides a martins sled wrap xm lol )post in years past that a 3 inch wasn't the way to go. The xm with 163 x 2.5 was all that was needed. But now that BRP has one it will be the ****.
A few years ago looked at extended case verse 7 tooth (on XP) and some dam good riders had a different thought to extended case. Changed the handling for the negative and stick to 7 tooth. They had built and ridden both so new the difference and not trying to sell you extended case.
I have had 174's (3 inch and 2.5) for going on 5 seasons and have seen the differences (good and bad) and have a pretty good idea what they work like but fail to see the big deal.

I still to this day stand by my statement that a 3" camo extreme on a stock sled with 7 tooth avid drivers is not the way to go I've had one and spent much of my winter on one for the last 3 years. And there is a slight inprovment but what I told people was that it's not worth the 2000$ it costs to do. Now that we have a factory option that's only costing the consumer 500$ it's a different story. But what your not realizing is how much different this T3 machine is. Here's the reasons why this machine differs from slapping a 3" track on a stock sled.

#1 - on the origional camo extreme 3" the paddles were full 16" width and we were finding ltd of vibration and rubbing causing possible power loss. Skidoo has corrected this by insetting the paddles 1/4 inch from the outside. The new camo extreme paddles are inset over half an inch on each side which is too much IMO.

#2- do I beleive the hydraulic effect on a snowmobile? Not really. But this extra 25mm of clearance around the drivers doesn't hurt and I know it doesn't hurt because all of the 3" sleds I've built with 7 tooth drivers had massive black rub marks on the top of the tunnel.

#3 - the camo extreme 3" was a heavy track and it was noticeable. Sleds didn't feel quite as snappy trying to get that track spinning. This new 3" by skidoo is much lighter. In fact it weighs the same as a 163x2.5. This is one of the most important factors in the performance of the T3.

# 4 - the sled as a whole is 16 lbs lighter. Weighs the same as the 163 2014.

#5 - drivers are not hexagonal they are round. This reduces the huge vibrations we were getting with the 3" camo extreme and should free up some track speed. The avid drivers make your teeth want to fall out. Another reason why I liked the 2.5 over the 3 was for this reason.

#6 proper clutching. I ran factory clutching on all 3" sleds I built and knew something needed tweaking but never got around with it. Brp will have this sleds clutching calibrated for this combination.

More on this later I have to go back to work and this iPhone makes me want to shoot my face typing this much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Point 3 is incorrect. It is the same track basically. The 174 version is only 2.39lbs lighter than the origional camo 174. This is from the minor porting and removing the inner nubs, as well the tack clips doo likes to use.

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still to this day stand by my statement that a 3" camo extreme on a stock sled with 7 tooth avid drivers is not the way to go I've had one and spent much of my winter on one for the last 3 years. And there is a slight inprovment but what I told people was that it's not worth the 2000$ it costs to do. Now that we have a factory option that's only costing the consumer 500$ it's a different story. But what your not realizing is how much different this T3 machine is. Here's the reasons why this machine differs from slapping a 3" track on a stock sled.

#1 - on the origional camo extreme 3" the paddles were full 16" width and we were finding ltd of vibration and rubbing causing possible power loss. Skidoo has corrected this by insetting the paddles 1/4 inch from the outside. The new camo extreme paddles are inset over half an inch on each side which is too much IMO.

#2- do I beleive the hydraulic effect on a snowmobile? Not really. But this extra 25mm of clearance around the drivers doesn't hurt and I know it doesn't hurt because all of the 3" sleds I've built with 7 tooth drivers had massive black rub marks on the top of the tunnel.

#3 - the camo extreme 3" was a heavy track and it was noticeable. Sleds didn't feel quite as snappy trying to get that track spinning. This new 3" by skidoo is much lighter. In fact it weighs the same as a 163x2.5. This is one of the most important factors in the performance of the T3.

#5 - drivers are not hexagonal they are round. This reduces the huge vibrations we were getting with the 3" camo extreme and should free up some track speed. The avid drivers make your teeth want to fall out. Another reason why I liked the 2.5 over the 3 was for this reason.

