Suspension Issues

radar09

Reaction score
I have an issue with my rear suspension. There is none!!! Even when I brought it home from the dealership it has a bad sag to it. I only weigh 145lbs, so I don't want to crank it up too much.

Right now it sags all the way down, I can literally pull it up at least a foot, let it go, and it sinks back down. This is with no weight on it either.

Do I have a messed up rear shock? Can it be revalved? Or do I need to buy a new one? Is there anything you would suggest would fix this?

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the manual it says that it is normal to have some sag, but it is more like 3-4 inches. Try tightening up your rear spring which is your rebound. Tightening your spring will give you less sag.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What your experiencing has nothing to do with the valving of your rear shocks or the fact that it may or may not be blown, It is either a spring or linkage issue. If the spring on the shock looks intact and installed on the shock properly (with the correct amount of preload) The issue will most likely be somewhere else in the suspension linkage. Have someone lift the back end of your sled off the ground...check to see if your springs are still tight, or if they are loose and flop around. If this is the case...you will need to crank up the preload ring on the shock to achieve the desired sag. If all is good there....check out all the components and linkages to make sure that they are all there, tight and no missing pieces or bolts.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What your experiencing has nothing to do with the valving of your rear shocks or the fact that it may or may not be blown, It is either a spring or linkage issue. If the spring on the shock looks intact and installed on the shock properly (with the correct amount of preload) The issue will most likely be somewhere else in the suspension linkage. Have someone lift the back end of your sled off the ground...check to see if your springs are still tight, or if they are loose and flop around. If this is the case...you will need to crank up the preload ring on the shock to achieve the desired sag. If all is good there....check out all the components and linkages to make sure that they are all there, tight and no missing pieces or bolts.

This.

The shocks only job is to dampen movement each direction.

radar09

Reaction score
I have the ass end off the ground, spring measurement is same as in manual. Tightened it up a bunch, and still lots of sag. Looks like an old 90's drag sled. Looked hard to see if anything looks out of place or broken, doesn't appear to be the case.
I did replace my springs last year to Raptor's light weight springs as I'm only 145lbs. I could try cranking them up more also I guess.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the ass end off the ground, spring measurement is same as in manual. Tightened it up a bunch, and still lots of sag. Looks like an old 90's drag sled. Looked hard to see if anything looks out of place or broken, doesn't appear to be the case.
I did replace my springs last year to Raptor's light weight springs as I'm only 145lbs. I could try cranking them up more also I guess.
Raptor springs are triple rate, so they are much softer in the first portion of travel, then stiffen up as you move through the travel. Could be why you have more sag than you think you should have.

radar09

Reaction score
Sounds good, I'll throw up some photo's tomorrow.
I'll also send Jake a quick email to get the spring length info again.

Sent from my iPhone using

ditch1000

Reaction score
Check your track tension. If your track is loose is will sag a lot. Just ensure it is tensioned to what is in the operators manual before spending money on shocks and springs that you may not need!!

radar09

Reaction score
I tightened up the RTS, there is still a lot of sag, but it is better. I will try tightening the track too.

radar09

Reaction score
There is 4.5 inches of sag, but the first 3 inches I have to pull up on the bumper to get it up there.

Top Bottom