suspension tuning

scrapmaster

Reaction score
wondering about the effects all the different suspension settings have on rideabilty and what each setting will change? on the advice of some riding buddys i changed my attack angle with my limiter straps, im fairly light so sucked them all the way up this seemed to make it climb alot better and is keeping the front end low but im noticing that with all the weight transfer to the front i cant manouver as weel when boondocking and on the trail is there anything i can do to counteract this? im not sure if some of this is from changing my rear shock pressure set it higher again on ppls advice seems to work better on the trail but i dont think im climbing as well now either? are there any rough guidelines as to what settings work best for different riding styles? thx in advance for any advice

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to the Ohlins site and read this guide. Tells a lot of basic info on suspension setup. Works for any type of shocks.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to tell people that limiters are there for the sole reason of "limiting" the full stroke of the front skid shock. Really they should not been to be shortened and surely not lengthened. Too long and you risk blowing out the end of the shock. Too short and you get too much ski pressure. Supposed to be set just short of the full stroke of the shock. There are other ways to achieve ski pressure. By shortening limiters you effectively take away shock stroke and therefore suspension damping. I can also state that too stiff a suspension setting in the rear skid shock will take away weight transfer. I recently put on a Fox Zero Pro on the back of my Crossfire. Right away I noticed the lack of transfer so will be puting the standard shock back on. I do not bottom the standard shock so no issue there. Again, ideally, you want the rear skid shock set so that it might bottom on the occaisonal BIG hit. Adjust from there.

I like good weight transfer.

Just my opinion.

scrapmaster

Reaction score
thanks for the replys guys this is startin to make sense, so if i slack the limiter off to where it should be how can i adjust my attack angle or is it really as important as iv been told? also does the front suspension have much impact on all this?

srxdude

Reaction score
Run the front shock on the rear skid as loose as possible. This will give good approach angle for powder and trail riding. Do not as in the other post adjust the straps. To tight of tension on front shock causes loss of speed and bad approach angle for powder.

Top Bottom