Summer XRS Project Build

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man, that is a sweet ride, i'm still a huge fan of the REV chasis over the XP but was looking at steeping up as it's the "NEW" thing to have. I'm really torn whether i big bore with a track like your's or buy the XP but looking at your build photos sure pushes me towards customizing what i have (bought & paid for). A question, with your custom boards would it have been possible to make the cut-outs a honeycomb shape compared to the diamonds? This would match the theme from your vent kit. Very, very nice, i'm jealous!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks MM!!! we riding together this year? :D iv come a little further than looking for help with my throttle block hey :p hahaha

You've done well! Gotta little bit left on the one sled, than I could start riding. Should have vid of it fired this weekend.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man, that is a sweet ride, i'm still a huge fan of the REV chasis over the XP but was looking at steeping up as it's the "NEW" thing to have. I'm really torn whether i big bore with a track like your's or buy the XP but looking at your build photos sure pushes me towards customizing what i have (bought & paid for). A question, with your custom boards would it have been possible to make the cut-outs a honeycomb shape compared to the diamonds? This would match the theme from your vent kit. Very, very nice, i'm jealous!!!

Ditto, love that Rev :D Ya, new is always nice... I really like the 2010 XRS package they have now, they put some great shocks on there, also i hear the saggy suspension issues have been fixed so that's good. But like everything there will be issues and i have heard the 2010's have been heading back to the shop already, no idea for what. What you really need to think about is do i want to keep this sled forever... because that's what you need to do when you start making modifications. As soon as you put an aftermarket piece on your sled that pieces value drops by 3/4... noone can sell custom machines anymore unless there Yami turbos... (even then the seller is taking a huge loss) So with everything that i have done i plan to keep this sled for a long time... Im hoping it lasts a few seasons on the stock motor and then i can replace that with something crazy :cool: Not to mention 07's aren't worth a whole hell of a lot to begin with anymore these days...

Yes they could of been honeycomb, but what i wanted to happen was, i had all these holes in my tunnel from the specialty sleds tunnel stiffeners, so i got him to design them so they would cover all the holes :p

You've done well! Gotta little bit left on the one sled, than I could start riding. Should have vid of it fired this weekend.

Awesome !!! i was looking to make my first trip this weekend but some things came up, maybe ill go during the week or just next next weekend :p When you head out lemme know!!! :beer:

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i got my first ride in this week and the results are in... My sled is :Snowmobile1:
All of my weekend i got a chance to ride in 2 feet of fresh with a pretty good setup base to it.

Everything worked flawlessly, no leaks nothing loosened up no rattles and or strange noises...

Ill break it down into each mod that i did and how it worked out

Clutching
Joey... you are THE MAN!!!!! my little 800R screamed at peak RPM all day, i could chop the throttle and get right back on it heavy with ease... i was so impressed. Insane amount of engine breaking... i only used the brakes once going down hills. The mod ramps also worked amazing, same peak rpm on the trails as in the hills, this thing PULLS HARD!!! Anyone looking for a clutching setup make sure you get one from Joey Snowmobile Clutch Kits, Dynamo Joe, mxzx revzone

Drop & Roll
Any time i stopped to talk with people and they took a look over my sled, they all noticed the very shallow attack angle. The XRS floats like it never did before... crawling in 2 feet of fresh up hill and hammering on it hard it stays on top the snow... I also think the tunnel clearance the track has now freed up some horsepower from having to remove snow from the tight tunnel clearances before.

Track
All i can say is W O W... i now have something called TRACTION!!!, the only way i can relate the feeling this new track gives me and how hard it hooks up and pulls is to a turbo sled... I am so used to taking runs at hills and loosing speed throughout the entire climb, no i accelerate up the hill!!!! When putting around at low speeds and hammering the throttle my stomach sinks right to my ankles... this track ROCKS!!! The extra length probably had something to do with it too :p

Suspension
Am i ever glad i grabbed this when i had the opportunity... If you are looking for a skid... get a Holz, you will NOT be disappointed... The ski's come off the snow under heavy acceleration about 3-4 inches and STAY THERE, i was hitting snow drifts and climbing 90 degrees at times and never felt as if i was going to go backwards... This thing will control any terrain... I also thought i would loose trail performance but it got better!!! i set the suspension as the instructions said and a few tips from Lund, this thing soaks up bumps like crazy!!! I couldn't be happier... The Holz scratchers also worked great... being mounted so far forward on the suspension axle really made sure the sliders weren't going to be completely melted by the time i made it to the good stuff, this position also still had great cooling effects.

SLP High Flow Intake
I can honestly say that this thing works as i have not done any other work that would affect motor performance... the sled used to sound good and strong but it SCREAMS now, the first time i opened it up i could notice a difference, even my riding partner noticed it, i can't say how well it's working or what any numbers would but, but my 800R is breathing easy now... and it sounds happy!!! WRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :p

JC custom vents
Clutch temps were great with the vent configuration i used, at any time i could touch my primary shives and keep my hand there (clutching also helped too, thanks DJ :p). Very limited amounts of snow ever made it into the engine compartment, just a great product...

Running Boards
Standing on these is soooo solid, controlling the sled is much easier now without the boards flexing, slight movements can change direction with ease... I not once had to kick my boards to clear snow, if they ever got filled after carving or side hilling, i simply would step down on them and everything would fall through... don't kick your sled... ride it!!! I did however find one issue with them... when doing very sharp mountain strap turns i step near the rear of the board (which now has no traction on it) and i could slip, there were a few instances where i stepped too far back and slipped a little as well during a climb, nothing i couldn't counter for or get me into trouble but never the less a little bit of a problem... So i may need to look at some footrest to keep from stepping too far back or some traction pieces that i can rivet to the boards. Aside from that little annoyance i would say A+

Conclusion
I am so impressed it's not even funny, my sled has gone way above my expectations and i couldn't be happier... I can not describe the level of confidence i have now... I was going over and through stuff that i would have never even looked at before... There were soo many times where i thought i would be stuck or couldn't make it, but the XRS just kept going... I will be keeping this beast for a long time to come... I got a chance to compare mine to a 2010 XP 154 that had some stuff done to it (head, pipe, can, reeds, clutching) and i gotta say, i think im going to cost my buddy some more money :p If you are looking to make your Rev into a unstoppable mountain tamer, i would suggest any of the mods i did to mine... All the Time and money i put into her seems all worth it now :Cool9:

Just some heads up, take caution out there, the snow levels are still pretty low... my ride in Golden (Quartz) i hit a rock while doing a climb, it spun me 90 degrees almost instantly but i stayed on and rode down... after looking over the sled i noticed on the under side of the running boards right where the rear suspension mount is the rock almost cut right through the bottom of the board extrusion and took off the bottom of a rivet holding my custom boards on (so much for the anodizing there) fortunately you cannot see it unless you are under looking underneath (or it's upside down i suppose). Could have been worse...

Happy New Year!!!

Top Bottom