Suspension set up

McTwist

Reaction score
So I am new to having a sled that is easier to fine tune the suspension to my preferences so I have some questions. I am coming off a 2010 M8 so all I had were air pressures to set to.

I have the front end figured out just some questions on the skid.

In the 13 manual it says that tightening up the center shock will help with snow performance but on pretty much anything I've read on the forums people say to set the center shock preload to a minimum. Mine is currently set at 1.5" of thread showing from the top of the pre load collar. I set the rear torsion spring at setting #3. I weigh 220lbs with no gear.

On my first ride I was happy with the performance of the sled but I don't know if I can get more out of it or not.

I am looking for tips and pointers on what adjusting things do and react with one another to help or hinder the performance of the sled.

Also does upgrading shocks just improve bump performance or do aftermarket shocks improve deep snow performance.

Thanks
Adam

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I start at the rear shock, from the bumper measure to the floor. Get on the sled and have someone measure again. This measurement should be between 2 and 3". Set the rear springs heavier or lighter to get this. Now if the skis were way in the air with no steering control while riding normally, and the steering is too easy, then you need to decrease the preload on the center shock. If its too hard to steer with too much downforce on the front end, then increase the tension on the center spring. The stopper strap (limiting strap) is set for a proper weight transfer. If the skis are a mile high in the air and you think its cool, then you need to shorten the strap. If it doesnt lift the skis off or only slightly, loosen the strap a bolt hole and try it. The better (proper) weight transfer will allow your track to hook up better while still lifting the skis to play in the powder.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I start at the rear shock, from the bumper measure to the floor. Get on the sled and have someone measure again. This measurement should be between 2 and 3". Set the rear springs heavier or lighter to get this. Now if the skis were way in the air with no steering control while riding normally, and the steering is too easy, then you need to decrease the preload on the center shock. If its too hard to steer with too much downforce on the front end, then increase the tension on the center spring. The stopper strap (limiting strap) is set for a proper weight transfer. If the skis are a mile high in the air and you think its cool, then you need to shorten the strap. If it doesnt lift the skis off or only slightly, loosen the strap a bolt hole and try it. The better (proper) weight transfer will allow your track to hook up better while still lifting the skis to play in the powder.

He Pretty much summed it up and I will tell you limiter strap is to far out from factory!:Snowmobile1:

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also weigh 220 and the rear springs are way too soft. During the promo rides earlier on spring many commented that they wanted a plusher ride and voila soggy springs.

I adjusted the factory springs to max and shortened limiter one hole, which only caused the front of the skid to add more preload to the already soft rear spring and sag it 2-3" without me on it.

As per above you almost certainly will need to change out the rear springs to stiffer, you can go to either the ---87 & ---89 springs or even the freeride ones will help.

Another thing is to remount the rear swivel 3/4 farther back on rails as it levers over very quickly and collapses give a softer ride.

My final choice was to go to a Fox Float set up from Nextech and the Doo adjustable limiter kit
This works incredible!
I can adjust the Float preload with pump and the ride quality is WAY better and no more wheely

McTwist

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys everyone it helps to start adjusting things. I never found I had too much ski lift with the way I had it set up. If I punched the throttle the skis would lift for a second or 2 and then settle back down. I am just going to dedicate a day to tuning one day when I am by myself and can just play in one area and start adjusting things and see what it does and how I like it.

Top Bottom