Sweet Snow...

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha ha....

Sledding in MacKenzie.... Should I sent a "wish you were here" postcard...??? :D

1st picture: Heavy snow this morning..... white-out above tree line most of the day... on Morphee Mtn.

2nd picture is my nephew Steven..... ponding life's little moments....

Had fun in the trees....

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 185

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More pictures from MacKenzie, Old Friend Trail... today, south & east of Powder King....

Awesome day... sun was shinning..... +3 deg. 1 of the 4 best rides I've had in my life......

Nephew is in pictures 1 & 2; wearing black.... I'm pictures 3 & 4; in green....

Trail was rougher than.................. :(

Attachments

• IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 164

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mmmmmm more snow..... and pictures......

Another fine day of sun and warm temperatures...

1st three pictures are Steven showing demonstrating his abilities...

Last photo is heading back..... for the day

Another awesome day sledding....

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1217A.JPG
    IMG_1217A.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 146

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Sweet Snow... Day 4

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Virgin snow, Virgin Old Growth Forest..... Where men had not gone before.... "Until Today".....
:perfect10: :mountainClimb: :mountainClimb:

Our adventure continued from where everyone else stopped.... Climbing up & down through the trees.... powder was 2 feet deep + ..... finding meadows..... then carving up throught more trees to another meadow......... the whole day was a repeat of these same actions.....

Ours were the only tracks up there..... and we enjoyed every minute spent carving up every inch of snow...!!

Picture 1: "Virgin Snow........" :)

Picture 2: Steven having fun...

Picture 3: Me.....

Picture 4: "Not so Virgin Snow"
Bar none, the "Best day I've had sledding......... period!!!!!"

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0120A.jpg
    IMG_0120A.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1255A.JPG
    IMG_1255A.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 136

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raging "Red Bull" Sweet Snow...

I just wanted to say thank you very much to the Red Bull Distributor (Easter Bunny) for the 4 pack left on all the trucks in the parking lot (Old Friend) on March 25th.

Much appreciated... :D :D

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Day 5 & Final Day of one very "Awesome Trip":

1 foot of fresh snow by 1200 hours..... snowing through the day.... mmmm oh so sweet....

Picture 1: Steven showing his thoughts regarding his carving and the awesome snow...
Picture 2: Steven pulling a catwalk ....
Picture 3: Steven finding powder....
Picture 4: Steven holding the official drink of our trip... :D
Picture 5: Gorgeous snow coming down on the trail. :D
Picture 6: Michael carving...
Picture 7: Michael carving...

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 117

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are some great shots looks like it was a great trip. That is one place I have always wanted to try out.:D

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was truly an aaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome trip... :perfect10:

This whole trip was geared around "Steven and his first mountain experience"

The highway up and back was in great condition (snow on the highway the morning of the 26th, 27th & 28th from MacKenzie to 39 Junction).

Every day into Old Friend was a new experience with more places to discover and track up. We talked about and then decided to forgo other riding areas until this one was exhausted or we quit having fun. The snow on all days was sweet... step of your running boards and sink to your knees... Spin your track to much and you'd drop it 3 feet plus the suspensions full extension in a heartbeat.

On the 26th we made our way to the top of a mountain (was untracked) after working our way through trees [finding meadows and clearings to play in], we came back down from just below the summit and stopped at the tree line. Steven took his helmet and balaclava.... I saw the ear to ear grin of a 3 year old child at Christmas... as he started to explain the "rush he was feeling" This made the whole trip worthwhile....

His 1st trip to the mountains... an awesome success... in every respect! He handled his machine very well; leaned how to land face first or otherwise in powder a few times :D, learned about getting stuck and becoming un-stuck (shovel and rolling the machine techniques). Learned respect for the mountain and its power. We identified avalanche terrain, cornices and run-outs... so he would know what to look for... and respect. He learned, walking him through a beacon search pattern. Most importantly, he learned to have “FUN”

The last couple of days were spent carving up all the meadows and clearings we could find. We would take a 10-minute break after some of them... to catch our breath and cool down a bit... we worked up a great sweat from the start until the end of the day.

Between the two of us, we took almost 400 pictures and roughly 1.5 gigs of video....

Now, it time to turn all this images into the last part of his grad present... which he can watch until he's to old to sled..... :D And my thanks to Steven (My Godson) for all the wonderful memories... and awe inspiring time!

I wish my first trip had been this awesome!!!

This attached picture saws it "ALL"

NosRX1, you'll have to go........ and spend a week... I don't think there were 12 sledders in MacKenzie on any given day.... This place is a gem waiting to be discovered..... is all I can say....

I've already have my trip planned for next year... :)

Those are some great shots looks like it was a great trip. That is one place I have always wanted to try out.:D

Attachments

• IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 111

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey maybe if my work rotation works out we can head out the at the same time. Nothing better then going with someone that has an idea of where to go. It good to hear Steven had such a good time now it will be in his blood for ever!!....lol. hopefully by then I have the turbo in my sled, it could be a fun place to air it out. How many riding areas are there around MacKenzie? And are the trailes groomed? Good story looked like you guys ad a blast!!.....wish I was home to go riding!!!:(:D

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NosRX1:

There are basically 5 areas; Morfee Mountain, Murry Range, Pine Bowl, Old Friend & Scenic Trail (Along Williston Lake) from Mackenzie back to the 39 Junction.

1) Within Pine Bowl you have Powder King, Skinny Ridge, Salt Shaker & Bijoux Falls.

2) Old Friend; has a couple of trails taking you up and over ridges into meadows.... taking you further and further back.... a person could spend weeks here and not find all the powder....:D

3) We never got to Murray Range.... this is MacKenzie's newest area... it has everything.... from what I've read.

4) Morfee Mtn has a couple of cabins on it /w trails taking you into Hidden Bowl. We never made it to Hidden Bowl as it was snowing hard the day we were up there. A complete white-out above the tree line... (Visibility was approx 30 feet) :mad:

The trail up Morfee was groomed. The trail to Old Friend was not groomed (there are three little bridges sleds have to cross which won't support a groomer). No comment on the other remaining areas.

As for next year... we can work on that... and see how everything shapes up... You may wish to test the turbo before going up there...

Both of us were dressed a light as we could get and we were both soaked at the end of the every day.... and bagged!!!! To say we had a blast is an extreme understatement.... :D :D :D :D

Hey maybe if my work rotation works out we can head out the at the same time. Nothing better then going with someone that has an idea of where to go. It good to hear Steven had such a good time now it will be in his blood for ever!!....lol. hopefully by then I have the turbo in my sled, it could be a fun place to air it out. How many riding areas are there around MacKenzie? And are the trailes groomed? Good story looked like you guys ad a blast!!.....wish I was home to go riding!!!:(:D

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CdnWrangler thanks for the great info. It really does sound like a undiscovered sledding paridis! :D

Top Bottom