Super Sidewinder 2018

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
From my experience on my Sidewinder, there isn't a 2 stroke of any brand that is even close in all aspects EXCEPT for tight tree riding, they all will dominate over the sidewinder there, so if tree bashing is your thing don't buy a sidewinder but if all other aspects of riding is your thing this machine kills everything else period. The 850 isn't even a contender against this sled and I have rode a 850 quite a bit and compared as well. There is no 2 stroke that can build speed as fast as this 4 stroke, the torque is unbelievable. I am not trying to sound like the yammie is the best but so far in 350 kms I have been amazed over and over. I am looking forward to my 174 for next year because it will even make this sled a better machine all around and I will post my results for sure, but so far with the 162 it is hauling serious ass. Last trip out we were just off to the side of sugar bowl on a short steep climb with 2 feet of powder and some guys were hitting it hard with the 850's and making it halfway up and turning out. I watched them and lined up with no real speed because the bottom was rough and went straight over the top in a catwalk doing 20 mph. They still couldn't make it following my tracks. I then went into the trees where it was much deeper and tractored my way around with ease in the super deep fluff, if you get in trouble the throttle will lift you out of the snow so fast it will make your head shake, believe me or not this sled is going to gain headway on the hills mark my words. I think the 850 with the 175" is going to be a great sled if they fix there issues but I know that there has to be a lot of people that are super turned off by doo and want something that they can actually ride without breaking which is going to help sales for all other brands and maybe even more so for yamaha. Just my opinion, let the bashing begin!

bcjeepr

Reaction score
Any body remember the Nitro, and what an improvement it was, Turbo ed and ya still can"t give them away .

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any body remember the Nitro, and what an improvement it was, Turbo ed and ya still can"t give them away .

2 chassis old now so compare apples to apples....whats a XP doo worth...or a Dragon

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my experience on my Sidewinder, there isn't a 2 stroke of any brand that is even close in all aspects EXCEPT for tight tree riding, they all will dominate over the sidewinder there, so if tree bashing is your thing don't buy a sidewinder but if all other aspects of riding is your thing this machine kills everything else period. The 850 isn't even a contender against this sled and I have rode a 850 quite a bit and compared as well. There is no 2 stroke that can build speed as fast as this 4 stroke, the torque is unbelievable. I am not trying to sound like the yammie is the best but so far in 350 kms I have been amazed over and over. I am looking forward to my 174 for next year because it will even make this sled a better machine all around and I will post my results for sure, but so far with the 162 it is hauling serious ass. Last trip out we were just off to the side of sugar bowl on a short steep climb with 2 feet of powder and some guys were hitting it hard with the 850's and making it halfway up and turning out. I watched them and lined up with no real speed because the bottom was rough and went straight over the top in a catwalk doing 20 mph. They still couldn't make it following my tracks. I then went into the trees where it was much deeper and tractored my way around with ease in the super deep fluff, if you get in trouble the throttle will lift you out of the snow so fast it will make your head shake, believe me or not this sled is going to gain headway on the hills mark my words. I think the 850 with the 175" is going to be a great sled if they fix there issues but I know that there has to be a lot of people that are super turned off by doo and want something that they can actually ride without breaking which is going to help sales for all other brands and maybe even more so for yamaha. Just my opinion, let the bashing begin!

are the belts for these still just $100 bucks

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nytro and Viper both have resale issues for sure. Hoping they got it right this time and have some decent improvements coming for 2018 to further push Yamaha.

I know I almost bought a viper and I'm glad I didn't and now I waited an extra year for the sidewinder hoping for more improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the write up Catman, what your relating is what other's riding the SW are saying. Including the guys taking out the test mule, they go out with several other sleds to test out the mule and there is no dispute..... I can't wait to get my game on, with this sled.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are the belts for these still just $100 bucks

I bought my Nytro in 2010 new. Turbo'ed it up at 0km (actually did the same as what i'm doing to the SW, built it from the box) i have about 8500km on it now, with 3 belts. 2 i completely blew apart out of my own stupidity.
I hope to see the same out of the SW.

roadlinur113

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nytro and Viper both have resale issues for sure. Hoping they got it right this time and have some decent improvements coming for 2018 to further push Yamaha.

