Suspension upgrade for 08-09 XP

inside

Reaction score
I am thinking of the upgrade to a 10 style of rear suspension, but have to been able to find a kit from ski-doo for the 163, do they make them? I did find this kit from x-treme air and was wondering what the general thought was. Any opions would be great, Thanks.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If I was going to doo this, I would look at the timbersled rear skid....
Go here.... Timbersled Products, Inc.

The stock skidoo suspension in the 08/09 sleds was not good for mountain riding....or any riding for that matter....there are better suspensions...
Here is a video explaining the shortcomings of the Summit XP rear skid... You can improve yours with some simple adjustments.

Video here... Timbersled Products, Inc.

cheers

:beer::beer::beer:

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP only made the upgrade for the 154. I just put it on mine and what a difference. You may want to look at Timbersled

inside

Reaction score
The timbersled stuff looks good, but we are up to $2,000+ to get that done. It saves some weight but it is a bit of a pricey upgrade. (everybody will differ on that).

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not knowing how much time I would have to ride this year I chose to put some money into some upgrades for the 08xp. I was looking at Tom's Evolution Air kit but it ate up my entire budget.

I went with the Extreme air upgrade which allowed me to also get a new Camo Extreme non-ported track and WRP running boards. I think Tom's has a similar kit which works on the same concept of a longer center shock and moving the mount back in the rails.

My sled wasn't terribly difficult to lean over before but it does seem even easier now. The kit definitely reduces sag and hasn't bottomed out since the install. I believe this is because of the progressive shock. It has allowed me to lower the torsion spring tension from 4 to 2 making the ride down the trail allot more plush (I weigh 205). It also significantly lowered the front end lift during steep climbs. No more kissing my front bumper to try and keep the front end down.

If on a budget IMO either upgrade kit is money well spent and both have great customer service. Extreme also has some bullet proof vents including one for the stock air intake which for me was a must after ripping through 2.

my 2 cents

inside

Reaction score
Not knowing how much time I would have to ride this year I chose to put some money into some upgrades for the 08xp. I was looking at Tom's Evolution Air kit but it ate up my entire budget.

I went with the Extreme air upgrade which allowed me to also get a new Camo Extreme non-ported track and WRP running boards. I think Tom's has a similar kit which works on the same concept of a longer center shock and moving the mount back in the rails.

My sled wasn't terribly difficult to lean over before but it does seem even easier now. The kit definitely reduces sag and hasn't bottomed out since the install. I believe this is because of the progressive shock. It has allowed me to lower the torsion spring tension from 4 to 2 making the ride down the trail allot more plush (I weigh 205). It also significantly lowered the front end lift during steep climbs. No more kissing my front bumper to try and keep the front end down.

If on a budget IMO either upgrade kit is money well spent and both have great customer service. Extreme also has some bullet proof vents including one for the stock air intake which for me was a must after ripping through 2.

my 2 cents

Thats kinda my thought about price, just don't really wanna dump 2 grand into it. The trouble I have is that from a stop mine doesn't wanna really turn and it trenches like a supper star. You notice an improvement in trenching?

Nitro800

Reaction score
I just put that extreme air vents upgrade kit in my 09 xp. Made a huge difference. Leans over way easier and very easy to install. well worth the money.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is what one guy said to do when i asked about the sit-sag reducer kit.This does sound like what the upgrade kit does ,they give you new rails because the holes are in a different spot,but the reducer kit should help because it mounts to your rails and u can still use your stock shock until it needs to be replaced.Check this link out

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f460/sit-sag-reducer-41637.html

Originally Posted by pfi572
Rudy if you look inside the tunnel at the front mounting bolts you will see a hole just behind the stock location.
Drill this hole out and move the mount back to that hole. Keep back the same. This will do the same thing and is free and also reduces track angle.
It works no cost and if you don't like it , no cost.
Put it back in stock location if you don't like it.
I have did a few and have not put them back in stock location

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda my thought about price, just don't really wanna dump 2 grand into it. The trouble I have is that from a stop mine doesn't wanna really turn and it trenches like a supper star. You notice an improvement in trenching?

My trenching has been reduced but I did install a non-ported track at the same time. So I can't really say if it is because of the upgrade kit or the track.

The new track is definitely the best upgrade I've done to the sled.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My trenching has been reduced but I did install a non-ported track at the same time. So I can't really say if it is because of the upgrade kit or the track.

The new track is definitely the best upgrade I've done to the sled.

what track did u put on and how much was it?...just a question why didn't u do the upgrade kit first then try to see any difference,then put the track on a see again how it performs.

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what track did u put on and how much was it?...just a question why didn't u do the upgrade kit first then try to see any difference,then put the track on a see again how it performs.

Camo Extreme 2.5" - $800 inc. tax & shipping + numerous expletives during the install

I was hoping to put one upgrade on at a time but the new parts were in the garage and there was no snow on the hills. I already had the skid out and it was easy to put the shock in at that time.

JayZee

Reaction score

my 2 cents

Did you go with the center and rear shock package or just the center shock? How have they been working? Been looking at the same thing, can't decide between it or the BRP upgrade.

Top Bottom