Switching from epcor to enmax

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanna know the worst part of utilities though? Because I have a electric water heater, I didn't turn the gas on when I moved in last summer, until it got cold. Direct energy is trying to charge me back fees, roughly $40/month when ZERO gas is used. Plus a $100 re-connection fee when they came and shut it off without notice. As bad as Epcor is, they are a dream compared to direct energy. I have been fighting with them for 4 months now, they just say pay it or to bad we'll send it to collections. Gonna be a fight with them again this summer it will be a cold day in hell before I pay them $40/month for nothing......Still fighting with the collection agency on that one. Not the money it's the principal.....I told them they should of took out the meter if they have to charge fees for it to sit there......Didn't like it much!

I guess the only upside is they can't threaten you about turning off the gas. So at least you got time to dispute it.

Last edited:

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of switching to Direct Energy about 3 years ago...and got hosed !!!! Make sure you read the fine print before switching anything!!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of switching to Direct Energy about 3 years ago...and got hosed !!!! Make sure you read the fine print before switching anything!!!

now this is from a girl with all the toys. ya direct energy has a bad rep everywhere. but i thought you already full of gaz?

Last edited:

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Enmax available out in the country?My power bills are b.s.The one place I have has a transformer pole with the meter removed and the power line angles across my quarter and directly through the yard and I still get a bill for $40 a month with no power used at all!!My last bill at my main yard was over $1400 a month since last fall!Thank god it's been a warm winter that I didn't have to keep everything outside plugged in!We have just the important stuff plugged in outside and it's still high!The delivery charges on the bill are over $250,not sure where they get that number!Can't wait for another $3 on the bill for 30 years for the new line between Calgary and Edmonton!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya not surprised everyone hates them. They are such a joke half the people you talk to know nothing and can't speak English to save their life. Plus it's funny how they say it's impossible to have a error on a bill, they just say its correct they don't make errors so pay it or well send it to collections. I got hosed bad nearly $300 for 4 months of no gas usage. Plus they are such dahm liars which pisses me off a lot.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These 250+ power bills are absurd. I gotta figure out a way to go off grid economically. If anything just to shake of the leeches. Price of Nat.Gas. is so cheap right now you might almost be ahead to run a small gennie.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is Enmax available out in the country?My power bills are b.s.The one place I have has a transformer pole with the meter removed and the power line angles across my quarter and directly through the yard and I still get a bill for $40 a month with no power used at all!!My last bill at my main yard was over $1400 a month since last fall!Thank god it's been a warm winter that I didn't have to keep everything outside plugged in!We have just the important stuff plugged in outside and it's still high!The delivery charges on the bill are over $250,not sure where they get that number!Can't wait for another $3 on the bill for 30 years for the new line between Calgary and Edmonton!

Depends where you're at. If you look on your bill and get your site ID number Enmax will tell you if they can or not. Where im at I had no choice but to stick with the current REA. Current rates are cheap - only 7.5 cents but not looking forward to the REA stopping distribution and having to go with someone else and the rates being more than double.
In your situation with the line being in place but no usage I'm guessing all the cost is in service and distribution... if so there's not much you can do - Enmax or another provider will only change your usage costs. Very seldom is there more than one service provider per area.

OurDel

Reaction score
Actually good news for you, you are actually not locked in to a contract with ENMAX..... You are guaranteed 8 cents per kwh for 5 years but you can switch to the floating rate with 30 days notice and no penalties! If you look at the 100 year historical average electricity costs are between 7 and 8 cents. Since most of us aren't paying electric bills for 100 years 8 cents is a really good deal.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i'm with direct energy and our last bill was $650 for one month!!!! Power and gas but the "transmission" charges where $197, ridiculousness. I'm going to see if we can switch to Enmax.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone i confused with this system, its a shitty system but we are stuck with it. its more advantageous for large power users not home owners.

i was at a meeting yesterday and there was a billing error at a power plan in the province where the meter didnt read for 30 mins and they lost about $20 000, individual home power use is nothing in the larger picture

3 parts:

-generators (transalta, atco power, epcor, enmax)

they generate power and sell to the pool or auction bulk power to retailers

-retailer (direct energy, enmax easy max, epcors regulated rates)

these guys buy power in bulk and sell it back to you, that is the power you use

-power lines owners (atco electric, fortis, altalink, epcor, enmax)

yes epcor and enmax are in all three, that was their coice to do that. atco electric, fortis, epcor and enmax own the distribution lines (the small pwer lines along roadways and going to your house) and meters. that is the distribution cost of your bill, so when a tree hits a line they come out a turn your power back on. so without that you would be powerless for a very long time

the transmission portion of your bill. atco electric and altalink own the transmission lines they bring the power from the generating stations to substations, which is the backbone of the entire electrical system. with out these guys the generating stations would not beable to get their power to you.

the more power you use the higher the distribution/transmission charges, there are also flat rate charges that the retailer tack on to make more money. these charges are also dependant on population, more people per km of line the lower your charges are. ex. high level area the charges might be double or tripple your power usage, in edmonton it might only be half

the enmax easymax deal is a good one, like said before historicaly power wont go below $0.08 a kWh, just dont lock in their nat gas price they are offering $8 a gigajoule when the market price is only $2.75. power is going to be going up and up as there is more of a demand and less power producers, we hit 2 all time peaks in january 2012

if you want to offset your costs the way is called microgen, but in reality you will not recover your cost for solar panels windmills batteries in the time they need replacing

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a distribution cost tacked on to Enmax? Our power bill has been running around $550 since the hike in january and half is the usage the other half is distribution. This is through Direct energy.......thievin bastards.....