I know I almost bought a viper and I'm glad I didn't and now I waited an extra year for the sidewinder hoping for more improvements.

Firstly an apology for kind of taking Lunds thread off topic. Congrats on your new purchase and build BTW. I bought a non current 2016 base Viper mtx 153 in November here as I wanted to try Cats chassis but still wanted a Yamaha engine in it. Why buy another sled when I had 3 very good and near new or low mile sleds? The dealer was selling at the ridiculous price of $8450 plus GST out the door. I paid a grand more than that back in 07 for a Phazer lite 4 stroke. ( which my wife and all who rode it hated and pretty near scared me off owning a 4 stroke again). Resale will probably be bad on the Viper as it is on most any sled in these economic and low local snow years but I figured I could use the 4 stroker to bang around locally for years at the price I got it for. Boosted sleds are not my thing but if they were I would only have a factory Yamaha built one so enjoy the big power up high.

Belt, OEM tunnel bag and a plug in helmet cord cost for the Viper..... $150.....installed.....Amazing

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep nice deals on left over vipers for sure and right from the dealers. I agree Yamaha motors are top tier aswell. Haven't even ridden one yet had a demo booked 2 years in a row and I ended up long shifting at work missing the demo oppportunity. Haven't booked one this year but should probably do it soon.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep nice deals on left over vipers for sure and right from the dealers. I agree Yamaha motors are top tier aswell. Haven't even ridden one yet had a demo booked 2 years in a row and I ended up long shifting at work missing the demo oppportunity. Haven't booked one this year but should probably do it soon.

I never tried one and bought one, in fact i don't even think i even sat on it yet LOL. Now i can't even do that cause the seat and stuff is all off. LOL
In all the years i have never demoed a sled to buy, i have always seem to find joy in what ever i bought but then trying one for me is futile being it gets ripped apart. It is nice that people are now given the opportunity to try then first.

My front shocks are now shorten and i should be able to reassemble the front suspension and get pics up for you guys pretty quick. Plus Chad called me and said my tunnel is ready for pickup.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are your plans for the chesterfield seat?

• Thanks
Reactions: LBZ

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are your plans for the chesterfield seat?

Reuse for now. I'm not sure whats out there to replace it with i haven't looked and don't know if there is.
It cover's the fuel tank and the battery.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Lund. I am looking at Buying and stretching a Sidewinder also. Do you mine sending me the info of the parts needed and such. Thanks I appreciate it. Also could you send the info between the BTX and the MTX. Thanks again.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Lund. I am looking at Buying and stretching a Sidewinder also. Do you mine sending me the info of the parts needed and such. Thanks I appreciate it. Also could you send the info between the BTX and the MTX. Thanks again.

Yes i will send it, wait for it probably tomorrow night. Do you have a line on a MTX or BTX?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reuse for now. I'm not sure whats out there to replace it with i haven't looked and don't know if there is.
It cover's the fuel tank and the battery.
The skinz one for the viper is supposed to fit.

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a lead. The cheapest so far is just over $16,000.00. Do you know of a better price?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically if your going to take an MTX and stretch it to a 174 expect to put out an extra $3000 minimum. I say minimum because the track profile will effect the cost. Anywhere from $1600-$2200 approx. 3" vs 3.2"
So depending on how much you pay for your MTX, i would expect most by the time they stretch their unit to be close or even at $20k or more.

A BTX will cost more and requires a lot more work to convert but can be bought for a lot less in the west then an MTX.
At the end of the day the difference between the MTX build and a BTX build depends on how much you puckup the units for.
MTX requires;
Track, rails, tunnel extension.
BTX requires;
Track, rails, tunnel extension, drivers, gear & chain.
As option; 36" a-arm kit, lower profile coolers, mtx profile clutch weights.

The BTX is a much more aggressive unit compared to the MTX, with its more aggressive ratio's and clutching combined with the wider stance. This might suit some but it can be tuned to a less aggressive MTX. But an MTX can also be tuned to be more aggressive by using BTX weights and gears. It all depends what you want.

Just wanted to add, there is a 38" stance available also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom