summit 800 ho meltdown?

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would of caused this failure? Both pistons are scared front and back. I had the jugs off just before it died tracking down an air leak (turned out to be a crankcase plug [mag] which i repaired). There were no air leeks after it was running. It seemed to run well after I put it back together ( I only rode it for 10 min around my property). I took it out for a proper ride and only got a few km on when it stalled. Could I of done something wrong putting it back together? I put new gaskets on everything. I torqued everything down according to the manual. It seems like it would be something I did putting it back together. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Snowmobile part 003.jpg
    Snowmobile part 003.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 215
  • Snowmobile part 008.jpg
    Snowmobile part 008.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Snowmobile part 013.jpg
    Snowmobile part 013.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 222
  • Snowmobile part 019.jpg
    Snowmobile part 019.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Snowmobile part 020.jpg
    Snowmobile part 020.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Snowmobile part 021.jpg
    Snowmobile part 021.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 215

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where were you riding? good snow for cooling?

as long as you didnt remove any oil lines/tank or remove the oil pump that shouldnt be the problem....

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeh did you get al the air out of the cooling system after put back together? some sleds its a pain because the rear of the cooler is high up. did you remember to rehook up the oil line when you reinstalled the carbs?

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where were you riding? good snow for cooling?

as long as you didn't remove any oil lines/tank or remove the oil pump that shouldn't be the problem....

I let the sled warm up well, I remember riding the trail edge to get some snow up on the coolers. Varying the throttle alot just cause i just put it back together. There was reasonable snow for cooling. I don't think that was the problem. I didn't touch the oil system except to top up the oil.

yeh did you get al the air out of the cooling system after put back together? some sleds its a pain because the rear of the cooler is high up. did you remember to rehook up the oil line when you reinstalled the carbs?

I did lift the ass end and reved it a couple of times. Maybe not enough? The cooling system seemed to be full when I drained it this morning. I did hook up the oil cable and set it to the manual spec.
edit: Oil cable, I mean throttle cable

Last edited:

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not elevate the front end . The cooling system seemed to be full if that matters.
Thanks again for the help.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you let it warm up before take off, or just ease it down the trail sort of.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did lift the ass end and reved it a couple of times. Maybe not enough? The cooling system seemed to be full when I drained it this morning. I did hook up the oil cable and set it to the manual spec.
edit: Oil cable, I mean throttle cable[/QUOTE]

possibly the oil cable slipped around the lever it hooks to and came undone ? or lever went around backwards when cable was slack with the carbs off? pulling straws here so not sayin this could or did happen just throwing ideas out there.

mountain_tamer

Reaction score
My dads XP did the same thing except he had never had his apart.
We fueled up in the morning all from the same gas station. Let his sled warm up good while we were getting ready to ride and then we took off down the trail. made it about 10 miles and it stalled.

Pistons looked the same as yours.

We never did find the problem, but after it went we put in a 880 big bore and have not had an issue since.
We did adjust the oil cable to the richer side of things so maybe that was the issue to start with

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to the shop today and had another look at my sled. I found the oil line pushed down with a kink in it....I would imagine it was this kink in the oil system that caused the meltdown. So... , do you think I compromised the bottom end bearings with the lack of oil? I put about a total of 3 km on it with it compromised. The motor only has about 2000km on it. Would it be wise to pull the bottom end apart and re grease the bearings? Its tough sometimes learning from your mistakes. Thanks for your impute.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to the shop today and had another look at my sled. I found the oil line pushed down with a kink in it....I would imagine it was this kink in the oil system that caused the meltdown. So... , do you think I compromised the bottom end bearings with the lack of oil? I put about a total of 3 km on it with it compromised. The motor only has about 2000km on it. Would it be wise to pull the bottom end apart and re grease the bearings? Its tough sometimes learning from your mistakes. Thanks for your impute.

end of season have all summer to do it. yes i would, cheap peace of mind imo. if not every ride out next year you will be wondering is this the one? did i hurt it last year?
if its all good your out a couple hundred bucks and a bit of free time, if bad well out a bit more.
leave it go till next year and if it is bad boom there goes your complete engine, cylinders possibly etc. plus then your missing riding time. just sayin, and riding time is priceless.
good luck and be careful with your oil line next time.:d:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are the cylinders? shortblock = 1800$ consider it an option. that way there is no guessing game.

if the cylinders just need to be honed or coated it might be worth it to rebuild and just inspect the bottom end

Top Bottom