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya there will be those charges, there is no way to get away from those charges. think it of atco electric charging rent on the power lines and meter to your house

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The transmission and distribution charges on your bill have nothing to do with the retailer. These charges are calculated by the local distribution companies like ATCO Electric, ENMAX Power, Epcor Distribution, or Fortis Alberta. These charges are paid to the local distribution company by your retailer on your behalf. All the retailer does is flow through the charge to the customer with zero markup.

You will pay the same transmission and distribution charges regardless of who your retailer is. So going with ENMAX will not save you any money on these types of charges. The only charges that are retailer specific are commodity usage and billing and administration fees.

The reason why you get a bill even if you don't have any usage is due to transmission and distribution fees charges by the local distribution company and paid by your retailer. Most local distribution companies have T&D rates that have per day service charges that do not depend on usage because their is still a transformer, pole, and meter installed at your house. Those per day service charges are meant to collect the local distribution companies investment in the equipment installed for your ability to use power.

As for whether or not you can save money with ENMAX at 8 cents a KWh it all depends. For example in 2010 the Regulated Rate Option averaged about 7 cents/KWh while the 2011 rate averaged about 9.5 cent/KWh so it is anybody's guess what will happen in 2012. Its like the difference between a fixed and variable mortgage, you never really know where interest rates are going to go when you sign up. It really depends on a person's appetite for risk. If you want budget certainty then a contract might be the way to go, but this doesn't mean your getting the best rate in the long term.

A good website to check out is the Utilities Customer Advocate Utilities Consumer Advocate: Utilities Consumer Advocate Home which will explain in more detail what your bill is make up off.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how long before the tv and internet companies catch onto the power and gas scam about charging these fees that are set and say they can't control to screw over people? It's a hell of a scam! That are BS charges, everyone knows it. It's like the fuel companies saying we're going to charge $1.00L for gas and add on $0.10L for our trucks to deliver the gas, because they don't own the truck. Or internet/tv companies to say someone else owns the lines to the house and you need to pay rent on them.

There shouldn't be all these BS charges. The price for gas and power should be it, these fees should be in the set price.

Atco charges downright ROBBERY prices to install gas line in a new house, then they charge you maintenance fees for 50+ years. Shouldn't be both ways.

Last edited:

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now this is from a girl with all the toys. ya direct energy has a bad rep everywhere. but i thought you already full of gaz?

All the toys?!?!?!? Don't see me out sledding with you there crackadoo !!!! And besides...............being full of hot air...........I too don't like getting hosed and like to save a buck or two :)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the toys?!?!?!? Don't see me out sledding with you there crackadoo !!!! And besides...............being full of hot air...........I too don't like getting hosed and like to save a buck or two :)

what you didn't go hunting this year=save a buck or two.
icon10.gif
i seen ya crackin the whip. or was that the bottle caps.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how long before the tv and internet companies catch onto the power and gas scam about charging these fees that are set and say they can't control to screw over people? It's a hell of a scam! That are BS charges, everyone knows it. It's like the fuel companies saying we're going to charge $1.00L for gas and add on $0.10L for our trucks to deliver the gas, because they don't own the truck. Or internet/tv companies to say someone else owns the lines to the house and you need to pay rent on them.

There shouldn't be all these BS charges. The price for gas and power should be it, these fees should be in the set price.

Atco charges downright ROBBERY prices to install gas line in a new house, then they charge you maintenance fees for 50+ years. Shouldn't be both ways.
Satelite is starting already when you order a ufc fight!$49.95 plus a dollar service charge!When it was star choice there was no service charge now it's shaw there's another buck!

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah tv and internet companies NEVER do that. Internet providers all want to have usage based internet billing so they can get more of your money. And TV companies always have packages designed to get you to pay more.

Its weird that most people on this form moan and groan about paying a power or gas bill, but have no problem dropping $15000 on a sled, $5000 on upgrades, and $500 everytime they use it. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah tv and internet companies NEVER do that. Internet providers all want to have usage based internet billing so they can get more of your money. And TV companies always have packages designed to get you to pay more.Its weird that most people on this form moan and groan about paying a power or gas bill, but have no problem dropping $15000 on a sled, $5000 on upgrades, and $500 everytime they use it. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.
Ah stereotype time! First off why wouldnt you want to keep as much money as possible? If you want why don't you just throw them an extra $100 each bill. For the record I've never spent more then $7000 on a sled, and only spend on repairs. Thanks for trying though. Even if I did spend $15000 on a sled, I'd want to get the best deal possible. Again just because some people are stupid and throw money around like nothing, doesn't mean everyone wants to. Tv and Internet do not do it anywhere near the same.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

it seems like a scam but those fees are all approved by the governmet. we have to apply for a rate increase, which is based on previous years operating costs and future predictions.

utility companies seem like they are for profit but they arnt really, their whole existance is to increase their assets. the more assest the higher the stock price. which comes from people adding new services or these large transmission projects

try working for these companies, as they are regulated monopolys the policy is that no one gets bonuses or anything over the top of your set wage. in the old days they would rip out the am radios as it seemed to the public that their money was being wasted, its hard now as trucks come pretty much fully loaded. even if all other compaies are making record profits and employees are taking home huge bonuses we get nothing but a stable job. on the other hand when these companies handing out the bonuses go under we will still have jobs.

a new service for atco gas to install costs just the same ammount if you were to hire a crew to dig the ground and pipefitters/gassfitters youself. plus the cost of materials!

people want underground wires and cables feeding their areas and homes. thats fine but 90% of those under ground services will require a hydrovac at $200-$300 an hour for multiple hours plus underground cables cost more than overhead. which is why underground power systems cost 3-4 times overhead

Last edited:
Top Bottom