Supermoto Conversion

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying a street bike this year, but I have a 2006 Kawasaki KXF450 sitting in the shop that I will probably never ride, so why not install a Supermoto kit. I haven't done a ton of research, but I do know that I need tires, rims, battery, bigger stator, speedo, lights, and signals. Am I missing anything? Is it worth it? How about registration and insurance? Anybody ever done one?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is call and discuss this with your insurance company.

I know lots of people do it, but when I researched it years ago all the insurance companies said the same thing. If it was found the bike was not street legal (off-road use only frame) coverage can be rejected.

That being said you can do it easily. What's in the fine print is what matters though. Most don't read it.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll have to get it inspected to get it street registered and finding the right shop to work with you is key. Getting it passed can be relatively easy, or a hassle installing obscure things like kickstand interlock switch and getting it quiet enough if they choose to go right by the book.

I think the shop doing the certification assumes a lot of liability when the pass somebody's home-built dirtbike for street use, hence they are hesitant to get involved.

I'd love to street-plate my ATK450 but it was turning into a hassle so I haven't yet. Frustrating because it comes with hi/lo headlight, signals, horn, brake/taillight, etc but no street legal designation in Canada (would have cost ATK $ to register the model in Canada for selling maybe a handful of bikes up here).

Anyway good luck with it, I think I was talking with Scona Cycle about the inspections FWIW.

Top Bottom