surface hoar - things are changing

ratatatat

Reaction score
There is a widespread layer of surface hoar buried around the 28 - 29 of dec. - things are changing. Critical loads are in the forecast with wind and warming temps. Its going to go from really good to really scary. Will the sledding community respond?

sirzones

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a few might respond but most wont listen until someone dies,then they will pay attn:nono:

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good call on that. I noticed over Xmas that there was a lot of frost in the air all the way from the Shuswap to Jasper. It certainly made for some slick road conditions but you're right about the mountains...it could get sketchy.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this.

From this weekend we were down south in the Crowsnest. We noticed two things:

1) Very weak snowpack. People still climbing (even avy chutes!). The top layers were cracking and sliding while playing on small hills. When sticking the shovels in the snow it was easy to get the top 10-30 cm of snow to slide in a slab. Once this sets up more it'll be real bad!

2) In another area we rode the second day there was lots of recent avy's. Peope were still playing in avy runs and climbing hills.

I shake my head =(

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a few might respond but most wont listen until someone dies,then they will pay attn:nono:

I was rideing today on the way in noticed several slides : warning bells : I was with my wife we carry all the gear but when I am with her I stay in the safer areas but still use caution . My nabour shows up an he is climbing a almost vertical hill I told him he should be carefull , (He was rideing with six other people none of them had a shovel probe or peeps) . His comment to me was slides do not happen on vancouver Island , I told him about the other slides and he said I was an idiot and didnt know what I was talking about . That is why I stopped Rideing with him 3 years ago . The conditions are getting worse more heavy wet snow forcasted . It is amaseing how many people dont listen .:nono:

HARDCORE

Reaction score
There is a widespread layer of surface hoar buried around the 28 - 29 of dec. - things are changing. Critical loads are in the forecast with wind and warming temps. Its going to go from really good to really scary. Will the sledding community respond?

A+ post thanks! :beer:

HARDCORE

Reaction score
I was rideing today on the way in noticed several slides : warning bells : I was with my wife we carry all the gear but when I am with her I stay in the safer areas but still use caution . My nabour shows up an he is climbing a almost vertical hill I told him he should be carefull , (He was rideing with six other people none of them had a shovel probe or peeps) . His comment to me was slides do not happen on vancouver Island , I told him about the other slides and he said I was an idiot and didnt know what I was talking about . That is why I stopped Rideing with him 3 years ago . The conditions are getting worse more heavy wet snow forcasted . It is amaseing how many people dont listen .:nono:

How is the snow conditions on the Isl bro, heading over there in the near future for a burn?

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the snow conditions on the Isl bro, heading over there in the near future for a burn?

It was great yesterday had about 1.5 feet of fresh on top of the hard pack made for great meadow bashing and air off the drifts, and another 10 inches fell last nite . there is about 4-6 feet depending where your rideing , still have to watch for stumps though .

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of surface hoar in the Rockies on Boxing Day. :eek:

Attachments

• dscf2251-0.jpg
    dscf2251-0.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 26

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats exactlly what we had on the Island , now there is 2 feet sitting on top of it . ????

kelwar

Reaction score
I noticed the hoar frost too on boxing day and yesterday it was quite bad stuck to the small stuff all day because every time some one did a little side hill it would crack and slide about two feet down

Top Bottom