Switching from epcor to enmax

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this? Our current rate with epcor is 13.08 cents per kwh. Enmax locked in for 5 years is 8 cents per kwh. Which would equal a pretty high cost reduction in monthly bills Just wondering people's experience with enmax and if there is hidden costs.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
costs big money to run all your toys, may as well save a dollar where ya can=more beer or malibu rum

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i here by retract my earlier comment, and sentence myself to agreeign with cyle for one month for what could be the dumbest comment lately written on snow an mud

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been looking at it, not impressed with a $100 power bill last month, compared to usually $50-60 because the rate has more then doubled. My only concern was some fine print hook if you move or cancel or whatever. Any penny kept from the crooked utility companies is a good thing.

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
Been looking at it, not impressed with a $100 power bill last month, compared to usually $50-60 because the rate has more then doubled. My only concern was some fine print hook if you move or cancel or whatever. Any penny kept from the crooked utility companies is a good thing.

JUST $100?!? Ours has been $350ish for the last 2 months in a row! I'm beginning to wonder if I'm hooked up to a grow op!!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JUST $100?!? Ours has been $350ish for the last 2 months in a row! I'm beginning to wonder if I'm hooked up to a grow op!!! Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
Ya and my rates higher then yours, plus electric water heater. But one person who isn't home a lot, don't use much power. But I'm sure lights, cooking and laundry add up quick with more people.

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is crazy also for 2 people well over $200.00 atco is a rip off with no service just like telus.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$100 a month doesn't even cover the service and distribution charges for me. In my area there is only the one provider currently for power although it's suppose to be changing soon I'm told.
I got my grandparents switched over to Enmax from Epcor earlier in the year. Still 'new' customers but can't see much downside to it really. Big savings every month and the rate is guaranteed for 5 years, but you can leave at any time with no penalty (30 days notice). So it's not like you're actually locked in to anything. And they only sell the power to you - the service side of things doesn't change from your current service provider.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$100 a month doesn't even cover the service and distribution charges for me. In my area there is only the one provider currently for power although it's suppose to be changing soon I'm told.
I got my grandparents switched over to Enmax from Epcor earlier in the year. Still 'new' customers but can't see much downside to it really. Big savings every month and the rate is guaranteed for 5 years, but you can leave at any time with no penalty (30 days notice). So it's not like you're actually locked in to anything. And they only sell the power to you - the service side of things doesn't change from your current service provider.

So it's actually legit locked in and no penalty to cancel if within 30 days? No dumb conditions like if you don't cancel on friday the 13th you have to pay out the contract or anything? Really weird you get the benefit of a locked in rate, and the benefit of canceling with such little notice.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JUST $100?!? Ours has been $350ish for the last 2 months in a row! I'm beginning to wonder if I'm hooked up to a grow op!!!

maybe ya should switch a few of the toys off , or try battery power i know plio has.

or ya need the extra power for the kids to build the touges

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe ya should switch a few of the toys off , or try battery power i know plio has.

or ya need the extra power for the kids to build the touges

Or hire someone to turn off lights behind you! Hah, that bill does really seem high though.

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
Well I did get a heated blanky for christmas......and I turn it on for a full 8hours every night but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't cause my power bill to practically double!

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it's actually legit locked in and no penalty to cancel if within 30 days? No dumb conditions like if you don't cancel on friday the 13th you have to pay out the contract or anything? Really weird you get the benefit of a locked in rate, and the benefit of canceling with such little notice.

No, anytime throughout the 5 years you can cancel with 30 days notice. Say after 2 years the variable rate of power went down to 5 cents (highly doubt it, but just saying) you could leave their 5 year guaranteed 8 cents plan and go variable or leave Enmax and go to another provider all together. And no dumb cancellation requirements at all. It's pretty straight forward hedging on power distribution rates really. It makes perfect economical sense for the consumer and Enmax is the only one doing it currently (as far as I know)- they are probably hoping to gain lots of new customers this way. It's nice to see companies thinking outside the box a bit.
On a larger scale big corporations use the same hedging strategies all the time with their input costs and for sales revenue for commodities that change in price (ex. nat gas and oil). Very seldom do large companies buy or sell these commodities at the current daily prices. Enmax is doing the same thing with electricity and passing some of the advantages onto the consumer. Don't worry the cost to them is obviously locked in atleast partially for much less than 8 cents.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I did get a heated blanky for christmas......and I turn it on for a full 8hours every night but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't cause my power bill to practically double!

Who knows. I find it hard to believe I used $110 last month. I plugged in my truck ONE night. Other then that, I don't use like any power. Just looked at my bill, rate was 15.11 for part of the month, 13.30 for the rest......Frigging insane. Most of the summer it was like 8...

My usage in dec was double most other months nov was about the same to.......Figure that one out. Only difference was plugging in once, and furnace running a bit more. But I don't see where a furnace uses half your power bill. Plus in the summer I was using a lot more power from other things.

Worst part of the bill is the fees though $30 a month right to fees.....

Top Bottom