Swan Hills

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Itching to get out there, first time in 4 years I havent rode out there before new years, we've had unreal snow here in WCT so havent made the drive up yet, maybe next weekend the goose is in order

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was up at goose tower riding yesterday, up to your waist in most areas, it was pretty warm out though so the snow was getting set up. Had a good ride

I am thinking of heading to Swan hills on the weekend, I've been there a couple of times in the last 3 or 4 years but have never been able to find goose tower. I am somewhat directionally challenged, my wife says says I'd never make it out of West Edmonton Mall without her help (she's right). Could anybody offer some assistance, I am trying to find a place with lots of snow but no avy hazard to take my daughter and her boyfriend so we can build some skills before doing serious mountain riding. Thanks.

Get yourself a GPS unit , Bruce
. Goose Tower.jpg

Last edited:

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the road up to Km 28 are they still logging?
thinking of going next weekend.

Road was the best I've seen in years. Plow truck in the ditch tonight on the way out. Some where about km22. Never seen a logging truck today. Snow was ok. Could find some soft stuff but had to look for it. For the most part it was set up pretty good. Need more snow before I go back. Way too much debris. Spinning on logs a lot. Was snowing heavy when we left the scales.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow dropped damn near a foot in my yard from the winds last night, can just imagine the winds at the goose, base is shrinking fast, from the looks of it goose mountain weather station is down im guessing it was wrecked by the wind house mountain is saying 60km/h average speed per hour for the last 4 hours.... Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited:

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the last two weeks the snow level has dropped 2' or so. It's sad!
The road will defiantly be drifted shut after today.

kanders

Reaction score
Thanks for the map AB Ranger, I have a Garmin GPS with loaded maps but it doesn't have a lot of detail.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Better bring a chainsaw on anyones next trip. Goose tower was pretty windy last week. Trees don't like wind. Lots of trees blown down all over Alberta

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
town office usually has gps maps of all the trails and a gps can come in handy,I,ll be back there for the jan 24 week end let me know if your coming I can help you out with where to go

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's the snow up there with all the warm temps? Thinking about going this weekend (25th or 26th).

Scorpion

Reaction score
We were up there on Sunday Jan 19. Staged from a pump jack station right next to the hiway about 10kms south of Swan. It was right beside a cutline with power lines on it. The snow was up to our knees and only had a small crust on top so we actually had a great ride until my sled died and we had to tow it out. I'm hoping to get back up there on the 25th or 26th as I doubt the conditions have changed that much this week. It aint 4 feet but right about now its better than nothing...

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We were up there on Sunday Jan 19. Staged from a pump jack station right next to the hiway about 10kms south of Swan. It was right beside a cutline with power lines on it. The snow was up to our knees and only had a small crust on top so we actually had a great ride until my sled died and we had to tow it out. I'm hoping to get back up there on the 25th or 26th as I doubt the conditions have changed that much this week. It aint 4 feet but right about now its better than nothing...
There is 4 ft, you just need to get at least to swan hills, snow is always better north and northeast of town., last year two miles south of town was a lot less than two miles north.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to the group today we held up on fox creek side of the triangle, breakdown in the early morning delayed our install of a snow bridge over our pipe until the directional drill is completed, ramp is in and should be removed by the end of the weekend, the club was notified and we have ensured it is passable for the groomer as well as installed signage to make riders aware of the ramp crossing at the sump hill rd crossing, any issues with the pipeline crew notify me by inbox and I will deal with it ASAP

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone riding around Swan Hills or Whitecourt today I would really appreciate an update on conditions. Family is chomping at the bit as it's a no go around Edmonton. Just don't want to go through all that work and drive for nothing. Thanks.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an update today? Suggestions on where to drop from?

Kurtschaar12

Reaction score
We went 24ish km's down goose tower today rode all day lots of trees down, everything is hard packed stumps out in logged area save your fuel and time for more snow. Won't go back there till we get another s**t load of snow.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went 24ish km's down goose tower today rode all day lots of trees down, everything is hard packed stumps out in logged area save your fuel and time for more snow. Won't go back there till we get another s**t load of snow.

Yup. We were there too. I don't know what all the rave is about Goose Tower. I didn't think it was that good. If the snow was better, I still couldn't find any really good areas. If I go there again, it would have to be with someone who really knows the area.

Were you the guy with the broken A-arm on the Dragon?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a good ride up around goose tower today. Boon docked through the woods. Some cut lines had ok snow, some were very icy. Spent the first few hours removing trees. Especially the real dangerous ones. You know, the 10 inch and bigger ones that blocked off the entire road halfway down a hill that was very icy. It blows my mind that people can take the time to carry their sleds over these trees, or make paths around them through the woods, but can't take the time to cut the effin apart and move it the F off the road so that nobody gets hurt. Pure effin laziness. There are still lots of small trees that are partially buried, mostly buried, and all the way covered except for some branches. We did what we could with the saw and hatchet. I would recommend caution riding on the trails after the next snowfall as the trees that are still lying down might just get covered and not safely buried. 10 cm up there would be perfect to get back out to find the remaining trees to remove and keep the sleds running cool.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. We were there too. I don't know what all the rave is about Goose Tower. I didn't think it was that good. If the snow was better, I still couldn't find any really good areas. If I go there again, it would have to be with someone who really knows the area.

Were you the guy with the broken A-arm on the Dragon?

It isnt that difficult to find good spots, i was never shown anything out there, just explored, no gps or anything, all you need is a good sense of direction, to know your sleds range on a tank and a good knowledge of where the snow accumulates best out there, also one of the goose's best features is that it usually has more snow than anywhere outside the mtns, this recent 3 week warmth hasn't helped anything, usually the only thing i do at goose tower is stage, very rarely do i spend the day riding that side of the ridge, unless there is lots of fresh, thats the only hint ill give

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

Top Bottom