#6 proper clutching. I ran factory clutching on all 3" sleds I built and knew something needed tweaking but never got around with it. Brp will have this sleds clutching calibrated for this combination.

More on this later I have to go back to work and this iPhone makes me want to shoot my face typing this much

Man get real. You have To be kidding. You are such a flamer. Admit you will buy whatever brp sells.

I agree it's a good deal you should too

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Point 3 is incorrect. It is the same track basically. The 174 version is only 2.39lbs lighter than the origional camo 174. This is from the minor porting and removing the inner nubs, as well the tack clips doo likes to use.

how do you know that? not saying your wrong just asking….

It isn't that big of a deal actually !!!I think a lot of 174 sleds will be sold to people that perhaps would be more pleased with the 163 2.5.The powder isn't gonna always be 4 ft deep but when it is the 174 will be appreciated !!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man get real. You have To be kidding. You are such a flamer. Admit you will buy whatever brp sells.

I agree it's a good deal you should too

What's your problem? I'm sorry brp has a cool product this year. I'm giving out some facts that I feel they addressed. I'm sorry for that

Reaction score
What's your problem? I'm sorry brp has a cool product this year. I'm giving out some facts that I feel they addressed. I'm sorry for that

Ya what's your problem. We're only on this forum to piss people off. you have to realize Maxwell and I have no life so we use the internet to make ourselves happy.

Its an exhilarating life

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great deal because you don't have to sink $4000+ into an already expensive sled and potentially still come away with a Micky mouse setup.

Like someone said, it's just an additional option and having more options from the factory is a good thing, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^
Agree if it all works as it should and your due for upgrade and want a 3 inch track.
But if you haven't tried it and are going off of someone said?
The only info seems out is from due hard Doo fans is what I am saying.
Maxwell made some good points but still?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Banned for what reason. I though this whole bashing thing was all we did on here??

As much as Maxwell hypes up Ski-Doo he does have a lot of knowledge and experience to back it up. Even users like LongHairedFreak can make meaningful contributions to threads its not all about just bashing everyone else.

And I'm pretty sure you must have another account to know as much about Maxwell as you do, but correct me if I'm wrong. And that is where the issue lies.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Agreed the 3" is a great track in the right conditions but on low snow conditions I did not have a advantage over the doo 2.5. I really do like the 174, ridden lots of xp's and pros with them they are a bit more to handle. The T3 package as a whole looks like it increases handling alot.
What really has my interest is the "t3" package minus the 3"! I like what im reading and from what I watched on you tube. Ive been tossing the idea around of ditching the 3" and putting a 2.5 in there, or maybe this is not my year to upgrade and wait and see what happens during the 2014/2015 season with these new sleds.

Lots of great points right here, But im wondering about that 25MM drop in the case with the 7t drivers, that combination should have a attack angle greater than a standard case with the 7t. Do you know if that is countered by having slightly shorter rails and the skid moved back to decrease that angle?

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed the 3" is a great track in the right conditions but on low snow conditions I did not have a advantage over the doo 2.5. I really do like the 174, ridden lots of xp's and pros with them they are a bit more to handle. The T3 package as a whole looks like it increases handling alot.
What really has my interest is the "t3" package minus the 3"! I like what im reading and from what I watched on you tube. Ive been tossing the idea around of ditching the 3" and putting a 2.5 in there, or maybe this is not my year to upgrade and wait and see what happens during the 2014/2015 season with these new sleds.

what guys would pay for that 3" you could do 8 tooth drivers and a 2.5" for free.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again guys it would just be nice to through a leg over the T3 ?
It sits higher and a lot of changes to a already good handling sled for what it is.
Is it that much better ? T3 or just marketing?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of peeps buy something out of a brochure or a picture online. I bet there are less than 50 % of people sit on the sled before they buy it. They go buy because there manufacturer says it will work. I have only test drove maybe 1 or 2 trucks out of 15 I have owned over the years. I don't feel like I made any poor decisions on those purchases. I dont think it matters to most people regardless of the brand. JMHO.

Top Bottom