Super Sidewinder 2018

gsteve

Reaction score
Lookin great ! I have a couple questions , whats the difference in coolers between the btx and what you are installing. I guess im asking why it needs changing? Have you found any easy weight lose parts? Im curious to hear how much can be dumped off a sw. Im a prairie guy who gets to the mtns a lot less than id like these days , im really pondering the 2018 153 mtx.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lookin great ! I have a couple questions , whats the difference in coolers between the btx and what you are installing. I guess im asking why it needs changing? Have you found any easy weight lose parts? Im curious to hear how much can be dumped off a sw. Im a prairie guy who gets to the mtns a lot less than id like these days , im really pondering the 2018 153 mtx.

The BTX cooler is much larger then the MTX, effectively running the entire length of the tunnel straight to the snow flap. The reason that is because the BTX is a crossover and is also design to run on hard pack trails all day long if needed or wanting too.
While the MTX is design to run off trail, though capable of running short distances on hard pack it is not intended to run hard pack, it will have the tendency in certain condition to heat up if no scratcher is used. The cooler on the MTX is set directly under the fuel tank, it is a low profile cooler that has a lot less cooling surface compared to the BTX.
So that is the difference. I'm custom building my own cooler that will be a low profile cooler to allow track lug clearance that the BTX cooler will not allow and will have approximately 30% more cooling surface compared to the MTX cooler. This will allow the sled to travel hard pack conditions keeping the heat in check better then the stock MTX cooler.

BTW, i should see the aluminum material Friday for the cooler.

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do the same mod to an mtx to get a bigger cooler in there?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much clearance is there on the top of the tunnel? Will 9 tooth drivers make the track hit the tunnel? I saw the ckearance with the eight tooth is big. Three fingers big!

A 3.2" will not fit but the 3" will fit. But it leaves less then 1/4" clearance at the bulkhead. That's no good, it will rob power by not allowing the snow to escape properly, the lugs will act like shovel's pulling the snow out. You should have a minimum of 1" clearance between the top of the lug and tunnel and bulkhead areas.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do the same mod to an mtx to get a bigger cooler in there?
The MTX already runs cool, I wouldn't worry about it.
A 3.2" will not fit but the 3" will fit. But it leaves less then 1/4" clearance at the bulkhead. That's no good, it will rob power by not allowing the snow to escape properly, the lugs will act like shovel's pulling the snow out. You should have a minimum of 1" clearance between the top of the lug and tunnel and bulkhead areas.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The MTX already runs cool, I wouldn't worry about it.

That is correct, the MTX has no heating issues off trail. On the trail though some have experienced a lot of heat and scratchers are a must.
If your in a group and traveling slower then usual the MTX tends to heat up even with scratchers. At higher rate of speed it seems to dissipate the heat better.
That has been the report from Yamaha Kelowna taking the demo's out, weekly.
Is it a big deal? No not really, i'm doing the upgrade cause having the choice why not improve on it, the BTX cooler's won't work with the big lug track. Plus i will be able to putter down the trail longer without a worry and that happens more often then none with someone i know LOL.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is correct, the MTX has no heating issues off trail. On the trail though some have experienced a lot of heat and scratchers are a must.
If your in a group and traveling slower then usual the MTX tends to heat up even with scratchers. At higher rate of speed it seems to dissipate the heat better.
That has been the report from Yamaha Kelowna taking the demo's out, weekly.
Is it a big deal? No not really, i'm doing the upgrade cause having the choice why not improve on it, the BTX cooler's won't work with the big lug track. Plus i will be able to putter down the trail longer without a worry and that happens more often then none with someone i know LOL.
The one in our group hasn't had a problem on icy trails. Some of the 2S where overheating on the same trail.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming along nicely there Lund. Looks great! Think you will have s chance to try it out this spring? No operation yet?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming along nicely there Lund. Looks great! Think you will have s chance to try it out this spring? No operation yet?

Thank's, no surgery dates yet..waiting.
I won't be getting the Sw out till next season, i'm waiting for a few parts and material to build the heat exchangers, should see that any day now.
The rails are not here yet and neither is the track, Yamaha has a couple of parts on back order also.
Come the end of March i will put the project away and move on to other things, like getting the bike ready, going to install a drop kit in KB bike, make it a little lower for her..LOL. Plus i have to put in a new floor in the house before the company shows up in the summer months..you know how it is when you live in BC, every one shows up at your door step for holidays LOL.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you use the cr rear skid mounts also Lund

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No i haven't Clode but he wants me too. Chad said that the OEM mounts bend easy??

I rode some rough trial today and a rivet on the back of the board (near mount) come loose, both sides on my cat....do the upgrade...I am going to have to before I bend something

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode some rough trial today and a rivet on the back of the board (near mount) come loose, both sides on my cat....do the upgrade...I am going to have to before I bend something

Oh wow, ok. I will talk to him tomorrow then. Thanks.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we ordered the track today, its coming from Quebec and there is only one left in stock for now. LOL, Chad has another one but its going on a customer's Viper.

Picking the right track was a bit of a pain. The problem is there are no real turbo 4stroke track's available. Or let me rephrase that, there are very few "suitable" 4stroke tracks available. Tracks are manufactured for 2strokes and the problem we found with pretty much all tracks is they are too soft to use on a turbo 4stroke, they fold under the torque and track speeds a 4stroke delivers. Even the oem track used on the 4stroke is too soft to allow good hookup.
Cr has done numerous track swaps for that exact reason, there is nothing wrong with the track other then it fold's under load.
So that was my dilemma.
So it appears that there really is only one track that will suit the 4stroke turbo scene and it was specifically made for it. The CamoX 9115M, it has a very firm lug that will hold its shape under the loads applied by the heavier and more powerful 4strokes.
I actually use that track on my Nytro in a 2.5" version and yes it does work the lugs don't fold. The track only comes as a 16" wide, so you need to cut it down to 15".
I will try to post a video on how to do that when i cut it down, its actually not hard to do, more of a pain in the arse.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wish you lived closer Lund I would cut your track for you. Have it down to a science. The big trick I found is use cutting oil on the saw blade to keep it cool so the blade doesn't distort. I set up my table saw so the track can sit level on both sides. One guy feeds the track through and one guy sprays the blade and pulls the cut off piece to the side. I also use a blade with lots of teeth. It's a stinky job but if done right goes smooth.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So got the Cooler completed for those following this build;

The first picture shows installed of new Super Sidewinder cooler.
DSC_0060.jpg

This second picture shows the difference between a BTX cooler on far left, MTX cooler in center(cardboard cut out of exact dimensions) and far right is the Super Sidewinder cooler. These are tunnel coolers that work in conjunction with the bulkhead cooler.
DSC_0066_1.jpg

The third picture i'm just showing the profile of the new cooler. 1/2" vs 1", this allows for better track clearance and snow removal.
DSC_0067_1.jpg

Last picture shows the OEM cooler vs the new super cooler in cooling surface improvement.
DSC_0064.jpg

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you be able to make another for an mtx for a price. You know, down the road.....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you be able to make another for an mtx for a price. You know, down the road.....

Yes, i have all the specs for it. In fact, Chad at CR is using the specs and going to be making one for RS BTX Sidewinder that will be stretch out to 174.

Reactions: LBZ
Top Bottom